P700 Should I move from 26 to 27

jmanAZ

jmanAZ

Jan 14, 2020
tucson
Ownership

1. 700-4
My p700-4 stock deluxe rims currently have 26x10x12. However, I'm hitting a lot of rocks out here in Arizona and want a little more clearance. I know a lift and all that will help, but my question is do you think it's worth it to go from 26s to 27. Right now I have the Mongrels and would go to ITP Ultracross 27x10x12. Last night I did crank the real shock up to max which did help a little.

Thoughts? Mainly I'm wondering if going from 26s to 27s will make that much of a difference in clearance?

Thanks in advance.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My p700-4 stock deluxe rims currently have 26x10x12. However, I'm hitting a lot of rocks out here in Arizona and want a little more clearance. I know a lift and all that will help, but my question is do you think it's worth it to go from 26s to 27. Right now I have the Mongrels and would go to ITP Ultracross 27x10x12. Last night I did crank the real shock up to max which did help a little.

Thoughts? Mainly I'm wondering if going from 26s to 27s will make that much of a difference in clearance?

Thanks in advance.
It will help a 1/2 inch.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
What kind of tires are you running now?

Remember, not all tires measure the stated height, so while smitty is right, the actual difference will depend on the actual measurements. A perfect example is the OEM 25's are actually closer to 24-24.5" in actual height.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isaiah and Dockman
jmanAZ

jmanAZ

Jan 14, 2020
tucson
Ownership

1. 700-4
What kind of tires are you running now?

Remember, not all tires measure the stated height, so while smitty is right, the actual difference will depend on the actual measurements. A perfect example is the OEM 25's are actually closer to 24-24.5" is actual height.
thanks and makes sense

Reactions: Isaiah
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm on the ragged edge of convincing my wife that we need a S by S Honda style probably a 700-4 with power steering and paddle shifters. We have a couple Recons and a Polaris 700 Sportsman, DRZ 400 (E and SM), TW 200...all pretty much single seaters. So side by side is the easy sell for going places together.

Anyhow, how can I get 5 bolt 15x7" wheels for the 700 so I can run 28" truck tires instead of ATV tires? Idaho and surrounding states have not so much mud but plenty of rocks, gravel and dirt (or as my old professor called it...soil) especially in the summer when it's dry out here and lots of snow in the winter. ATV tires are not my favorite. It would be nice if I can use 16"x7" rims like my Frontier pickup and wife's Xterra uses but they are probably too heavy for the 700.

Any ideas or folks who use non-atv tires on their 700?

Reactions: Isaiah and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm on the ragged edge of convincing my wife that we need a S by S Honda style probably a 700-4 with power steering and paddle shifters. We have a couple Recons and a Polaris 700 Sportsman, DRZ 400 (E and SM), TW 200...all pretty much single seaters. So side by side is the easy sell for going places together.

Anyhow, how can I get 5 bolt 15x7" wheels for the 700 so I can run 28" truck tires instead of ATV tires? Idaho and surrounding states have not so much mud but plenty of rocks, gravel and dirt (or as my old professor called it...soil) especially in the summer when it's dry out here and lots of snow in the winter. ATV tires are not my favorite. It would be nice if I can use 16"x7" rims like my Frontier pickup and wife's Xterra uses but they are probably too heavy for the 700.

Any ideas or folks who use non-atv tires on their 700?
A lot of the new-think SxS tires are getting more like LT stuff. I've never run that style, but personally, I've never had much of an issue with atv style tires, and I wonder about flotation in sand, etc with the LT style stuff.

Anyway, for sure @RB3offroad makes wheel spacers that allow 4/137 to be adapted to the 4/110 of the 500/700. You could then add talon wheels (maybe) which are 15's. May be aftermarket wheels that big or bigger, even for the 4/110. I generally favor the taller sidewall for ride, so I've never really looked at anything other than 12's.
My advice is to be cautious with increased heights on the 700. I see a lot of guys running 27's, but I confess I will probably not do more than 26's when my time comes. In certain locations the 700 struggles with power with STOCK sized tires, and no sense in making it worse.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
power is certainly a concern in getting too big of tire. That's good info above so thanks for making me smarter and giving options!!

