P1000 Small Oil Leak

S

SKG

May 1, 2017
Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I followed the oil change guide at 20 hours, did DCT and Engine filter. Tightened carefully but without a torque wrench.

Now I am at 40 hours, and I have just noticed I have a small oil leak. Evidence on the ground/garage makes me think it has been going on for a few days. Dip stick indicates I am still within a reasonable oil level, so I have not lost much.

The oil looks completely clean, and appears to be seeping from the bottom side of the DCT filter cap area. If I swipe my finger under the DCT filter area I'll get a small amount of clean oil. I picked up an appropriate torque wrench and checked those today and they are at least 9ft/lb per guide.

I did not change out any o-rings when I changed the oil... They looked fine and I reassembled with the old ones.

So.... Do I need to buy new o-rings, drain all the oil, and put in new oil/rings? Could it be something else common?

Thanks for any ideas...

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
You may not of got the cover on straight the bolts should of went in by hand all the way in then tighten them. It has A spring that makes it harder to keep it straight. or next time you change it put a new seal on it. if it is not leaking bad you could fix it on the next oil change.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well just to wrap up this thread - I drained most of the oil (the tank drain, not the pan) so I could remove the DCT cover, and found the o-ring pinched and damaged. Replaced and all is well.

Glad that you found it and that it was a cheap fix.

Ride on!!!!!!!!!!

S

Sloganuga

Jun 19, 2015
Leesburg, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So to revive a dated thread...
Just found the same situation. Completed first oil oil change and all was good for about 10 hours. Now found a small leak and it's coming from the DCT filter cover. Guess I'll get a new O-ring and open it up. Just to confirm, I need to drain the oil tank to replace this?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So to revive a dated thread...
Just found the same situation. Completed first oil oil change and all was good for about 10 hours. Now found a small leak and it's coming from the DCT filter cover. Guess I'll get a new O-ring and open it up. Just to confirm, I need to drain the oil tank to replace this?

You won't have to drain and refill. I went through something similar last week and tipped mine over to reduce oil loss.

B3471610a5ab549ec62344c70974b3c3

Reactions: Jediwrathchild

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!