E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just wondering how you guys shift from Low to High. I always come to a stop before shifting. Is that necessary with the Honda transmission?

Rig is running great and don't want to mess anything up but it would be smoother to come out of the woods in Low and just throw it in High to head across the fields.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just wondering how you guys shift from Low to High. I always come to a stop before shifting. Is that necessary with the Honda transmission?

Rig is running great and don't want to mess anything up but it would be smoother to come out of the woods in Low and just throw it in High to head across the fields.
I usually stop

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I stop to shift from high to low because that's what the manual says to do and I figure better safe than sorry. Pretty sure all atv/utvs require a stop when shifting between ranges. I know the Polaris Sportsman and Yamaha Grizzly do.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Always stop when shifting from low to high. It will shift if it's rolling 1mph or less as I've done it accidentally before. But I always want to be stopped.

As for the 4wd selector, I've never stopped. Even when I had the pioneer 700. I don't care if I'm running 40 miles an hour. I just don't do it in a sharp turn or while spinning the rear tires faster than the front.

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
I stop as well. I also stop to shift it into any other thing like to put it in or take it out of 4wd and any other mode. Then I go slow and/or put it in reverse and turn and what not until it says it is in the mode I put it in and then it hammer down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I never stop when shifting it got a little over 900 miles on with out any transmission problems.
That being said I never EVER shift under a load!!!
with no load on the drive train it shifts as smooth as a gear change.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

Yes you should stop before you change it from high to low or low to high. You can jump off a mountain even though you don't suppose to.

adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
I never stop when shifting it got a little over 900 miles on with out any transmission problems.

I only stop if im putting in 4 lock or low to high/high to low. Shifting from 2wd to 4wd on a slow roll not under load meshes gear together perfectly.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Manual, shmanual ! lol
This is what I do - always at low speed, no load. And before I hit the gnarly stuff.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Always stop when shifting from low to high. It will shift if it's rolling 1mph or less as I've done it accidentally before. But I always want to be stopped.

As for the 4wd selector, I've never stopped. Even when I had the pioneer 700. I don't care if I'm running 40 miles an hour. I just don't do it in a sharp turn or while spinning the rear tires faster than the front.
This exactly. Well said brother!

Reactions: Eltobgi and sharp
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
For those that ignore the manual on 2wd / 4wd shifts but the follow then manual for high / low - what is your reason?
The high / low shift can have both gears engaged at the same time during the shift?
I may reconsider my approach even though Ive never noticed a problem doing it at low speed.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
2wd-4wd shift is just like an old truck with locked hubs. If everything is spinning the same no damage. They put warning on there so someone doesn't jamb it into 4wd while spinning the back tires in mud or snow.
Low to high range you are jamming gears at different speeds. Lower speeds it'll go if you roll off throttle but I don't suggest it. It's kind of like shifting a manual without a clutch, don't miss, personally I don't do that often.
Remember this:
"Coffee is hot don't burn your lips" -thanks from McDonalds mgt" that's Hondas approach to anything that could cause harm

Last edited:
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Don't forget that you are trying to mesh a driven gear with the High/Low associated transmission gears without the benefit of syncronizers. Without the syncs you are trying to mesh two different sized gears going at two different speeds. They might match up or they might skip a tooth or two. That skipping (grinding sound) is something that the gears aren't designed to handle and will eventually break.

While the Diff doesn't have syncs either they are pretty much already turning at similar speeds (assuming you aren't turning at the time), just maybe not quite meshed together.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the insight. What I had assumed but was wondering if these new trannys were any different.

I'm going to keep on stopping between range shifts.

Reactions: sporttrac4x4
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I assume the manual was written in Kalifornia.
So when they say 'stop ' they mean like a 'Kalifornia stop '.
The high / low gear change is engaging a dog clutch, not actual gears.
so it is more like shifting a motorcycle without the clutch. (See the manual page 12-16)
At low speed it doesn't seam to mind.

The diff lock is a sliding collar with splines on it (if its like the old ATVs) .
There is a lost motion device that is spring loaded - you can move it by hand at the diff and feel this.
So even if you stop the collar may not engage untill your moving.
So I assume low speed should be just fine.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!