P500 SKID PLATE DIY SOLRUS VERSION :)

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I dont have SSS offroad plate to put together with mine to compare, but I know for sure that I covered a bit further and fully front cabin (SSS did cut to early at the front part, so there is enough open area where cabin floor plastic exposed , as somebody posted earlier on this forum a picture with a stick piercing the front floor bottom ) .

Since I already had KFI snow plow plate installed (5-6 mm steel), I thought its redundant to cover it with extra 3/8 inch of UHMW plastic, so front plate is shorter then SSS and does not bend around front part.

Another very important thing , if you have no holes , then be prepared to carry a lot of dirt and stones, as pointed/suggested earlier, make holes along inner and outside part of the frame and some bigger drain holes next to tires.

I'm also thinking about making inner fender for P500. Will see.

IMG 20151111 221519 691 SSS compare Sss offroad weak spot design

Last edited:
Reactions: Eltobgi
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Forstner bits.

Attachments

• IMG_20151111_215312_133.jpg
    IMG_20151111_215312_133.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 300
Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
What was the cost of 3/8" sheet ? How do I get a template? I really want to make one as I need to do custom work any how to mount my Tusk plow and steel plate. Also couldn't you make drain holes with some sort of removable plugs. Maybe even out of the same material with some sort of metal backing to mount with screws.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What was the cost of 3/8" sheet ? How do I get a template? I really want to make one as I need to do custom work any how to mount my Tusk plow and steel plate. Also couldn't you make drain holes with some sort of removable plugs. Maybe even out of the same material with some sort of metal backing to mount with screws.

I paid 200$ for 3/8 4*10 foot sheet, shipping was 90$. Search forum for umhw , I posted umhw supplier from Spokane, WA. Sorry in St Paul now. Going to be godfather tomorrow, limited , using my cell to reply.

Look at dimensions , divide sheet in two equal sides by marker and start to draw using my template and check all wholes position using oem Honda skid plates.

In regard of plugs be creative , check with home depot and look what plugs they have, depends on diameter.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I wish I would cut a paper template, but instead I just measured dimensions. Please dont be discouraged not to make it without template, you have all dimensions form my post , now get a 4x10 umhw sheet and start to draw on it, it a three stage process ( three plates to cut ). Skype me if you completely got lost.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
No worries, no shop needed. Once "one door has closed for me" ( I could not buy the plate and decided to make my own), a friend of mine offered his shop at the farm, I'm a city guy with small garage space, BUT you need shop with car lift only to simplify and get easy access to develop template. For the rest any place is fine. And the fun part, no special industry machine needed. simple hand circular saw and two forstner bits. Will take pics and everything very soon.

Once I finalize my skid plate and have dimensions, it will belong to all you guys, I will post them and may be if some one have hard time , I will make paper template that will be willing to mail. So no worries, I need just now some time , working this weekend 7am to 7 pm, so have to postpone till next weekend.

Very nice, love the spirit too! I would happily pay you for your time and expense to make and mail me a template. In fact, I would pay you to make my skid plates and then fly you here to install them! Just kidding on the later. Where'd you purchase the material to build them from?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very nice, love the spirit too! I would happily pay you for your time and expense to make and mail me a template. In fact, I would pay you to make my skid plates and then fly you here to install them! Just kidding on the later. Where'd you purchase the material to build them from?

Doubt you can afford me , it will be cheaper to buy it from other mass production vendors, but thank you for the compliment :).
It is simple geometry and equal proportions. Once I decide to snorkel tranny, I could make a copy , but its not CNC machine cut, some minor adjustments might be needed.
Try to make an effort to practice and draw it on a carton board (using dimensions on my template picture, sorry I use metric more then royal system).
Material was bought here :

Redwood Plastics Corp.
Spokane, WA 99206 LocationsMap icon
Contact Company: 800-222-777

Reactions: Montecresto
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Just a thought, dont overthink about plugs, in 99% or your rides you would not encounter sharp tip pointed up rocks, that are smaller 1.5 ". To catch a rock almost impossible, and there is nothing vital where the drain holes are, except oil drain plug opening.

