P700 Skid plate material

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ah, at those lines I am folding/bending it up and will have the flares extend down to those and attach with push pins. No point in having the plate if I don't make an attempt to keep the junk off the top of it.
As for holes, I will research the other plates out there to compare to. Any suggestion how many? How far apart? How large?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ah, at those lines I am folding/bending it up and will have the flares extend down to those and attach with push pins. No point in having the plate if I don't make an attempt to keep the junk off the top of it.
As for holes, I will research the other plates out there to compare to. Any suggestion how many? How far apart? How large?

See my signature line for DIY link , there will be pics to get visual idea.

From what I've learned all dirt and blood was collecting along frame, especially on inside side.

So I drilled along the frame edge.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had been concerned about that as well, but I have a plan for that. I will cut the sheets so they have a half lap scarf joint. That way its flush but the joints are not simply butted together.
Plus a sheet of UHMW that was 5x10 was more than I paid for all the board I bought, and harder to work with by myself. View attachment 31134

Oh and the joints would have the attaching bolts going through the joint.
I routered my joints as well to keep them from snagging

Reactions: JTW and solrus
Deerhunterrob

Deerhunterrob

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2017
NE ALABAMA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hello all, I have a question for everyone. I want to replace the skid plate on my P700, and being a handy person I wanted to make my own. So I have been pricing material. The only supplier I found locally sells UHMW for more than $650 a sheet. OUCH.
So what are your thoughts on the material. Aluminum? Puck Board? Puck Board?
Thanks all for looking.
C
I made mine out of 3/16 alum cost me about 20 bucks an a Lil time with the plasma cutter.

Reactions: JTW
G

gsiebrecht

Aug 22, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 700-4
HDPE is pretty tough and like half the cost. I bought a 1/8" sheet for another project and was surprised how strong it was.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you look under SSS in youtube you can find some videos of them installing them. It looks like the newest setup for the 700, they are leaving the factory steel engine skid plate on and just putting their skid over top. Might be something to consider if you're not too far along.

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
See my signature line for DIY link , there will be pics to get visual idea.

From what I've learned all dirt and blood was collecting along frame, especially on inside side.

So I drilled along the frame edge.

That looks awesome. I would like to think mine is getting close. I had a mishap today, but thankfully the frame holes are semantical so I was able to slightly elongate the holes up 1 size and put it together. My issue was cutting the overlap with my router. Small space and limited light and lets be honest my mistake, I cut the wrong groove. But now you would not know it went wrong. I have more washers coming. There is a UTV/ATV wrecker that has 35 for about $1 each. So when they get here, I will countersink them.

I routered my joints as well to keep them from snagging
I'm very glad I am. It will make it stronger in my opinion.

I made mine out of 3/16 alum cost me about 20 bucks an a Lil time with the plasma cutter.
I wish I had a plasma cutter.

If you look under SSS in youtube you can find some videos of them installing them. It looks like the newest setup for the 700, they are leaving the factory steel engine skid plate on and just putting their skid over top. Might be something to consider if you're not too far along.
Already passed that, but there is a bunch of space. I might space the motor mount a bit.

Reactions: GlockMeister
Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
So I got it done. I learned a lot, like heating and bending the 1/2" puck board is not as easy as I thought. That being said, the plan changed a couple times but all in all I am very happy with the outcome. I found some rivet nuts to insert on the outside rails, used all 10.9 M6 bolts and found extra skid plate washers. I then used some 1/8" puck board and made my own flares. Nothing special there, but they work very well and give more coverage than others not to mention a total cost of ~$450 for flares and skid plate.
Screen Shot 2017 01 21 at 54532 PM
Screen Shot 2017 01 21 at 53827 PM
Screen Shot 2017 01 21 at 53842 PM
Screen Shot 2017 01 21 at 53902 PM

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I got it done. I learned a lot, like heating and bending the 1/2" puck board is not as easy as I thought. That being said, the plan changed a couple times but all in all I am very happy with the outcome. I found some rivet nuts to insert on the outside rails, used all 10.9 M6 bolts and found extra skid plate washers. I then used some 1/8" puck board and made my own flares. Nothing special there, but they work very well and give more coverage than others not to mention a total cost of ~$450 for flares and skid plate.
View attachment 31499 View attachment 31496View attachment 31497View attachment 31498
Nothing wrong with that man! Looks good. I'm curious to see how that puck board hold up. I had to look it up because I and never heard of it . My get some and try it for my sliders

advertisement
Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Nothing wrong with that man! Looks good. I'm curious to see how that puck board hold up. I had to look it up because I and never heard of it . My get some and try it for my sliders
It's much cheaper than UHMW-PE. I would have paid 535$ a sheet up here, now that was 5x10. I paid 397 for 2- 4x8 sheets of 1/2" and 2 sheets of 1/8". I am a little concerned about the 1/8" stuff, but it was cheap enough and I had fun building it.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
HDPE is the same stuff a 5gal bucket is made from, it'll gouge and give more but it's still tough but not as tough as UHMW. No where near as abrasion resistant, or as slick. Different engineered polymer molecule chain.

Great alternative but that's the reason for the price difference, also bending UHMW is very difficult to do as you can easily over heat it and permanently damage the polymer.

Ask @scott how well his UHMW skids have held up.

Reactions: joeymt33
G

gsiebrecht

Aug 22, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Puckboard is HDPE. Never heard it called that though. Must be a northern term.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great alternative but that's the reason for the price difference, also bending UHMW is very difficult to do as you can easily over heat it and permanently damage the polymer.

Ask @scott how well his UHMW skids have held up.

What was the difficulty in bending or the issue with durability on the UHMW?

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I surly can attest to how freaking awesome and tough UHMW is. I've given my pioneer hell on huge rocks and it isn't cut up or anything. It's amazing stuff. IMO UHMW is the only way to go for a skid, and it's all I'll buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: joeymt33
J

JTW

I surly can attest to how freaking awesome and tough UHMW is. I've given my pioneer hell on huge rocks and it isn't cut up or anything. It's amazing stuff. IMO UHMW is the only way to go for a skid, and it's all I'll buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@joeymt33's broke 2! Remind me not to let him drive mine at the takeover! Lol

Reactions: scott
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's true! I don't know if trail armor is using cheaper stuff because I never broke the SSS skid plate on my 700. The first time that I broke the skid plate it was 28° and we were riding through creeks with large boulders in it so I figured it had probably become brittle to the cold temperatures. This time, it was above freezing and yes we are riding in rocks but dammit, that's what the skid plates are for.

Reactions: Eltobgi and JTW
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's true! I don't know if trail armor is using cheaper stuff because I never broke the SSS skid plate on my 700. The first time that I broke the skid plate it was 28° and we were riding through creeks with large boulders in it so I figured it had probably become brittle to the cold temperatures. This time, it was above freezing and yes we are riding in rocks but dammit, that's what the skid plates are for.
Where did it break?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Here's the two pictures. Not a bad break but it's in the same place both times.

778650cb6755ae3524fa622d9834c8a0

Da2d6ee5a88a029bc04aa41aef7cf36e

Reactions: JTW
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!