SLOWPOKE goes short course racing

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Those seat mounts will probably be under 3lbs by the time I'm done fitting them in the car. I'm going to pull the computers and wiring out from under the seat and relocate them, cut the plastic tray out and lower the seat a few more inches this time around. I'd like just a bit more room between the top of my helmet and the cage just to be on the safe side (I have 3" now) and lowering things on the chassis are always good for handling. I'm not letting the RS-1's in my class get away with easy wins next season, they are going to have to fight alot harder for those now that I'm back racing for championship points. #TeamJAH 😁

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
We are removing weight from everything including the RB3 rack housing.....

20231213 193940 1

😁

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Saw that. Lowball him at $25k and send a picture of the cash spread out on a table with the offer. You would be amazed at how motivated people are when you do that. I've bought several high end items from CL and FBMP over the years doing exactly that and it works 100% of the time. They may say no at first but they usually crack in a few hours or up to a couple days. 😁

Perfect time to do it also because used and new toy sales are slowing way down with the higher intrest rates and its flipping back to a buyers market. I got a smokin deal on the new trailer and almost new money for my trade in because I know that they know times are changing and with a lot full of 2023's still in stock they were willing to wheel and deal to move them before the 2024's start rolling in.
Now they dropped the price to 25.5k :oops:!! I have been pm’ing the guy….decisions decisions…. I don’t race (yet) but have always wanted too!! I think my wife would kill me. Soooo tempting! Stock motor to be qualified for the series.

• Haha
Reactions: CID and Adam490
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Now they dropped the price to 25.5k :oops:!! I have been pm’ing the guy….decisions decisions…. I don’t race (yet) but have always wanted too!! I think my wife would kill me. Soooo tempting! Stock motor to be qualified for the series.

You have a Talon R? Want to swap chassis with mine? I'm going to rebuild the cage out of 1.5" diameter. 095 cromo tube and lower everything down another 6-8" so I'm going to have to either cut the cage off mine and throw it all in the trash or find someone who wants to swap bare chassis with mine and throw me a little cash. Mine would come with the seat, seat mounts, roof, doors and probably the exhaust.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
You have a Talon R? Want to swap chassis with mine? I'm going to rebuild the cage out of 1.5" diameter. 095 cromo tube and lower everything down another 6-8" so I'm going to have to either cut the cage off mine and throw it all in the trash or find someone who wants to swap bare chassis with mine and throw me a little cash. Mine would come with the seat, seat mounts, roof, doors and probably the exhaust.
Yes we have R’s. I appreciate the offer but I am not ready to make that commitment yet. Still weighing it out as weather I have the time, personally and family wise. Our family does a lot trail riding and I have 3 boys that keep me busy fixing up their machines. One thought I had for that one that is for sale was to add to the cage and make a beast of a woods car out of it for one of my boys to ride or enter them in some open wood races. I don’t know totally what direction we will go. But I gotta get our YXZ sold and then figure it out.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Still plugging away at the car this off season. A buddy and I came up with an idea to shave a ton of rotating and overall weight out of it a few weeks ago. I'm not going to say exactly what it is but I'll leave these here and see who can figure it out......

20240115 190951

20240115 191008

It's going to involve a big chunk of aluminum to make the above plate, a cromoly shaft with some internal splines, a ceramic bearing and a new driveshaft from The Driveshaft Shop that might be carbon fiber with billet aluminum yokes.

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
The single layer fire suite, crappy gloves and no head restraint that I've raced with the last two years is not going to cut it at MAO anymore so I went to the Smiley's Racing Products pre-season sale a few weeks ago and bought all new saftey gear (minus helmet, I already have a badass carbon fiber one) and got a smoking deal on this stuff because of the sale.......

20240125 165726

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Nice set-up. We had an excellent race shop back when I was doing track days and NASA events. They were heavily involved in Formula V and Formula Ford Engine builds and race car prep. They seemed very busy but shuttered their business. Corner balancing is essential for track car set-up

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Nice set-up. We had an excellent race shop back when I was doing track days and NASA events. They were heavily involved in Formula V and Formula Ford Engine builds and race car prep. They seemed very busy but shuttered their business. Corner balancing is essential for track car set-up

Thanks! I scored those from my local FB Marketplace on Friday for a screaming deal. I've wanted another set of scales for a while but couldn't bring myself to spend the coin on new ones so when those popped up on Thursday night for less than half the price of new I jumped on them. Guy I bought them off had a track day Miatia that he recently sold and said the car had only been on these scales 4 times since he bought them. I'm never in the right place at the right time to score deals like this so getting my hands on these was a breath of fresh air.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
And because I don't like keeping money...... I ordered up a set of Keizer non beadlock wheels for the front and titanium beadlock hardware for the rear wheels.

Screenshot 20240221 203551 Samsung Internet

Front wheels are 3.5lbs lighter each than the beadlock versions and the titanium beadlock hardware for the rear wheels saves me another 1/2 pound per wheel for a total of 8lbs. I bet pulling 8 more pounds of rotating weight out of the car is going to help out a bit. 😁

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Non beadlocks raises some questions -
1. How many competitors run without them?
2. What tire pressures are you running that makes that choice possible?
3. Do those wheels have that 'new' inner beadlock ridge that negates the need for the old syle BLs? They seem to be catching on in the off road racing community for the reasons you mentioned.
4. Even at my <racing speeds, I'll come down hard on a front tire a couple of times a day making me glad I have beadlocks, but I run 8-10 lbs. on all 4 corners.
5. You've been very successful so don't think I'm questioning your motives, they're obviously working.

Reactions: Blownzuki
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
I've looked at those and talked with them several times. Trying to make your machine faster while hanging a larger flywheel (larger wheels and tires) on each corner, plus once in motion, they (heavier wheel/tire selection) make your machine harder to stop and not as efficient when stopping while increasing brake fluid temps. If you're boiling your the brakes and/or losing the pedal, this generally one of the first places you look. Decreasing rotational mass would put less wear and tear on the driveline and get you up on the cam quicker. Any track car I've had, first thing I sorted was the suspension and brakes, then reducing rotational mass. Clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, brakes and wheels, studs and nuts, then tuning, gearing and discarding non essential weight. Back to the wheels, trail riding is fun in a machine with more power, but I was concerned with the rocks and the trees that seems to run closer to the edge of the trail when I approach. My right front enjoys being sideswiped for some reason? I'm on the bubble on the wheels. They are rebuildable, and definitely carry a spare which I already do.

Reactions: CID and Blownzuki

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!