Talon Share your storage options - Talon

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I also installed the Tractor Supply box, but anchored it a little differently. I wanted it mounted so that it could not shift at all, but is still easy to remove. I drilled through existing holes in the bed, up into the box. I used 1/4" bolts, with fender washers on both sides of the box. A nut is tightened up securely on the bottom of the box. I cut some plastic spacers to fill the gap between the nut and the bed floor. With the box in place, the four bolts extend through the bed, where they are secured with washers and nylock nuts. So I only need to remove these 4 nuts to remove the box. Since the bolts are secured to the box, I don't even have to unload the box, as I don't need to access the heads of the bolts. And, there is no bulky hardware intruding into the storage space. The box is rock solid. I can remove the cover for air filter access or oil fill, with the box in place. I did the HondaBob air intake mod, with a pre-filter inside the cab, so I don't expect to be replacing the stock filter often anyway.

I also installed the latches on the lid that Terry H suggested. Since I am not using the D rings and straps to hold the box in place, I was able to mount the latches farther outboard. I think they work a little better there, in combination with the original center hasp. I wanted to leave the original hasp, as occasionally I park where I might want to lock up the box. So far I have just been tying a short piece of rope in the hasp, so no rattles.

I just received my Factory UTV spare tire carrier yesterday. I am happy to say that the Tractor Supply lid will open fully with the carrier in place.

Nothing remarkable, but this works well for me.

Tom

W

Wigglysqiggly

May 8, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. Talon X
Did the Milwaukee set up and love it

16745EB5 3203 431C 94D4 369683CA2D98 5A677E1D 6DAA 47E5 BFF9 242C2561959E 8EF03E64 5230 407E 8907 C5FEA371CD07

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I also installed the Tractor Supply box, but anchored it a little differently. I wanted it mounted so that it could not shift at all, but is still easy to remove. I drilled through existing holes in the bed, up into the box. I used 1/4" bolts, with fender washers on both sides of the box. A nut is tightened up securely on the bottom of the box. I cut some plastic spacers to fill the gap between the nut and the bed floor. With the box in place, the four bolts extend through the bed, where they are secured with washers and nylock nuts. So I only need to remove these 4 nuts to remove the box. Since the bolts are secured to the box, I don't even have to unload the box, as I don't need to access the heads of the bolts. And, there is no bulky hardware intruding into the storage space. The box is rock solid. I can remove the cover for air filter access or oil fill, with the box in place. I did the HondaBob air intake mod, with a pre-filter inside the cab, so I don't expect to be replacing the stock filter often anyway.

I also installed the latches on the lid that Terry H suggested. Since I am not using the D rings and straps to hold the box in place, I was able to mount the latches farther outboard. I think they work a little better there, in combination with the original center hasp. I wanted to leave the original hasp, as occasionally I park where I might want to lock up the box. So far I have just been tying a short piece of rope in the hasp, so no rattles.

I just received my Factory UTV spare tire carrier yesterday. I am happy to say that the Tractor Supply lid will open fully with the carrier in place.

Tom
Finding a good idea and fine tuning it with your own ideas is how we got men on the moon and robots on Mars. 👍 👍 :cool:

For the curious, HondaBob's air intake mod is explained in the thread linked in my sig along with some other Talon tidbits.

Z

Zona

Sep 21, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I have the x4 with the tusk spare tire carrier. I really like the moose box but was wondering if the lid clears the carrier or will it hit and only let you open the box partially? I want to be able to fully open the lid of the box. I tried the tractor supply box but it hits. Does anyone know if that combo works?

2021ArthurGuinnessX4LV

2021ArthurGuinnessX4LV

Nov 15, 2020
Riverside, Ca
Ownership

1. Talon x4

Tom
I literally bought my TS box an hour ago. I was reading thru this whole post and was wondering why no one had mashed up the ideas yet. Glad someone did, now I can go that route knowing it’s been done. I think it will give it a cleaner look. I too planned on keeping the factory lock/hasp for the piece of mind but heard some mention rattling. I was thinking of dipping the hasp in some of that rubberized dip so it’s not metal on metal.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I literally bought my TS box an hour ago. I was reading thru this whole post and was wondering why no one had mashed up the ideas yet. Glad someone did, now I can go that route knowing it’s been done. I think it will give it a cleaner look. I too planned on keeping the factory lock/hasp for the piece of mind but heard some mention rattling. I was thinking of dipping the hasp in some of that rubberized dip so it’s not metal on metal.
I used 5/16" thick weatherstripping from Home Depot. That is thick enough to put some tension on the stock hasp, even with the two added latches. There is likely some variance between boxes, but that is how mine is. I have just been tying a little piece of rope through the hasp until I figure out something more elegant. But it works, and NO rattles! I rode for a couple of hours in the rain today, and there was not a drop of water in the box. Then I did a serious hose job, getting the Talon kinda clean, and still not a drop of water in the box. I am a happy camper.

