N

Nine2Nine

Feb 24, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2
Looking for a little input here, I couldn't find it with a search:

2018 - P3 1000 LE

First 100 miles were always with the kids in the woods, 10 MPH or less, always in High as Low was way too low. It was always shifting but I got used to it. Then I got it out for 5 miles solo to give it a good pull ( it felt ok ) and then something has changed with this unit.

Load the kids back up and this thing feels like it's two gears high at all time in High like a tractor about to stall and Low seems fine for lower speeds.

Something has changed, it's not in my head like I thought, I'm an aircraft mechanic and a machinist, I know when something has changed haha.
( And how about the pre shift noise like someone hitting the box with a shovel )

Has this happened before? I know the blank stare I will get at the dealer..

Thanks

Last edited:

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Looking for a little input here, I couldn't find it with a search:

2018 - P3 1000 LE

First 100 miles were always with the kids in the woods, 10 MPH or less, always in High as Low was way too low. It was always shifting but I got used to it. Then I got it out for 5 miles solo to give it a good pull ( it felt ok ) and then something has changed with this unit.

Load the kids back up and this thing feels like it's two gears high at all time in High like a tractor about to stall and Low seems fine for lower speeds.

Something has changed, it's not in my head like I thought, I'm an aircraft mechanic and a machinist, I know when something has changed haha.
( And how about the pre shift noise like someone hitting the box with a shovel )

Has this happened before? I know the blank stare I will get at the dealer..

Thanks
Pre-shift noise is a normal (albeit annoying) sound of the transmission. Mine is either getting quieter or I'm getting used to it. I really do think it's getting quieter though as is the rear diff whine. (3,000 ish miles). Only time mine feels like its about to stall is if I accelerate slowly from a standstill and it shifts to 2nd and then I go up an incline. Engine will slow to really low rpm before trans downshifts back to first.
And I know that blank stare from the dealer all too well sir!

Reactions: BWAF
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Duh! Just had a thought, are you still in manual mode? I think the 18's remember the mode you choose. older ones forget when you change gears.
Try setting your switch to auto and report back.

N

Nine2Nine

Feb 24, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2
Duh! Just had a thought, are you still in manual mode? I think the 18's remember the mode you choose. older ones forget when you change gears.
Try setting your switch to auto and report back.

No that's not it, something with the unit has changed and to be honest I'm not sure if it's better or worse.
I just feel High should carry an adult and two small kids without any issue.
Regardless of the speed.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had my machine in high all week at Takeover, Had myself 200#, wife, weight unknown, and close to 120lbs of tools, parts, coolers, mud etc.
I had zero problems keeping up with anybody.
If you get blank stares at dealer. Challenge them to a drag race. You in one of their machines, them in yours.
Is your seat belt being used?

N

Nine2Nine

Feb 24, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2
I had my machine in high all week at Takeover, Had myself 200#, wife, weight unknown, and close to 120lbs of tools, parts, coolers, mud etc.
I had zero problems keeping up with anybody.
If you get blank stares at dealer. Challenge them to a drag race. You in one of their machines, them in yours.
Is your seat belt being used?

My dealer is good they just have limited knowledge, thought maybe it was more of a break in thing. All their new units are grounded till Honda gets the recalls done. Mine came with the recall on the heat shield done but there is still an open one.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My dealer is good they just have limited knowledge, thought maybe it was more of a break in thing. All their new units are grounded till Honda gets the recalls done. Mine came with the recall on the heat shield done but there is still an open one.
Hmmmm... I thought Neohio had it nailed when I read his post about manual mode. Only other thing I can think of (which should be done anyway) is check/tighten every grounding point, wiring harness, nut, bolt, screw and other fastener that you can possibly find on the entire machine. You'll be amazed how shoddy the workmanship is on these things. This ain't your father's Honda.

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
Hmmmm... I thought Neohio had it nailed when I read his post about manual mode. Only other thing I can think of (which should be done anyway) is check/tighten every grounding point, wiring harness, nut, bolt, screw and other fastener that you can possibly find on the entire machine. You'll be amazed how shoddy the workmanship is on these things. This ain't your father's Honda.

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
Is the computer still learnig your driving habits. And your solo run was fast and easy. Try a reset as per manual instructions and see what happens

Reactions: Nine2Nine and BWAF
djracer

djracer

Jun 2, 2017
Wetumpka, Al.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
unless you are running on an open road or trail you should be in low. Atleast that is what I was told. it will run 30's in low. i was told it was better on the clutch.

advertisement
N

Nine2Nine

Feb 24, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2

Think it was 20X $ my fathers Honda haha, I have gone over everything since I discovered my " scoop plate ", the front bolts of my skid plate all missing and collecting all kinds of interesting things..

N

Nine2Nine

Feb 24, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2
Is the computer still learnig your driving habits. And your solo run was fast and easy. Try a reset as per manual instructions and see what happens

Can you explain, I see nothing like this in the manual..

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
Hi, I have a 1000 3 and it's a noisy, whining, hot, clanking, high revving shift all the time in high or low depending on riding conditions but knows what gear to be in in automatic once in "learns" how you drive. It's not too bad on noise or heat with no accessories as in windshield, roof, and back. I use Honda GN4 oil and it don't make no difference on the 100 mile service on any of them if you use GN4. Have had all 3 models. All 3 dependable and yep you get use to them. 1000 is by far my favorite.

N

Nine2Nine

Feb 24, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi, I have a 1000 3 and it's a noisy, whining, hot, clanking, high revving shift all the time in high or low depending on riding conditions but knows what gear to be in in automatic once in "learns" how you drive. It's not too bad on noise or heat with no accessories as in windshield, roof, and back. I use Honda GN4 oil and it don't make no difference on the 100 mile service on any of them if you use GN4. Have had all 3 models. All 3 dependable and yep you get use to them. 1000 is by far my favorite.

Pretty well sums it up yup ! I'm sure I'm just a little spooked, I don't find mine all that hot, I did take the engine cover off, that's a no brainer for me. Amazing what a little air can do. I'll either learn it, it can learn me or it will be gone..
Thanks

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
???? I don't think they have driver logic memory ?????? Mine would be confused all the time.

Reactions: jawquin and BWAF
jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
Pretty well sums it up yup ! I'm sure I'm just a little spooked, I don't find mine all that hot, I did take the engine cover off, that's a no brainer for me. Amazing what a little air can do. I'll either learn it, it can learn me or it will be gone..
Thanks
I don't notice hot until it's over 75 or so out. Run the roads at 35mph+ for several miles. Run trails 0-20 mph climbing and crawling low high or whatever. Have done it for over 8000 miles in these Honda Pioneer. No need to be spooked you'll be fine.

advertisement