Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone tested the OEM antifreeze low temperature protection? Don't have a tester.
Glad you asked that question, I keep forgetting to check mine so I just did and the factory antifreeze only goes to 20 above. So I would say the factory antifreeze is crap because my p5 is only 3 years old. I thought maybe the tester was bad but I checked it on the car and the truck and it worked just fine.

Last edited:
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I do know..honda uses med grade
stuff..so probably not very good
..I put the good stuff in...when
I got it...like a battery..every 4 yrs
...replace...
IMO

Reactions: 100Acre
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
mine was still liquid at -2F this morning. But I would say it is a good idea to replace with a premium product.

Reactions: 100Acre and BigOL3
D

Deleted member 3748

I wish I had thought of this a month ago... before the deep freeze happened. The Pioneer survived, but @Alan 's test makes me feel I got lucky.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Was wondering about this as I just bought everything to do the second service. I'm sure it's not just a drain and fill operation, anyone know the proper procedure so you don't get air in the system? Looked into it and it has to be a silicate free coolant. This stuff's rated pretty low.
Coolant - Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

D

Deleted member 3748

Just read that thread and it sounds like a total pita!
It said park it on a steep hill with the front up high and run it until hot. I imagine with the radiator cap off.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
From the manual:

Coolant Recommendation

Use Pro Honda HP coolant or an equivalent high-quality ethylene glycol antifreeze containing corrosion protection inhibitors specifically recommended for use in aluminum engines Check the antifreeze container label.

Use only distilled water as a part of the coolant solution. Water that is high in mineral content or salt may be harmful to the aluminum engine.

NOTICE
Using coolant with silicate inhibitors may cause premature wear of water pump seals or blockage of radiator passages. Using tap water may cause engine damage.

The factory provides a 50/50 solution of antifreeze and distilled water in this Honda SXS This coolant solution is recommended for most operating temperatures and provides good corrosion protection.

Decreasing the concentration of antifreeze to less than 40% will not provide proper corrosion protection.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Mudder asked the question about coolant yesterday and triggered a log of brain sensors, not only did check my antifreeze was was showing about 20 degrees, I got my service manual out and the maintenance schedule says replace every 2 years regardless of mileage. (section 3-3 if you have the service manual. I am sure it's in the user manual as well.

Reactions: Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
What kind of antifreeze can be used in the p500.
Bought this Maxima premium product before motorcycle was totaled. Glad I kept it. Decent reviews. Pre-mixed with water, -34F.
Maxima Coolanol

Last edited:
Reactions: CumminsPusher
Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Glad you asked that question, I keep forgetting to check mine so I just did and the factory antifreeze only goes to 20 above. So I would say the factory antifreeze is crap because my p5 is only 3 years old. I thought maybe the tester was bad but I checked it on the car and the truck and it worked just fine.

Make sure you have a tester for ethylene glycol and not propylene glycol. They make both types of testers. I tested mine and it’s good to -25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Make sure you have a tester for ethylene glycol and not propylene glycol. They make both types of testers. I tested mine and it’s good to -25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is a ethylene tester but thanks for bringing it up Elkhunter.

D

Deleted member 3748

Here are the directions for the P5 Service Manual for coolant replacement
That looks really easy and there's a bleeder screw, answering all questions. :) Thanks for sharing, @Alan

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!