Talon Shift gate boot

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Does anyone make a shift gate boot to eliminate dust from coming up thru the holes

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Dust and heat both come up around the shifter. No boot available that I know of. I would be first on the list to buy one. Meantime have used foam cut to fit around shifter and slotted for shifter movement under the shifter gate and top cover.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I'd like one for winter use.

I tried cutting some rubber with a bunch of flaps, but all I had was 1/8" which was to thick and stiff.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Her's what I did on my 1000-3. It requires dash removal, but it's a permanent solution.
Shifter
Shifter2

Reactions: BWAF and CID
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Her's what I did on my 1000-3. It requires dash removal, but it's a permanent solution.View attachment 177103 View attachment 177104
That’s a good idea. I’m going to get a rubber boot similar to that and put it on top of the center console with an aluminum mounting plate. The shifter is so short, I may need to extend it a little bit. I don’t think your style will work on the Talon since the shift cable is mounted on the side of the tunnel. Amazingly enough the plastic console top is only $9 shift shaft is $12, so if I screw it up, it’s cheap to replace.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Would a piece of tire tube (about 4" x 10") fastened to the bottom of the shift gate with one lengthwise slit work for this? You wouldn't need 'gates', just a 10" (?) long slit.

fwiw: I don't own yet but spent 3 days riding in a Talon at the SxS rally at Sand Hollow.

Reactions: Lil_Steve
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Would a piece of tire tube (about 4" x 10") fastened to the bottom of the shift gate with one lengthwise slit work for this? You wouldn't need 'gates', just a 10" (?) long slit.

fwiw: I don't own yet but spent 3 days riding in a Talon at the SxS rally at Sand Hollow.
Maybe, but I don’t think the slit will stay closed.

Reactions: CID
B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
if you look down thru the shift gate, you can see all the holes in the factory skid plate. When I added an aftermarket 1/2" skid plate, it helped a lot with the dust. It does hold the heat in more so next summer I may regret it LOL

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I'd be worried about the slit method messing with proper gear engagement. But I guess I already have that issue with no rubber.

I may try again with the 1/16" thick neoprene I have coming. I wonder if 2 separate pieces curved down parallel to the shifter might work better?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Two separate pieces curved down parallel to the shifter might work if they were fastened close enough together to keep them touching. About messing with gear engagement - 'in gear' is toward the driver, maybe that could be favored when fastening them.

Is the plastic gate itself fairly easy to remove? Or is it the entire console?

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks. Then experimenting should be pretty easy.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!