sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, went out to see how the new tires feel and was pleased. But, I scrubbed the passenger rear tire with full compression. That made me realize I’m not sure what the adjustments on the Fox QS3 shocks really do.

So, can someone please give a tutorial on what 1-2-3 settings really mean as well as what compressing the spring does?

Reactions: sharp
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
1 is soft, 2 is medium, 3 is firm. They act exactly as it sounds. The softer the setting the slower “softer” the rebound of the shock. U usually use the soft setting for more articulate riding. Compressing or Loading the shock firms the ride a bit and can also give you a slight lift to help with clearance issues but it’s not your end all to those problems.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Adding preload will increase your ride height or return the machine to stock ride height if it's heavily loaded. What do usually ride with for payload and passengers? How much preload do you have on the spring?

Compression damping is going to set your shock response to bumps. I like soft for rock crawling and rough trails. Medium is great for high speed sand and gravel. I dont really like Firm for anything but it's ok on road. On a typical day of riding I switch from med-soft and back a couple times depending on trail sections that I know.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You might need preload (I set mine to roughly factory ride height with stock tires)

After that the shocks can be adjusted to the three settings depending on how spirited you drive.

I usually leave mine on medium/ soft for technical/ hard would be for following @Hondasxs through the woods MFer rides fast.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, I didn’t add any load when I installed them. I don’t have passengers, but only occasionally. I carry about 40lbs of gear on a big ride, but very little routinely.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, does the spring set how easily the tire comes up and the dial set how quickly it returns to the ground?

Simply?

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, does the spring set how easily the tire comes up and the dial set how quickly it returns to the ground?

Simply?

Not really. The spring sets the load required to cycle the suspension through it's travel. The dial sets the rate of change in shock stroke. In our machines the knob controls compression damping. So the knob changes how quickly the shock can compress. Soft allows the highest shock shaft velocity and the least control. Firm slows the shock velocity but may make the ride feel too stiff. Since we don't rebound damping I prefer a bit extra spring preload to stiffen the ride but the soft damping setting to allow the shock to respond to bumps a bit quicker when the trail gets rough.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Add about ¼-⅜” extra preload to the left side of you ride solo mainly.

I added about ⅜” more to rear than I needed because I am usually loaded up when on rough terrain and it’s loaded for work around the house.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not really. The spring sets the load required to cycle the suspension through it's travel. The dial sets the rate of change in shock stroke. In our machines the knob controls compression damping. So the knob changes how quickly the shock can compress. Soft allows the highest shock shaft velocity and the least control. Firm slows the shock velocity but may make the ride feel too stiff. Since we don't rebound damping I prefer a bit extra spring preload to stiffen the ride but the soft damping setting to allow the shock to respond to bumps a bit quicker when the trail gets rough.

REALLY WISH THERE WAS A DASH MOUNTED KNOB!!! Soft and medium would get swapped more often.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!