russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Somewhere, somebody sat in a cubicle today and contemplated the purchase of skinny jeans, and felt that they were alive.

I felt the crunch of desert rock under my tires, and the solace of a silent desert canyon.

We are gods among men...View attachment 99622 View attachment 99623
...and these are our [HASHTAG]#getaway[/HASHTAG] machines...

Actually, God has blessed us beyond measure.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
20200912 181951
20200912 175101 HDR

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Sharpe eyes will note the Florence coke ovens in the distance...

View attachment 225028

That's one of my favorite area's to ride. 5 years ago I was fortunate enough to visit the ovens up close, it's since been closed off due to vandalism. A buddy of mine took us out in his RZR and I knew a SXS was in my future after that ride.

I CGzXsW7 XL

I V9jBkTg XL

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
That's one of my favorite area's to ride. 5 years ago I was fortunate enough to visit the ovens up close, it's since been closed off due to vandalism. A buddy of mine took us out in his RZR and I knew a SXS was in my future after that ride.

View attachment 225129

View attachment 225130
I'm sure you know that they have become a hot topic on some of the FB pages locally (if you even mention them, about 50 self-appointed land police will remind you that they are on private land, etc), and that one of them collapsed.

I'm relatively new to this area of AZ, but it's my understanding that they have been "private property" for decades, but enforcement was lax. The new owner(s) have been much more aggressive in trying to keep people out...to the point of calling sheriffs and supposedly brandishing a shotgun.

I went once, about a year and a half ago...shortly before they became a hot topic again. I saw all sorts of older posted signs after I was already there, so at that point, I stopped, took some pics, and left and will not be returning. They are cool relics, but the beautiful terrain surrounding them is even more so, and open to exploration...so no point in breaking the law and drawing the ire of the owner with so much else to explore.

Last edited:
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm sure you know that they have become a hot topic on some of the FB pages locally (if you even mention them, about 50 self-appointed land police will remind you that they are on private land, etc), and that one of them collapsed.

I'm relatively new to this area of AZ, but it's my understanding that they have been "private property" for decades, but enforcement was lax. The new owner(s) have been much more aggressive in trying to keep people out...to the point of calling sheriffs and supposedly brandishing a shotgun.

I went once, about a year and a half ago...shortly before they became a hot topic again. I saw all sorts of older posted signs after I was already there, so at that point, I stopped, took some pics, and left and will not be returning. They are cool relics, but the beautiful terrain surrounding them is even more so, and open to exploration...so no point in breaking the law and drawing the ire of the owner with so much else to explore.

Like you, now I enjoy them from across the river. There's still an annual "Day after Thanksgiving" Coke ovens ride that I participate in but we no longer have permission to be on the landowners property, so we ride some of the surrounding area instead. I ride sweep/support following a bunch of off-road motorcyclists that have way more skill than I possess. So I cheat and bring my SxS!

I've heard people used to post pictures of their Jeep/SxS with a wheel on the actual oven all over social media. I can't blame the landowner for aggressively protecting his property, there's always a few people who ruin things for others. Some locals from Superior mentioned the "collapse" of the one oven was vandalism. So sad. Whenever I encounter a no trespassing sign, I simply turn my ass around.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Like you, now I enjoy them from across the river. There's still an annual "Day after Thanksgiving" Coke ovens ride that I participate in but we no longer have permission to be on the landowners property, so we ride some of the surrounding area instead. I ride sweep/support following a bunch of off-road motorcyclists that have way more skill than I possess. So I cheat and bring my SxS!

I've heard people used to post pictures of their Jeep/SxS with a wheel on the actual oven all over social media. I can't blame the landowner for aggressively protecting his property, there's always a few people who ruin things for others. Some locals from Superior mentioned the "collapse" of the one oven was vandalism. So sad. Whenever I encounter a no trespassing sign, I simply turn my ass around.
I think I saw where someone said the collapse actually happened overnight. If that's the case, it was not a direct result of vandalism (IE-somebody knocked it down trying to "crawl" it) as some eco-nazi types are trying to put out there, but certainly people have been taking souvenirs and other things from the start. People are assholes for sure, but you also got to remember that they are over 100 years old.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!