BOX1

Shock Therapy Update

prostreet66mustang

prostreet66mustang

Dec 6, 2020
Oro Valley (Tucson) Az
Ownership

1. Talon R
To start this is only for me. I sold a track car that I had raced for two years. One of 4 I built and raced. Sold to buy the TalonR for seat time and to race. Road tracks closed because of Covid. First phone quote out the door 1250. springs and valveing. Added some things and 2500. later. For that much could not talk with a tech. about set up. Just told to see web site? Look at there web site for adjusting rebound. So sad that no customer care or support. Was way too soft out of the gate. Cranking down on the high speed adjustment and still worst bottom out at anything above 60. Bucking is worse as the rebound is so bad. Running the same trails I did with stock and yes it is stiff when stock but so much better than now. At 70 it is on the bump stops for everything. It did take care of the slow bumps below 40 and stayed flat to turn but is not as fast through a corner. The Honda people got it pretty close. I did run mine turned up to 3 all the time. Do have 3500 miles on trashing as hard as I can on it. The Honda will not jump, will not run the woops smooth but dose have to roll over on that back tire to corner fast. If you have an R and bought it to run wide open you know the drill. I may be putting some of the stock springs back on and trying to adjust it out to race. Really disappointed for that much invested so much lack of support and input. I think the Honda Talon is just to new and they are not sure of what really to do. Wish I could have rode or drove an updated one before going backwards like this. This is only my experience and what I am working with. Very open to any ones input that is into the racing or just running an R for what the R stands for. Before you tell me to check all the measurements they are right.(per there web site) BE SAFE Remember check on that person broke down out there.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Thanks for the update. That further make my decision easier to go to Weller Racing when the time comes to upgrade. Waiting on Weller to get a good setup for the 4 seater ready. Had a friend with shock therapy on a can am who had the same support issues.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I am sorry to hear about the lack of communication from ST. That differs from what I have heard about them before. Perhaps they are getting too big or too busy? For that kind of money, I would want to be able to have a serious conversation with the shop. ST and Weller are both within a couple of hours of me. I am actually fairly happy with my 2021R suspension wise, but I know there are improvements to be made.

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Talk to Ed Niemela. I know he meets up with his customers for test/tune sessions at Barstow, etc.

Reactions: Blownzuki and CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you are looking for race shock and spring tuning on a Talon R there are only 2 names to be looking at......

Gary @ Gforce Racing Technology
or
George @ Double E Racing

Both of these shock tuners are very familiar with tuning go fast Talons and both are VERY good at it. These guys are not just going to slap in a one size fits all valve stack and throw some springs at the car like ST and a bunch of other "tuners" are, these guys ask tons of questions and what the intended use is going to be and set you up from there.
Personally, I am using Double E Racing for the shock tuning on my Talon R short course car that I built to race at Texplex this season. I mainly chose Double E because he is local(ish) to me and also races a Talon at the same track. I figure having the tuner at the track every race for questions/adjustments is worth its weight in gold.

And because I'm a picture whore...... 😁
20201101 164851

JS45

JS45

Jul 23, 2020
Fla
Ownership

1. Talon R
When are you goin to put your shocks on the car? I want to her her finished not with the struts!

JS45

JS45

Jul 23, 2020
Fla
Ownership

1. Talon R
Can you give us an idea of what the other shock tuners will do and a general estimate of the cost? I think a lot of people here would like to know what the options are and about how much it runs.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
When are you goin to put your shocks on the car? I want to her her finished not with the struts!

Me too....

First race of the season is the 20th of this month and I'm a little behind schedule because of work travel and some other unforseen issues that came up these last few months. Car is currently at the fabricator getting an aluminum roof and door skins installed, and when I get it back its going to be a thrash session to put the car back together before I go to the track for testing on the 19th.

Reactions: JS45
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Can you give us an idea of what the other shock tuners will do and a general estimate of the cost? I think a lot of people here would like to know what the options are and about how much it runs.
Your best bet is to give those guys a call and discuss pricing with them. I will say that both of the guys I mentioned above were in the ballpark with what ST quoted someone on this site for a full build with DSC adjusters and springs.

H

HondaTech

Me too....

First race of the season is the 20th of this month and I'm a little behind schedule because of work travel and some other unforseen issues that came up these last few months. Car is currently at the fabricator getting an aluminum roof and door skins installed, and when I get it back its going to be a thrash session to put the car back together before I go to the track for testing on the 19th.

We still dont have our engine parts.
😳

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
😳
They're in a ship or in a cargo container on the dock due to a dock worker strike, it's all over the media?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
😳

That sucks! How many weeks do you guys have left before the first race?

6 months ago I was figuring by this point my car would have been long finished and I would have worn a set of Hoosiers out practicing at Texplex on the weekends...... Boy was I waaay off! :confused:

H

HondaTech

That sucks! How many weeks do you guys have left before the first race?

6 months ago I was figuring by this point my car would have been long finished and I would have worn a set of Hoosiers out practicing at Texplex on the weekends...... Boy was I waaay off! :confused:

The 28th of this month.

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693
JS45

JS45

Jul 23, 2020
Fla
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hondatech where are y’all racing and what type of racing is planned for the season?!

Slowpoke I’ve seen a young kid running Texolex and it looks amazing there. Best of luck to you in the upcoming season. Post pictures results and videos when you can please.

Same to you Hondatech

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Slowpoke I’ve seen a young kid running Texolex and it looks amazing there. Best of luck to you in the upcoming season. Post pictures results and videos when you can please.
Yup, Texplex IS amazing and I am lucky enough to live 45min from the front gate! 😁

I will definitely post up pictures/video and results from my adventures this season.

H

HondaTech

Hondatech where are y’all racing and what type of racing is planned for the season?!

Same to you Hondatech

IXCR series in Indiana.

We're looking into the TexPlex 12 hour race again as well.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!