P500 Snorkels /unifoam for engine protection from Dust ?

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I Am wanting to make sure that I am Keeping dust out of the Engine of of my 2021 Pioneer 500.

Also wanting to Make sure that Wasp and Mice are not getting into the Air intake tube if I can.

I personally know a Farmer that had to pay a lot of money to get his fixed as although his was under warranty, Honda said that the problems were caused by running without Keeping the air filter clean enough (He drives a lot on Gravel roads to access the many acres of agri fields that he Leases for farming purposes.

As I drive gravel roads myself I am wanting to stop this Potential Problem before it starts.

I was on the forurm a couple of days ago and was reading about different ways to Snorkle to prevent this and also read something about A guy ,I believe was Called TacoBob that another guy was saying had used a Unifoam sheet to Capture the dirt/dust .

Apparently this guy 'TacoBob'was putting the UniFoam right where the Factory Air intake Tube starts right behind and beside the drivers seat,and lifting the top and using the top to secure the Unifoam.

The comment on "TacoBob' s post was short on details Such as thickness size etc.
So I got signd in and have called myself searching for TacoBob and cannot find TacoBob to researdh his post and find information about how to use the Unifoam,How effective it is and whether is starves the engine for air when used in addition to the Factory Air filter.ETC

If anyone could provide me with a Link to this article I would appreciate it.

As Far as general Questions about Snorkels are concerned when any other type of additional filter is used ,does it not constrict the air flow to the Factory Air filter and air filter Box even when the recommended 2 inch ID PVC tube is used and starve it for air ?

Thank's

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yup, the search up top. 🤣

There are a few threads on that 2” snorkel with pics and everything you need. I think I had details of it my old P5 build. You Just have to look up there, youll find it.

Reactions: Bcraig
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Bcraig
Searched it for you. Old PH did the original.
Its well detailed

Reactions: Bcraig
B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
@Bcraig
Searched it for you. Old PH did the original.
Its well detailed
Thanks for this but I have been looking for TacoBob and this is all I have found
Post in thread '3,000 Mile Report'
Talon - 3,000 Mile Report
I have been unable to find any thing that details how TacoBob just used the Uni foam under the Factory cover that snaps over the end of the air intake tube,it is almost square and phase several slots in it to allow air into the tube and the other end goes into the air filter box.

Perhaps I read the Comment wrong but the way I understood the comment buy the commenter was that it was a very easy way to add more filtering without having to use snorkels.

I even tried looking up TacoBob on the Members list and it said there is no such member.

I also tried googling TacoBob using Unifoam on hondasxs.com and could not find anything.

I will go back and reread the link that you sent me and see if I see anything about TacoBob and his use of Unifoam.

Thanks

Reactions: Remington
B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This guy is what I see when trying to look up TacoBob as a member
It say that there are no members by that name and to try google

Last edited:
Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
This guy is what I see when trying to look up TacoBob as a member
It say that there are no members by that name and to try google
Well there is no @TocoBob he dosnt come up when u tag him like @Bcraig so he doesn't exist. Looks like your gonna have to design this yourself. Sounds like you have enough information to get it going then start a thread on it showing people how it’s done so when someone like you wants to look for it, they could actually find it. and not have to look for a member that doesn’t exist anymore named TocoBob. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Or just do the one in the link I posted that works very well. I would suggest for you to look up @trigger build for Ideas on this hes done a few

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I Am wanting to make sure that I am Keeping dust out of the Engine of of my 2021 Pioneer 500.

Also wanting to Make sure that Wasp and Mice are not getting into the Air intake tube if I can.

I personally know a Farmer that had to pay a lot of money to get his fixed as although his was under warranty, Honda said that the problems were caused by running without Keeping the air filter clean enough (He drives a lot on Gravel roads to access the many acres of agri fields that he Leases for farming purposes.

As I drive gravel roads myself I am wanting to stop this Potential Problem before it starts.

I was on the forurm a couple of days ago and was reading about different ways to Snorkle to prevent this and also read something about A guy ,I believe was Called TacoBob that another guy was saying had used a Unifoam sheet to Capture the dirt/dust .

Apparently this guy 'TacoBob'was putting the UniFoam right where the Factory Air intake Tube starts right behind and beside the drivers seat,and lifting the top and using the top to secure the Unifoam.

The comment on "TacoBob' s post was short on details Such as thickness size etc.
So I got signd in and have called myself searching for TacoBob and cannot find TacoBob to researdh his post and find information about how to use the Unifoam,How effective it is and whether is starves the engine for air when used in addition to the Factory Air filter.ETC

As Far as general Questions about Snorkels are concerned when any other type of additional filter is used ,does it not constrict the air flow to the Factory Air filter and air filter Box even when the recommended 2 inch ID PVC tube is used and starve it for air ?

Thank's
I'd suggest a snorkel just to raise the intake height for that 'oh sh!t' moment. As for keeping the factory setup and getting better filtration without restricting airflow, I'd suggest slipping a pantyhose over the intake. It'll keep the bugs out when it's just sitting too.

HiFive

HiFive

Apr 17, 2019
West Central Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
Snorkeling is good for dust and unexpected water holes. Worth the peace of mind. Just check filter on a regular basis and keep clean and reoil. Normal maintenance.

1020201125a

Last edited:
advertisement
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
u are overthinking this

if your concern is mice building houses - just secure a piece of 1/4" screening over intake and if concerned over wasps just take some citronella candle wax and smear around intake - wasps and most bugs hate that stuff

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
You have to oil the foam. I did 3 Pioneer 500's and the tubing goes up on the driver's side. This is my 520 snorkel link. On my Talon's I change the under roof prefilter every 8,000 to 10,000 miles. I'm only at 4,000 miles on my Pioneer 520 and my prefilter is still clean. Not sure how Taco Bob did his 500 but you need to search under Huck.

P500 - Pioneer 520 Snorkel

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You have to oil the foam. I did 3 Pioneer 500's and the tubing goes up on the driver's side. This is my 520 snorkel link. On my Talon's I change the under roof prefilter every 8,000 to 10,000 miles. I'm only at 4,000 miles on my Pioneer 520 and my prefilter is still clean. Not sure how Taco Bob did his 500 but you need to search under Huck.

P500 - Pioneer 520 Snorkel
Thanks ,I found the thread I was looking for using Huck to search and responded to the thread.

B

Bcraig

Jul 10, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'd suggest a snorkel just to raise the intake height for that 'oh sh!t' moment. As for keeping the factory setup and getting better filtration without restricting airflow, I'd suggest slipping a pantyhose over the intake. It'll keep the bugs out when it's just sitting too.
Thanks
The idea of raising the intake height is a very good idea.

I can recall many times walking in the woods hunting when the bayou was up out of its banks and having water go from halfway up to my knees to the next step floating my hat !!

Never know till after the fact and it’s too late.