B

BuckStar

Dec 31, 2020
California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I've got the moose box. Fits great with my Dirt Road Fab tailgate extender. I can fit my rtic 30 soft side cooler between it and the extender and still have room for a vp gas can if needed.

I mounted 4 hooks on it and use mini bunji cords on the back through the factory tie downs. In the front of the box I used 2 of the bunji cords with the balls through the factory tie downs and then looped over corner on the box lid. I also put some rubber weather strip on the bottom to cut down vibration. Box doesn't move even hitting high speed bumps.

I think the tractor supply box might be taller, but this one fits everything I need and came with keyed locks. Overall, I'm satisfied.

View attachment 201427 View attachment 201428
What tailgate do you have? Does it drop down and protect the engine/mount to the lower suspension point of the frame?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
M

Mobby

Aug 11, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
Looks nice ...hows the ride with all that extra weight, did it actually improve? I'm considering going with the same DRF spare tire mount but the lower position mount. Concerned the spare will drag when climbing steep hills like you said in your earlier post. Contacted DRF its a 10 week build time, they're busy.

Reactions: Smitty335
T

Theportuge

Dec 24, 2020
Tulare CA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Same talon I have... I am planning on the TSC with very similar mods. Where did you find that color of paint (what it matched or just a rattle can? And did you get the talon plate?
That looks sweet!!
Rattle can
Same talon I have... I am planning on the TSC with very similar mods. Where did you find that color of paint (what it matched or just a rattle can? And did you get the talon plate?
That looks sweet!!
rattle can. It took a little of both.
Make sure you use a good primer.
E180AB7F C43D 4DB0 BCE6 D82F6FC68844

Reactions: Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Looks nice ...hows the ride with all that extra weight, did it actually improve? I'm considering going with the same DRF spare tire mount but the lower position mount. Concerned the spare will drag when climbing steep hills like you said in your earlier post. Contacted DRF its a 10 week build time, they're busy.
The season is over here, I didn't get enough miles in to have any feedback on the extra weight. My trails are snow packed and icy now so I can't carry any speed. There's no doubt the tender springs will need a higher spring rate if not the main springs too. I have the preload set too high causing the tenders to coil bind trying to get my ride height back up to stock. I can't lower the crossovers, they're bottomed on the threads (that would stop the coil bind). I have a trip planned for Arizona shortly and hope to get it revalved and sprung at Weller. No hard date set so I can't make an appointment yet.

It's important to note that I'll spend a lot of time solo exploring in the desert, I've set up for that and I'm willing to make the compromises caused by the weight. Some think it's an awful setup but it's my Talon. :cool:

2021ArthurGuinnessX4LV

2021ArthurGuinnessX4LV

Nov 15, 2020
Riverside, Ca
Ownership

1. Talon x4
69276435 A656 4ADE AF0C D5C4121052F3
1AA74CF3 2846 43B3 996D 2C4D9CEB55EB
947DB541 94F6 4579 AB80 5EE7A690B5C8

I got it installed and opted to go with a hard cooler vs a soft. It almost fit sideways but would require trimming a half inch of the inside, so instead I’ll just keep it in this configuration (maybe buy a second one). It fits 9 bottles of water which is plenty. It was only $13 at homedepot, so I may get a second one for dry snacks. I’ll just keep a blanket folded against them to keep them from shifting around.

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
M

Mobby

Aug 11, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
CID,
I too spend a lot of time solo and totally get it and I'm looking for options. Was hoping the extra weight would help the ride in the rough.
Anyhow, lets us know how the shock upgrade goes seen a lot of good reviews from Weller.
Good info... like it or not beats a long walk back to the truck especially in the HOT desert where I live.

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
CID,
I too spend a lot of time solo and totally get it and I'm looking for options. Was hoping the extra weight would help the ride in the rough.
Anyhow, lets us know how the shock upgrade goes seen a lot of good reviews from Weller.
Good info... like it or not beats a long walk back to the truck especially in the HOT desert where I live.

I've been going to southern Utah since my first invite to Lake Powell in 1972. In that time, I've only missed a few years, including 2020. :confused: I was headed that way in March and again in October, both cancelled by covid. :confused: In 2018, I went for a willy nilly cross country trip including Alaska and 14,000 miles through Canada. That trip spanned 7 months and covered 38,295 miles.

When I got back someone asked, after seeing all that country, where was my favorite place. Before they even finished the question, I interrupted - "Southern Utah." :cool: 👍

About the rough ride, TerryH is very happy with his Bandit tender springs. If you're not racing yer brains out and backin' 'er into the turns, try unhooking your sway bar for a few rides, it made a huge difference on my R and TerryH said he'd never put his back on (Talon X).

Reactions: Scoop and Lil_Steve

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!