ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
on the bottom.. duhh!

It's not that obvious. For very good reason I avoided lateral breaks in my skid plate such that when sliding over obstacles from front to back there were no seams in the skid plate as they'd cause obstacles to get hung up on the under belly. Likewise any point load in the under belly causes greater stress over the smallest area it is applied to. So if you make the belly out of multiple pieces you reduce the total amount of deflection you can see in each piece. I personally really like the large conical oversized Honda skid plate washers as they'll allow the belly to walk between the bolts on impact a small amount. All that being said, I'd still be curious on which pieces broke.

Reactions: JTW
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's the two pictures. Not a bad break but it's in the same place both times.

778650cb6755ae3524fa622d9834c8a0

Da2d6ee5a88a029bc04aa41aef7cf36e
Thanks for the photos. This is the very reason that I wanted to avoid having breaks in the center belly. The washers firmly clamp the edges of the material in place and deflection in the center of each small panel over stresses the material.

Now I really want to beat on this big flat belly
IMG 20161231 124332310

J

JTW

Thanks for the photos. This is the very reason that I wanted to avoid having breaks in the center belly. The washers firmly clamp the edges of the material in place and deflection in the center of each small panel over stresses the material.

View attachment 31532
I was just giving you s***... but you did do a damn good job!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

View attachment 31532

Check out the bash plate I did. You may want to consider that to protect the front.

E12371295095667c4ea7df8c45fdc3c0

It now has A lot of scares that would have dented the metal.

Reactions: Eltobgi and JTW
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What was the difficulty in bending or the issue with durability on the UHMW?

You can very easily over hear it and permanently damage the polymer chains also can't bend it more than about 40degrees.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's not that obvious. For very good reason I avoided lateral breaks in my skid plate such that when sliding over obstacles from front to back there were no seams in the skid plate as they'd cause obstacles to get hung up on the under belly. Likewise any point load in the under belly causes greater stress over the smallest area it is applied to. So if you make the belly out of multiple pieces you reduce the total amount of deflection you can see in each piece. I personally really like the large conical oversized Honda skid plate washers as they'll allow the belly to walk between the bolts on impact a small amount. All that being said, I'd still be curious on which pieces broke.

Trail armor thins the pieces so they overlap.

When I made I had a 3/16" piece of aluminum behind the joints. No issues even in cold weather.

Only in the great white both should temp on UHMW be an issue, HDPE in more tolerant of the cold.

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
I had considered aluminum, but after talking with some people I ride with, I decided against it. The aluminum does not self-lubricate to slide over some stuff, its loud when stuff hits the bottom and if you get a rock on top, it rattles. I know there are ways around it such as undercoat on top, butI decided on the Puckboard (HDPE). Plus its black.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I had considered aluminum, but after talking with some people I ride with, I decided against it. The aluminum does not self-lubricate to slide over some stuff, its loud when stuff hits the bottom and if you get a rock on top, it rattles. I know there are ways around it such as undercoat on top, butI decided on the Puckboard (HDPE). Plus its black.
All true about the aluminum, and it digs into rock more. It's the least desirable, though provides better protection than the OEM. You may have landed upon the best material for yours given your latitude.

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
I will keep everyone updated on how it holds up. So far in the cold of Canada, its handling it, but then I have not done anything really hard.

Reactions: Tflynn

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!