SLOWPOKE goes short course racing

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have looked at that Talon that is for sale and I am trying to figure out how to justify that machine for my type of riding!!!šŸ„² It has a lot on it that I really like for the cost!! My wife doesn't have the same vision I have for it though!!!LOL

That car would be perfect to get into short course racing. Any racing series where you are?

I couldn't build that car for the price and that's not counting my labor, car is a screaming deal in my opinion.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
That car would be perfect to get into short course racing. Any racing series where you are?

I couldn't build that car for the price and that's not counting my labor, car is a screaming deal in my opinion.
Iā€™m not sure on short courses around me as Iā€™m in Illinois. But depending on how the motor is built and the rest of it. I feel like I could swap a few things out and be a killer woods car too! To build a car like that is definitely more than this one could be picked up forā€¦.šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Iā€™m not sure on short courses around me as Iā€™m in Illinois. But depending on how the motor is built and the rest of it. I feel like I could swap a few things out and be a killer woods car too! To build a car like that is definitely more than this one could be picked up forā€¦.šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

I just noticed in his ad it says F&R Eibach sway bars.... That's the second car I've heard of with one of those. I need to call Eibach and see if I can get my hands on one.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Mid America posted the 2024 schedule.......

Screenshot 20231108 203434 Samsung Internet

And from what I've read and heard big things are coming for the new season and even bigger things for 2025. They are supposed to make a big announcement on December 7th at the PRI show and I'm excited to hear what they have to say. There is also a strong rumor that in 2025 all the short course series in the US are going to combine under one rule set so you will be able to travel all over the country and run at any track/series you want to. I think short course SxS racing is about to hit the big time with these moves. šŸ˜Ž

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Went to a practice day last Saturday at a local track and tested some new ideas out. Ran the car all day with the ABS unit and all the sensors on the front diff unplugged with zero drivability problems and I'm now 100% confident I can yank all that heavy crap out without issue......

20231112 103906

20231112 103921

20231112 103934

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Also got my new steering wheel and quick release installed. I ordered some new mil spec micro switches, connectors and wiring and will have the shifter buttons installed and wired up later this week.

20231115 221427

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
And last but not least, I did a thing on Wednesday...... After spending 3 nights in our 28' enclosed trailer with no windows, no bathroom and no running water at Mid America Outdoors we decided it sucked and traded my trailer in on this new one that is much more well equipped for multi day camping/racing trips......

20231116 164017

I'll be picking it up Monday. :cool:

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Nice. Now you're going to have to perform considering how professional you will appear showing up in this new rig. Second place is the first place loser

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Nice. Now you're going to have to perform considering how professional you will appear showing up in this new rig. Second place is the first place loser

I'll take being on the podium at every race I've entered this year vs being an "also ran" any day of the week.

Oh, and you don't look like a professional short course racer in these parts until you start showing up in $750K toter homes pulling an $80k stacker trailer to race a golf cart in an amature class. There are 12 of those setups in the pits to every 1 normal pickup pulling a normal sized race trailer. Seriously. It's freakin nuts and makes me wonder what I did wrong in life to be so poor. šŸ¤£

Last edited:
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
You've got a Lot of jack tied up in your rig, not counting all the blood sweat and tears you've invested. I've had several employees at the dealer where I trade talk about their owners short track Talon. Seems as though these cars can be an extreme money pit, especially if you're hoping to have a spot on the podium

Last edited:
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
You've got a Loy of jsck tied up in your rig not counting all the blood sweat and tears you've invested. I've had several employee at the dealer where I trade talk about constantly talking about the owners short track Talon. Seems as though the car itself is an extreme money pit if you're hoping to have the ride to the front and podium

If I spent my money on hookers and blow instead of racing would it make you feel better?šŸ¤£

I probably shouldn't mention that I bought a new truck a few months ago either, that made the bigger trailer purchase possible, but not having kids and both of us having high paying jobs has its privileges....

