AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
Has anyone used them? The more I ride, the more I notice the front end dropping all the way coming over rises or dropping into washouts. I like the adjustability of their straps but are they better than others? What others? The clunk sounds like it could get expensive in the long run!

Smittyp

Smittyp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 3, 2020
Morgan co. Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
Has anyone used them? The more I ride, the more I notice the front end dropping all the way coming over rises or dropping into washouts. I like the adjustability of their straps but are they better than others? What others? The clunk sounds like it could get expensive in the long run!
I had them on my talon R. They worked great. If you’re interested I still have them for sale. Pm me if interested

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have them. They work great. Like @HondaTech said, only need them if your jumping or ride where you extend the shock alot like i do on our sandy snowmobile trails.

AMink

AMink

Supporting Member
Jun 6, 2023
Reno, NV
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV
I have them. They work great. Like @HondaTech said, only need them if your jumping or ride where you extend the shock alot like i do on our sandy snowmobile trails.
I don't necessarily ride hard (all the time) but even crawling along sometimes the tire drops off a rock and hits full extension before the rest of the machine is coming down. Same with going through washouts in the trail. No jumping.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Being mechanically sympathetic, I hated the topping out CLANG and bought the ST limiters as soon as they became available. They do what they're supposed to but ST is very proud of them $$$. There are alternatives available now that weren't on the market then. I posted some photos back then but have no idea what thread.

eta: fronts only, the rears don't do it.

Last edited:
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
If u can understand a tape measure and don’t have a thick wallet, get from prp or similar - instructions are on their web site on what to measure or they may already have it figured out for a talon.

If u have a fat wallet and can’t read a tape measure - go with ST.

IMO - lol

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
The factory Fox shocks have top out limiters inside them. The clunking noise you hear is the spring moving inside the shock when it gets close to full travel. My shock tuner pulled that bulls*** out of all 4 of my shocks and I've had zero issues with them and I don't run limiting straps per the shock tuner. I can also guarantee you I jump mine higher and further than most here. If you want to waste money and limit your suspension travel by all means go buy some limit straps to stop the clunking noise that's supposed to be there..... 🙄

It really sounds like some of you don't realize you bought a crude SxS and not a Jeep. If you want a noise free offroad experience maybe consider a Wrangler.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is all the extra crap that was pulled out of my shocks.......

20210227 142220

20210227 142408

Those 4 springs are what you guys hear clunking......

Reactions: Remington
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
What I - think - I hear is it hitting those rubber stoppers HARD.
For me its a hard bottom, thump.

Those rubber stoppers in my picture are the old bump stops that came off the shock shafts, there are no rubber stoppers inside the shock. The small springs in that picture mount under the piston around the rod and make contact with the inside of the shock an inch or so before it fully tops out and compresses the spring, that's what you are hearing. If you limit the shock so it doesn't "clunk" you are losing travel.

Have you ever checked the nitrogen charge in your shocks? Low pressure can cause the shocks to be overly noisy in my experience.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
This is how ST describes the need for the straps. Right or wrong, just pass along the info.
IMG 7703

Pirate88

Pirate88

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2023
Southern Colorado
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
waalll...I have the very best Shock Therapy Fox 2.5 RIS2 shocks on the General. Had that "clunk" when going over bumps and such.
No, ST doesn't have a fix. They recommended Limit Straps...that they did not make at the time.
So I made my own, working with Sandcraft.

As you may know, the Fox 2.5 shocks are big...large diameter springs. Thus requiring 1.75" stand offs. The steel eye of the shock bolt locations is 1.25" in diameter. So I made four of the stand-offs on the lathe.

The strap? Well, get the front wheels off the ground, wheels on. So the suspension is at full droop.
Measure the distance between the center of the upper and lower shock bolts. Do both front wheels to assure there isn't a
mechanical problem somewhere.
Now, subtract 1" from the measurement. Contact Sandcraft and they will fabricate limit straps to your length.
Install 'em and ride!
Pirate

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!