P500 Shifting seems to be getting inconsistent.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Last few rides, I've noticed what seems to be some inconsistent clutch re-engagement during shifts. This has always been present to some degree, esp in the upper gears, and often you need to ride for a few minutes to get a real feel for the adjustment, but it seems like it's getting worse.
It's almost like the shift motor doesn't let the shift mechanism return to center fast enough, and adjusting the clutch seems to be too little or too much at times...and I've been playing with it for a few rides.

It has been starting fine, but I wonder if maybe the battery is getting towards the end of it. I know the ESP stuff was always sensitive to this, and AFAIK, the battery is the one it rolled off the truck with back in 2015.

Reactions: Russ989
G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
Last few rides, I've noticed what seems to be some inconsistent clutch re-engagement during shifts. This has always been present to some degree, esp in the upper gears, and often you need to ride for a few minutes to get a real feel for the adjustment, but it seems like it's getting worse.
It's almost like the shift motor doesn't let the shift mechanism return to center fast enough, and adjusting the clutch seems to be too little or too much at times...and I've been playing with it for a few rides.

It has been starting fine, but I wonder if maybe the battery is getting towards the end of it. I know the ESP stuff was always sensitive to this, and AFAIK, the battery is the one it rolled off the truck with back in 2015.
How many miles are on your P5?

Reactions: DG Rider
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I’d say your battery is due for replacement, those batteries have a rough life with all of the vibration and heat. I’d check it with a volt meter before I pulled it though, the 500 battery placement is a PITA! As you well know.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
How many miles are on your P5?
34**
I’d say your battery is due for replacement, those batteries have a rough life with all of the vibration and heat. I’d check it with a volt meter before I pulled it though, the 500 battery placement is a PITA! As you well know.
I went out and checked it last night after typing that 1st post. 13.01 volts. So it certainly is fully charged. Didn't realize it was an AGM battery until then.

I should note that we are not talking about HUGE changes in shifting here where the machine comes to a stop on a hill and then does a neutral-drop style take off. Subtle stuff.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
It's all in that fine area of correct clutch adjustment.It shows itself more in 4th and 5th gear because the load on the clutch is greater in higher gears.Adjust for a nice smooth shift in 1st through 3rd,and a little slippage before full engagement is present during 4th and 5th.This is more pronounced at greater throttle settings.Just have to find that happy in between setting.Mine is the same way.It does seem to help a tad when the shift paddle is held until the shift is complete,instead of a quick tap.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It's all in that fine area of correct clutch adjustment.It shows itself more in 4th and 5th gear because the load on the clutch is greater in higher gears.Adjust for a nice smooth shift in 1st through 3rd,and a little slippage before full engagement is present during 4th and 5th.This is more pronounced at greater throttle settings.Just have to find that happy in between setting.Mine is the same way.It does seem to help a tad when the shift paddle is held until the shift is complete,instead of a quick tap.
That's pretty much where it's at.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
My battery read good volts, but
34**

I went out and checked it last night after typing that 1st post. 13.01 volts. So it certainly is fully charged. Didn't realize it was an AGM battery until then.

I should note that we are not talking about HUGE changes in shifting here where the machine comes to a stop on a hill and then does a neutral-drop style take off. Subtle stuff.
Had a different issue, and battery read good voltage but was weak under load, replaced it and all ok.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
My battery read good volts, but

Had a different issue, and battery read good voltage but was weak under load, replaced it and all ok.
I do need to load test it.

T

Tstover

Dec 15, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Mine was shifting just as nctrailboss explained. Seemed like it wanted to take forever to shift into those higher gears, but was fine in the first 3. Did the clutch adjustment and that thing was slamming into gear, way too harsh. I started making small adjustments every ride, like a 16th of a turn at a time until I found the spot I was happy with.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!