20230920 193841

Last edited:
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL

Did you see they lowered the price on it to 32k!!! I donā€™t know why I keep watching itā€¦.šŸ¤Ŗ

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did you see they lowered the price on it to 32k!!! I donā€™t know why I keep watching itā€¦.šŸ¤Ŗ

Saw that. Lowball him at $25k and send a picture of the cash spread out on a table with the offer. You would be amazed at how motivated people are when you do that. I've bought several high end items from CL and FBMP over the years doing exactly that and it works 100% of the time. They may say no at first but they usually crack in a few hours or up to a couple days. šŸ˜

Perfect time to do it also because used and new toy sales are slowing way down with the higher intrest rates and its flipping back to a buyers market. I got a smokin deal on the new trailer and almost new money for my trade in because I know that they know times are changing and with a lot full of 2023's still in stock they were willing to wheel and deal to move them before the 2024's start rolling in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coeus and Plumber32
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Picked up our new trailer on Monday afternoon and it's pretty freakin awesome!

20231120 154846

20231122 172122

Last night Daisy and I hung out in the trailer and did a little decorating....
20231120 195444

This weekend I'm going to start on the fold out bed install. I bought a really nice kit from Blackfish Fabrication a few months ago that holds a 6" queen foam mattress but never got around to installing it due to all the other stuff I had going on at the time. Now I'm glad I didn't install it in the old trailer because it would have sucked to have to give it away with the trade and buy a new one.

IngoTheBarbarian

IngoTheBarbarian

Sep 25, 2021
US
Picked up our new trailer on Monday afternoon and it's pretty freakin awesome!

View attachment 410121
View attachment 410122

Last night Daisy and I hung out in the trailer and did a little decorating....
View attachment 410123

This weekend I'm going to start on the fold out bed install. I bought a really nice kit from Blackfish Fabrication a few months ago that holds a 6" queen foam mattress but never got around to installing it due to all the other stuff I had going on at the time. Now I'm glad I didn't install it in the old trailer because it would have sucked to have to give it away with the trade and buy a new one.

I'm going to build a cargo trailer out for Talon hauling and sleeping. I'll have to keep those fold down beds in mind.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm going to build a cargo trailer out for Talon hauling and sleeping. I'll have to keep those fold down beds in mind.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Go with cabelas cots. They are better than any bed I've been in.

Reactions: Smitty335
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
You've got a Loy of jsck tied up in your rig not counting all the blood sweat and tears you've invested. I've had several employee at the dealer where I trade talk about constantly talking about the owners short track Talon. Seems as though the car itself is an extreme money pit if you're hoping to have the ride to the front and podium
Going back and reading my previous post, WTF? GM at the Honda dealer I trade with also races a Talon short track as well. Lot's of blood sweat and beers, especially if you want to podium. I raced GNCC and youngest daughter competed horses from a young age. Now my granddaughter is giving my daughter a taste of things to come. We had horses, trucks, trailers, trainers, vets, farriers, tack, entry fees, stabling for numerous horses and lodging week after week. If I had things to do over, wouldn't change a thing. We worked hard to bankroll all our children's and my passions. My Ex was always supportive of all our endeavors. My son rode trials and scored the #1 AMA plate for his class in '09, and went on to race GNCC for a low budget KTM team until his mother put the brakes on that after our divorce. There's a lot of passion that goes into these sorts of endeavors and being competitive can be taxing on the purse strings and one's time. Congrats on the new rig, looks to be a nice project off season.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
In the quest to lighten the car up more for the 2024 season I started looking at the seat and mounts. My Coreabu fiberglass seat is 29lbs and the mounts are 7lbs per pair. I fit in the Coreabu ok but its not perfect but the new seat fits me 100% perfect. The shoulder bolsters are in the correct spot, the shoulder harness strap holes are higher and its longer in the leg area giving me more support. And as an added bonus its extremely comfortable. The new Sparco seat I bought is 12lbs and the mounts are 3.5lbs saving me a total of 20.5lbs which is pretty significant for 1 modification on a car that's already very light. My car weights 1540lbs race ready fuel of fuel without a driver. A bone stock Talon R off the showroom floor with less than 2 gallons of gas in it weights 1515lbs. I did a damn good job when I built that thing if I do say so myself.

Screenshot 20210806 230551 Samsung Internet

The new Sparco QRT-C carbon fiber seat. šŸ˜Ž
20231211 225234

20231211 225256

20231209 155008

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!