Reactions: Montecresto
Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Hey Solrus, I am considering doing your plate. Question: Do you really need a 4x10 sheet or would a 4x8 suffice? In my area and probably because of the exchange rate, a 4x10 $580 cdn versus 4x8 $462...

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Solrus, I am considering doing your plate. Question: Do you really need a 4x10 sheet or would a 4x8 suffice? In my area and probably because of the exchange rate, a 4x10 $580 cdn versus 4x8 $462...

Yah, man, 4x8 plenty, you will most likely have extra small plates (rear front). With 4x10 I end up having extra center plate. :)

Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
Yah, man, 4x8 plenty, you will most likely have extra small plates (rear front). With 4x10 I end up having extra center plate. :)
Perfect! If you have any info/tips to send me, feel free! my email is [email protected] not sure if you had gotten around creating a pdf or a doc with all your measuments/pics. I'll let you know how it turns out! Oh and I saw that you were using the Metric system for your measurements for some of your post, is there a little bit of Canadian hiding in you ?!! ; thanks again

Reactions: solrus
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Perfect! If you have any info/tips to send me, feel free! my email is [email protected] not sure if you had gotten around creating a pdf or a doc with all your measuments/pics. I'll let you know how it turns out! Oh and I saw that you were using the Metric system for your measurements for some of your post, is there a little bit of Canadian hiding in you ?!! ; thanks again

:) Yes , I'm on the Canada border, but from Ukraine originally. Metric is more versatile and precise then Royal as for me.

Just find good open space with table, ruler , divide plate with a symmetric line and use original plates as a reference for all wholes. Cut sheet across/horizontally ---------, you will safe/not waste plastic this way. Will get in touch if you need some guidance , even we can skype,its easy to show me what you are doing. Good luck!

Last edited:
Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
:) Yes , I'm on the Canada border, but from Ukraine originally. Metric is more versatile and precise then Royal as for me.

Just find good open space with table, ruler , divide plate with a symmetric line and use original plates as a reference for all wholes. Cut sheet across/horizontally ---------, you will safe/not waste plastic this way. Will get in touch if you need some guidance , even we can skype,its easy to show me what you are doing. Good luck!
Sounds like a plan!

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
One thing I found out last weekend was the need for drain holes in the SSS plates. The front plate acts like a plow and is currently filled with sand from my ride last weekend. Real PITA

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One thing I found out last weekend was the need for drain holes in the SSS plates. The front plate acts like a plow and is currently filled with sand from my ride last weekend. Real PITA

Very true, all aftermarket uhmw plates for p500 that are available are not finished products, but still the price is steep.

Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
Hey Solrus, cut and mounted your plate this weekend. No issues at all. Thanks for the instructions!!! But man, that was a lot of holes to drill! Well worth the extra weight for the added protection !!! Total time drawing the pieces and installing I would say 4 hours. that's including the beer breaks...

Reactions: Eltobgi and JCart
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Solrus, cut and mounted your plate this weekend. No issues at all. Thanks for the instructions!!! But man, that was a lot of holes to drill! Well worth the extra weight for the added protection !!! Total time drawing the pieces and installing I would say 4 hours. that's including the beer breaks...

Stay thirsty and protected , my friend :) !!!

J

JTW

Love it!! This will be a winter project for sure!! Curious.. What do they end up weighing, roughly? Would you use the 3/8 again if you were doing it today?

Reactions: solrus and Seg
RobbieS

RobbieS

Nov 26, 2016
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
No worries, no shop needed. Once "one door has closed for me" ( I could not buy the plate and decided to make my own), a friend of mine offered his shop at the farm, I'm a city guy with small garage space, BUT you need shop with car lift only to simplify and get easy access to develop template. For the rest any place is fine. And the fun part, no special industry machine needed. simple hand circular saw and two forstner bits. Will take pics and everything very soon.

Once I finalize my skid plate and have dimensions, it will belong to all you guys, I will post them and may be if some one have hard time , I will make paper template that will be willing to mail. So no worries, I need just now some time , working this weekend 7am to 7 pm, so have to postpone till next weekend.

Great job, looks like you sure know what you're doing....and thanks for sharing the plans!!

Reactions: Seg and solrus

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!