Reactions: DG Rider
JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I run 27's and there is no power loss! Yes you will gain 1/2 to 1" in height depending on what tire and what air pressure that you are running I like the Terrabites that I have and I think you would too, in your type terrain.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sounds right...Texas rocks...Idaho rocks...same same...mostly. We do have mud if it rains and snow in the higher elevations well into July in places.
Thanks Jimmy!

Holding my breath watching the elections...

Reactions: Isaiah
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Terrabites are on the short list but it's mind boggling (at least mine) the number and variety of UTV type tires on the market. I've looked at a lot of them on line but, frankly...how can I trust that they are actually the size they claim to be. The tires come highly recommended on the site seem to be the ones I'm narrowing to. I've used Kenda tires on bikes with good results in the past and wonder how they seem to stack up with other UTV tires in use here? Any thoughts folks???

J

JTMako

Nov 21, 2017
NC
Ownership

1. 700-4
Terrabites or Terra Hooks, can’t go wrong with either. Lightweight, tough, good traction, and long lasting.
Forget the light truck tires, they’re going to be heavy compared to sxs tires. Sxs tires are designed specifically for the handling characteristics of side by sides, and will serve you better.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Can I run Terrabites in 27x11-12 in the rear and 27 x 9 in the front? Or maybe with the 27x11 in the front maybe with spacers????
Any wisdom will be appreciated!!

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm running 28's on mine. 27's should be fine. Buying a set of tires to gain MAYBE a 1/2" inch doesn't make sense. A simple lift kit will do a better job. A better set of shocks will also lift the machine. Arched A-arms will lift AND help clear boulders.

Can I run Terrabites in 27x11-12 in the rear and 27 x 9 in the front? Or maybe with the 27x11 in the front maybe with spacers????
Any wisdom will be appreciated!!

Yes you can. One thing I've seen others on here doing is running the same tire all the way around. That way you can take one spare and not have to worry.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks Gator!
I did some measuring today on my front 25" x 8" and I'm only guessing what would happen with 27x11 mounted but it looked like there most likely would be some rubbing on the inside rear at full lock both ways without a lift or some plastic hacking. Rear would be not problem I can see. I would definitely like to go with just one size all the way around so I can rotate once in awhile and maybe get a bit more mileage out of them.

Thanks again...I miss crawdads...we have some but they aren't the same.

Reactions: Backwoods
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Speaking of spares...is anyone mounting them on the front bumper? I have a winch set up to fit in a 2" hitch receiver and use jumper cables to hook up power in the rear. It was built for my old 2002 Polaris Sportsman 700 twin which almost never got stuck but have pulled out a few jeeps over the years. These tires and wheels aren't very heavy to be a problem...I think...shouldn't be too much weight.

Anyone doing this up front?

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
OK, I measured the factory stock wheels as close as I can and found the rear is very close to 8" wide and the front is pretty close to 6" wide. Probably a better number in Metric.Question...will the 27 x 11 Terrbites fit on the 6" rim without squeezing them too much. The 11's should fit on the 8" fine and maybe the 12x7 I ordered for a spare. I think I'll go with the 27x11 all around.

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Good choice! My next set will be the same, and I will always run the same size in all 4 corners,

Reactions: Backwoods
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks Jimmy! The wheels should be here this week so I'm going to get one in 27x11,mount it and make sure I have not problems.
Ipulled a 2200 lbs trailer out of my shop into the hanger today and was barely off idle in 2 wd thru a couple inches of mud...I was inpressed to say the least!!! I might just like this thing!

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
two 27x11x12 Terrabutes arrived this afternoon and I'll be off tomorrow to get them mounted on the Honda rear rims for the front. They look very nice and if they fit up front I'll get 2 more for the rear...Thanks and good idea Jimmy!

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!