The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Sooooo. Got the new WE shocks on front and rear, but I see a potential problem. The fitting coming off the rear shock body to the reservoir is pretty close to the frame. I can't mount it the other direction on the driver's side because the 520s exhaust is now straight and runs right next to the frame. So I'm only left with this choice. I tried compressing the rear suspension as much as I could to see if this fitting will hit the frame, and though I am fat, I couldn't compress it enough and look at the same time. I don't want to find out the hard way on the trail that it doesn't have enough clearance. I see most of the 500 folks mount it with the fitting on the other side but I obviously don't have that option.

Certainly WE would have tested this out first? Thoughts?

Driver's side
PXL 20220605 233519562

Passenger side
PXL 20220605 233537299

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I think you'll be alright.

Famous last words. lol

I think he is talking about the nipple out of the shock head.

Yup.

Put your phone on video and then lean on it?

I need to eat a few more cheeseburgers first. Even jumping on it, I still can't compress it all the way. That probably won't be the case when I start taking it off some sweet jumps.

Also, looks like I'm going to have to pull them back off to adjust the preload. It sits about 0.75" lower in the rear than it did with the stockers. I bought a spanner wrench set from Amazon, but there's no way to get one in there to turn it, so, off they come. Plan is to compress the spring about another inch and hope that raises it up some more. Ideally, I'd like it to sit about 0.5" higher than stock.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Sooooo. Got the new WE shocks on front and rear, but I see a potential problem. The fitting coming off the rear shock body to the reservoir is pretty close to the frame. I can't mount it the other direction on the driver's side because the 520s exhaust is now straight and runs right next to the frame. So I'm only left with this choice. I tried compressing the rear suspension as much as I could to see if this fitting will hit the frame, and though I am fat, I couldn't compress it enough and look at the same time. I don't want to find out the hard way on the trail that it doesn't have enough clearance. I see most of the 500 folks mount it with the fitting on the other side but I obviously don't have that option.

Driver's side
View attachment 337482
Passenger side
View attachment 337483
Put a ratchet tie down on it and crank it down .

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
cant you just rotate the shock so the nipple is on the other side? Have done that on trucks/Jeeps. May have to relocate the reservoir as well.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Since you have to take the shocks off to set the preload, you could remove one shock, remove the spring, reinstall w/o spring and pull down with a ratchet strap as mentioned above. This might let you get to 'hard bottom' and see if that nipple clears.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
cant you just rotate the shock so the nipple is on the other side? Have done that on trucks/Jeeps. May have to relocate the reservoir as well.
Nope. Nipple hits the exhaust.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Since you have to take the shocks off to set the preload, you could remove one shock, remove the spring, reinstall w/o spring and pull down with a ratchet strap as mentioned above. This might let you get to 'hard bottom' and see if that nipple clears.
I picture this going poorly for me, with the end result of me missing some teeth. I imagine that spring would need compressed a bit to get the nut threads to engage. I could be wrong, but it seems that way.

Brmcg324

Brmcg324

Supporting Member
Aug 17, 2020
SW Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
The question is what amount of wheel travel would produce enough angle motion to hit the fitting. Maybe drive one wheel up on a ramp or rock with some wheel travel and stop there where you could look at how close the fitting is versus the frame. May be impossible to stop exactly where you could look at it. Trying to get an idea of that fitting‘s movement within the range of wheel travel. The short wheel travel of the 500/520 may be what saves this from hitting the fitting.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The question is what amount of wheel travel would produce enough angle motion to hit the fitting. Maybe drive one wheel up on a ramp or rock with some wheel travel and stop there where you could look at how close the fitting is versus the frame. May be impossible to stop exactly where you could look at it. Trying to get an idea of that fitting‘s movement within the range of wheel travel. The short wheel travel of the 500/520 may be what saves this from hitting the fitting.
Good idea, this is how I checked to see if my tender springs were coil binding.

I 4fqvQFp XL

I 4Tvb4VR X2

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Epiphany! I think when I unbolt the bottom shock bolt, I will lift the A-arm to see how high the mounting hole goes at full compression. Then lower the arm and pivot the shock to roughly the same angle. In my mind, this seems like it should work. No compression needed.

LilRedDonkey

LilRedDonkey

Feb 25, 2021
cheesyland
Ownership

1. 500
I think you'll be alright.

Driver's side
View attachment 337482
Passenger side
View attachment 337483
can you turn the passenger side so you only worry about one instead of both?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!