JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Upload 2019 4 18 10 56 46

The Brown truck dropped this off yesterday. Looks to be pretty decent quality, am surprised at the welds and SS fittings. Typically in Canuck land aftermarket stuff like this is a pretty penny, ($500-$800 CDN) which I feel is a bit outrages. Looks like enough auxiliary parts to make it fit too. Might have to get some SS screen though as doesn’t seem to be a screen spark arrestor, but that shouldn’t be a big deal to sort and maybe one more exhaust band to secure to machine, again no big deal. Kind of excited to get it mounted up.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I’ll take a bunch of pix when I do this for others. Hopefully get on it next week, have family stuff this weekend so I’m tied up with that and will not be home, dang. Did I mention was excited to do this mod, I’m hopeful it will improve low to mid power and make it breathe easier. Then a programer, power steering, locker, V2 DIY windshield, DIY cab doors, geez I think that’ll be it heh heh.

Bushbaby

Bushbaby

Mar 25, 2018
Elliot Lake Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I’ll take a bunch of pix when I do this for others. Hopefully get on it next week, have family stuff this weekend so I’m tied up with that and will not be home, dang. Did I mention was excited to do this mod, I’m hopeful it will improve low to mid power and make it breathe easier. Then a programer, power steering, locker, V2 DIY windshield, DIY cab doors, geez I think that’ll be it heh heh.

Would love to see a followup after you've used it.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Would love to see a followup after you've used it.

You bet thinking I’ll load a decibel app on my phone and see if there is a difference. Also have an app that uses the accelerometer (in my phone) to indicate hp and torque, so might be good to see if there is a measurable difference. Anyways I’ll try to keep everyone in the loop.
Cheers,
j

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Reactions: JCart
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
C3DBD610 5384 48E8 B82A 1F1A97B128CE 154F269B C66D 43FE 8ED4 33B33E68549D Hopefully pick up UTV today dropped off at off-road shop for guys to TIG weld on SS pipe extension. I cut pipe just up flow of Cat. Wanted to save Cat but the aftermarket pipe wouldn’t work with diameter of pipe near Cat. Plan is to reinstall heat shield. New exhaust canister will be fixed to pipe extension via spring assembly that comes with generic exhaust kit.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Upload 2019 4 26 21 44 53
Local shop did a good job or welding up to stock pipe. Left the end of pipe a slip fit to the muffler for now, hold down springs are too short or I’m a whimp, plan is to try and source longer springs and use some form a gasket seal on final install.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Upload 2019 4 26 21 51 30
I used the outer heat shield and added a small piece on drivers side, (cut down from stock shield). I’m thinking the exhaust will be cooler than stock as the flow will be improved and the cat held lots of heat by design. Drilled and installed a nutsert in the cross frame shock support to attach bracket for exhaust hanger. The muffler is much lighter then stock, for now will see how it’ll work with 1 hanger.
Once I get it fully assembled I’ll try to collect some db sound comparisons.
Cheers,
j

Last edited:
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Upload 2019 4 27 19 5 1
Done for now.... Gonna run it for a while with the spark arrestor (that came with the muffler). Then compare to one I’ll make that’s more open, by taking out the insert. Thanks @alloutdoors for the app link. Will post up a PDF printout of existing results with this set up in a few. At idle it sounds great, deeper in timbre not obnoxiously loud. Not ridden it anywhere yet.

j

Last edited:
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Upload 2019 4 27 20 3 57
The above is an image of output from decibel meter off my iPhone set at about 2 metres away on a 20 litre pale. I’ll have to have a look on the app to interpret data as I’m not sure what it represents. Odd that at idle meter showed 68 dB, yet doesn’t show here.
Cheers,

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Must apologize when I got exhaust I wasn’t expecting it until May. Was so excited that I didn’t wash machine or test any stock performance in terms of sound and HP using my old Dynolicious app. Of course the app was on a different phone that has vaporized in the house somewhere....and now the app I don’t think is available and is now some social media app?? So much for comparison other then seat oh the pants... will try to get some Kms on it soon to see how it does.
j

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Managed to get out for a 60 k (40 mile) ride this afternoon. SOP better for sure in regards to lugging power, don’t have to shift down nearly as much, builds more torque. E.g., will pull a hill in 4th without having to shift down also can run in higher gears at less throttle like 3rd or 4th, idle along and when needed put the peddle to it and it will pull out of the hole. Where as before you’d be shifting more. Also found that shifting is noticeably smoother, click the leave and it snicks into gear perfectly, with the stock exhaust it would pause for a millisecond and sometime, shift roughly. Even when I don’t let off on the gas, shifts smooth.... weird.

Only downside I see right now is noise... 85-90 dB, foot down being a thug tops out at 120s. Might try running it with the plug in the end of the arrester and see if that quiets it down a bit. Happy with improved torque not so much with racket....
j

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Upload 2019 4 29 0 28 4
I placed my iPhone on my pack in passenger footwell so it was level with the seat. As you can see ran it for 23 minutes and the results are the above sample. This sound sample represents idle to WOT on narrow single track trail to modern day gravel logging roads, through all gears and throttle positions. I’ll post up what the above categories are in a few....

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Upload 2019 4 29 0 36 25
In looking at the sound categories it appear the muffler is right at the limit of racket (I’m guessing) for running and having minimal hearing loss, or rather signifies a professional should conduct a sound study.... and one should wear hearing protection. I took hearing muffs and did wear them and it is noisier then stock for sure. Kinda bummin a bit as I wanted to maintain the cat, hollowed out to act as a resonator in the hopes it would be a bit quieter, oh well. Next will run it with small plug in the end of spark arrester to see if it’s quieter and affects performance.

Will say machine seems to run cooler as I’m thinking the cat converter kept a lot of heat present. I stopped and checked area with my hands and it seems cooler then what I remember with stock pipe on. I also put a piece of DEI, Heat shroud cool tubing 3/4” over the crank case vent tube that runs up to the air box. The insulation on the muffler is better than stock as you can touch it and I will not burn you like stocker.
j

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Sounds like you need something to help with the sound level now? There's a fix for that. ;)

Trigger quite a while ago (summer of 2015 I think), I took the under seat cowl plastics off (that sits over top engine) and lined with a foil backed self adhesive rubber material 3-4mm thick to keep the heat down. Then just of late (after seeing your cover, thanks for the idea) I made a similar thing with aluminum backed close cell foam and that does work for keeping heat down too. Back of cab to seat cowling on mine is already covered in a truckers tarp material to keep most of the dust out. Must admit was gonna order one from you but shipping into Canada, fricken cross border duties and courier/shipping would make it cost prohibitive. Close cell foam foil backed material is actually a camping roll out thin mattress 1/4” thick (waterproof too) and I might adhere it to thicker rubber material I have in shop when I get a moment. Will let you guys know when I install end plug in spark arrestor if it’s quieter.
j

Reactions: Mudwing and trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Glad to hear you have a barrier, especially with an aftermarket exhaust now. Mine got a little louder with the HMF too but nothing that's intolerable. Yeah, it's another $35 to CA but I've sent a few there. Hope the plug doesn't cause any back pressure and heat, that's what that Silent Rider did and I didn't care for it. Keep us posted.

Reactions: JCart and Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!