Shifting problem

I

iluvuk

Nov 1, 2014
I love my Pioneer 500! This thing is awesome and it will do it all. However, I have a question and some concerns. First, My pioneer when new and out of the box so to speak, shifted really rough with a loud clunk and a jerk with each shift. Now, after about 90 miles, it shifts smoother but it seems to slip slightly going into gear when shifting up as if a clutch is slipping or something before it grabs. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of thing. The salesman said the shifting is supposed to get smoother as it breaks in but I am concerned something has been damaged. Also, would downshifting under throttle causing a rev and then it not shifting into gear damage anything?

B

birdman

Jul 20, 2014
The clutch is out of adjustment, same thing happened to me. Its pretty easy to adjust ,take the seat bottom off pull the robber cover off the drivers side like you do to check the oil . There is a set screw and locknut on the front of the engine loosen up the nut turn the screw 1 turn clockwise then turn the screw counterclockwise until you feel some resistance then turn it clockwise 1/4 turn and lock the nut. you will find that its adjusted too tight causing the clutch to slip, fourth to fifth was the worse for me. You can youtube how to do it as most Honda automatic clutches are the same .

Reactions: Montecresto
M

markl

Sep 11, 2014
I agree with birdman. Same adjustment procedure on my 2004 Honda 350 but it seems a little soon to have to do this after only 90 miles.

B

birdman

Jul 20, 2014
The adjustment was too tight which leads me to think it was misadjusted from the factory. Anyway it a easy fix he could even bring it back as I don't see a dealership charging for that adjustment on a brand new unit.

I

iluvuk

Nov 1, 2014
birdman said:
The adjustment was too tight which leads me to think it was misadjusted from the factory. Anyway it a easy fix he could even bring it back as I don't see a dealership charging for that adjustment on a brand new unit.

Thanks! I'll try it. Any links to youtube videos on the subject or pics??

B

birdman

Jul 20, 2014
If you type in "Honda atv clutch adjustment" you'll find a video

I

iluvuk

Nov 1, 2014
birdman said:
If you type in "Honda atv clutch adjustment" you'll find a video

Thanks Birdman. Just got around to adjusting the clutch screw. It worked perfectly exactly as you described. Now, if you could have just given me instructions that easy to install my winch! Arghhh

B

birdman

Jul 20, 2014
The true value of these forums is being able to get advise from like minded people that have had the same issues, glad I could help.

M

Mypioneer

Jan 1, 2015
Arnaudville LA
I find when down shifting to 2nd gear it engages really hard, if this the same as the above issue.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!