P700 Skid plate material

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hello all, I have a question for everyone. I want to replace the skid plate on my P700, and being a handy person I wanted to make my own. So I have been pricing material. The only supplier I found locally sells UHMW for more than $650 a sheet. OUCH.
So what are your thoughts on the material. Aluminum? Puck Board? Puck Board?
Thanks all for looking.
C

Reactions: CumminsPusher
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Try getting it from a supplier not a plastics shop. You're looking at 400 for a 4x10 sheet which is what you'll need for a full skid.

Min ⅜" thick, half is preferred, you will need to place spacers under the motor mounts to keep the skid from impacting the bottom of the engine on hard impacts(it flexes more than the steel skid that was on it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hello all, I have a question for everyone. I want to replace the skid plate on my P700, and being a handy person I wanted to make my own. So I have been pricing material. The only supplier I found locally sells UHMW for more than $650 a sheet. OUCH.
Thanks all for looking.
C
After much research on this I just really think you can't beat UHMW for a skid plate. I do think $650 is way high and it can be found cheaper, just not sure where.

@solrus any thoughts?

@ohanacreek how would you find a supplier? Sorry I'm sure that's a stupid question. Are you saying find one locally or online and have it shipped?

Reactions: joeymt33
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry, don't have time to go through mine DIY post for skid, but I mentioned UHMW supplier there that I've bought from . Shipping was half price of it around 110$. I bought it from Spokane WA supplier.

Look for SSS off-road skid at overstock.com , google for 10- 20℅ coupon off, it might come down to 480$ shipped to u.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Phm and Tflynn
Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
The kicker here is I'm in Canada, so everything is more on top of that!!. I found a supplier that has 1/2 Puck Board and thats $150, much more reasonable.
Try getting it from a supplier not a plastics shop. You're looking at 400 for a 4x10 sheet which is what you'll need for a full skid.

Min ⅜" thick, half is preferred, you will need to place spacers under the motor mounts to keep the skid from impacting the bottom of the engine on hard impacts(it flexes more than the steel skid that was on it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine does not have a steel skid plate, it has a cheap 1/4" plastic one. Does it still need the spacers then?

Reactions: JTW
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After much research on this I just really think you can't beat UHMW for a skid plate. I do think $650 is way high and it can be found cheaper, just not sure where.

@solrus any thoughts?

@ohanacreek how would you find a supplier? Sorry I'm sure that's a stupid question. Are you saying find one locally or online and have it shipped?

Canada....ouch yeah $650 is about right... dang international BS between the govments.

Reactions: Phm
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The kicker here is I'm in Canada, so everything is more on top of that!!. I found a supplier that has 1/2 Puck Board and thats $150, much more reasonable.

Mine does not have a steel skid plate, it has a cheap 1/4" plastic one. Does it still need the spacers then?

You have a steel one under the engine, tap on it. Not plastic. You need the spacers under the engine mounts if they touch all the time they will rattle. ¾" is all you will need.

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Canada....ouch yeah $650 is about right... dang international BS between the govments.
Your Telling me!. Not to mention our $$ is worth much less, so a 695$ SSS skid plate, thats $915.

You have a steel one under the engine, tap on it. Not plastic. You need the spacers under the engine mounts if they touch all the time they will rattle. ¾" is all you will need.

Thanks. I will make sure I put those in.

advertisement
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I paid $300 for a 4x8 sheet of 3/8". I made several phone calls and surfed all over online. Supplier was Ideal Plastics in Little Chute Wi.

IMG 20161230 111528928 IMG 20161231 124332310 IMG 20161231 124504316

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks all for looking.
C

I was quadding with some mechanics. They used a plastic 45 gallon barrel, cut the top and bottom off then rolled it out flat. That gives you a big piece of tough plastic to make a skid plate. Draw up a template in cardboard then jigsaw the plastic. You might be able to find a plastic barrel at a u-brew place or where ever. I'd bet you'd get the barrel cheap as well.
Just a suggestion.

Aluminum is ok but if you ride over higher rocks it will catch and hold pretty good whereas it's easier to slide off a plastic skid plate.

Al R

Last edited:
J

JTW

I was quadding with some mechanics. They used a plastic 45 gallon barrel, cut the top and bottom off then rolled it out flat. That gives you a big piece of tough plastic to make a skid plate. Draw up a template in cardboard then jigsaw the plastic. You might be able to find a plastic barrel at a u-brew place or where ever. I'd bet you'd get the barrel cheap as well.

Just a suggestion.
Damn good idea!!

Reactions: Phm
Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Happy Monday to all. So I have decided on 1/2" black Puck Board for the material. I found a supplier that sells the sheet for 147$ each. So I went for a drive on my birthday and bought myself a birthday present, 4 sheets of Puck Board. 2- 1/2" and 2 - 1/8". My plan is to make the template out of cardboard, bolt it up and see how it fits. That I completed this morning. Here are the photos.

In considering which design, I looked at the commercially available products. I decided to loosely base my design after SSSoffroad.com. I think they have a great design, and I wish I could have come up with the money to buy it, but the exchange rate despite his very generous discount for first responders put the cost outside of what a Paramedic in Canada can afford, but my hats off to them!!.
So I have 4 parts. The area that extends out the side, I will call wings. MY plan with those is to have a lip on the front and rear that curves up to accept mud flaps. A heat gun and some patience I am told will allow this product to be shaped easily. This should come in handy when I make the flaps/flares.
So my question to everyone reading my ramblings, what are your thoughts? Any tricks? Tips? I am going to put a hole for accessing the oil plug and filter, but what about other holes for cleaning? SSSoffroad.com has only a hole for the oil plug and the breather.

With the left over, I want to make A-arm guards. I have some rough templates not pictured, any input into those would be great. My plan for that is to make a template of the shape out of wood or something that will stand up to some heat, lay the cut parts over the wood and put in the oven. I have not researched the temperature yet, so if anyone has ideas about that, I am all ears.

So thank you to everyone who reads this and for your comments. I welcome them before I take a blade to the board.
Image2
Image1

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The biggest reason I ordered a whole sheet of UHMW was to avoid splits in the skid plate material across the width of the machine. My concern was if you caught a log or rock with the front section of the skid plate, it would get caught up on the leading edge of the next section. If you have enough to faateners to eliminate flex in the material maybe it won't be an issue.

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
I had been concerned about that as well, but I have a plan for that. I will cut the sheets so they have a half lap scarf joint. That way its flush but the joints are not simply butted together.
Plus a sheet of UHMW that was 5x10 was more than I paid for all the board I bought, and harder to work with by myself. Screen Shot 2017 01 16 at 121542 PM

Oh and the joints would have the attaching bolts going through the joint.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How are you going to machine that shape?

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a router with a straight bit that I will set to depth and use a fence clamped to the board as a guide for depth.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks very good!

All aftermarket plates come in 4 peace anyway, mine DIY was 3 , I used one 4x10 f UHMW sheet.

99% you will be fine, dont worry too much about moving plate over plate if you do a good job of flushing your bolts.

I would make more room on the rear and trim off, see marked with red line, also make sure you drill holes along frame to drain dirt and stones

Image1

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!