JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Hey Guys,

Been on the cool size here for some time now down to 0 F or -20 C and cooler, in the evenings. Anyways ploughing snow and have smelled antifreeze, had a look around yet none on the ground or dripping that I can see. Overflow seems ok, so I'm thinking it might be just a loose hose clamp under the seat area due to the cool weather. Runs fine, fan pops on once in a while, doesn't overheat just smells, but not all the time, just seems to as it get up to op temp. I did check the rad and it was full. Anyone else have these symptoms?

I'll pull the seat out and have a look tomorrow, hopefully I won't have to pull the skid plates.

j

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hey Guys,

Been on the cool size here for some time now down to 0 F or -20 C and cooler, in the evenings. Anyways ploughing snow and have smelled antifreeze, had a look around yet none on the ground or dripping that I can see. Overflow seems ok, so I'm thinking it might be just a loose hose clamp under the seat area due to the cool weather. Runs fine, fan pops on once in a while, doesn't overheat just smells, but not all the time, just seems to as it get up to op temp. I did check the rad and it was full. Anyone else have these symptoms?

I'll pull the seat out and have a look tomorrow, hopefully I won't have to pull the skid plates.

j
I haven't had that or heard of it yet, good luck JC. Let us know.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Same thing happened to me this year on my 700, I had a loose hose clamp on the heat exchanger, that had leaked a very small amount but enough so I caught a wiff of it. I tightened the one that was leaking, dried the area as best as I could and checked the rest of the clamps (there's a million of them on a 700 w/heater) just to be sure.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was surprised and disappointed to see that honda used regular old school worm gear type of hose clamps. With the right tool a corbin style hose clamp are more reliable.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I was surprised and disappointed to see that honda used regular old school worm gear type of hose clamps. With the right tool a corbin style hose clamp are more reliable.

Easy now, you're bad mouthing the family. ;)

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Easy now, you're bad mouthing the family. ;)
Just saying they are more reliable of a clamp. It makes sense for them to use them at the factory too. Because with the right tool they are faster

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Just saying they are more reliable of a clamp. It makes sense for them to use them at the factory too. Because with the right tool they are faster

Oh I agree with you that they are better. Just have to be careful here. Wouldn't want to offend any sensibilities, lol.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The top hose was loose at the cylinder head on mine. Made a mess on the engine but just tightened it and cleaned up the engine.

Able3605

Able3605

Nov 10, 2015
South Tx
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey Guys,

j
JCart,I have a Ford F150 that had the same antifreeze smell with no obvious leaks.It turned out to be a pinhole in the heater core thus the smell was coming from the a/c / heater vents. A light, misty, oily fog of antifreeze was being blown throughout the cab. Different vehicles but same symptoms.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks guys,

I just snugged up the top radiator hose clamp today and that seemed to take care of the odour. As suspected the hose connections need tightening due to cool weather. No sign of leaking fluid, but could readily twist hose at rad connection. I'll check under seat tomorrow, it's cool enough that I'm concerned of breaking push pins and plastics so I've not really dug into it. As there is still coolant in the overflow I've not been worried (overly), engine temp is right on point, two bars and fan clicks on periodically.

In terms of clamp style I like the old school worm gear clamps, (provided they are quality ones) the Corbin style are ok... I just like the option to tighten as clamping material ages.

jrc

Last edited:
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
In terms of clamp style I like the old school worm gear clamps, (provided they are quality ones) the Corbin style are ok... I just like the option to tighten as clamping material ages.

jrc

aren't the corbin style clamps a spring type clamp that would tighten itself? I would think the corbin style would be better, but its another one of those things I'll get to someday.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!