P500 Air filter maintenance

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Too much oil causes restriction. All we use in the shop I work at is K&N filter cleaner and / or Dawn, then after it's dry we spray the outside with PJ aerosol foam filter oil and work it in a little bit.

We always add a thin layer of Belray waterproof grease to the rim of the filter. Helps ensure a tight seal so no fines get thru.

B

Broncbob

Jul 2, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
After looking in the air box after the first ride when new, a snorkel is high on the list of mods I'm going to make, and I don't ride mud or deep water! My whole air box was dusted!

papermaker

papermaker

Jan 18, 2019
Lewiston, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Does putting the snorkel on the inside of the cab works better than putting it on the outside?

MarlinWalker

MarlinWalker

Aug 25, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I used the existing sound chamber but snorkeled to the outside. I have a back panel that must create a dust vacuum at the factory intake and I cannot believe how quick the air filter gets dirty in dusty conditions. Like it can be shot in one good ride. I found this thread from @Texas_Newfie and modeled it almost exactly.

P500 - A Simple Snorkel

It has helped a ton. It hasn't got real dusty here yet so the true test will be later in the summer but sucking air up high has to be much better than a foot above the tire.

IMG 20190511 160131058

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
HondaBob snorkels his inside and then puts a cone filter at the top of the snorkel . His regular filter doesn't get dirty at all .
TacoBob puts a peace of unifilter over the original intake and then snaps the cap back on . Clean/change filter at each oil change and it barely needs cleaned . If your only going for cleaner air , TacoBob's way is MUCH easier .

MarlinWalker

MarlinWalker

Aug 25, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
HondaBob snorkels his inside and then puts a cone filter at the top of the snorkel . His regular filter doesn't get dirty at all .
TacoBob puts a peace of unifilter over the original intake and then snaps the cap back on . Clean/change filter at each oil change and it barely needs cleaned . If your only going for cleaner air , TacoBob's way is MUCH easier .

But what does SpongeBob use?

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Genius idea! I may try this.

SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
After looking in the air box after the first ride when new, a snorkel is high on the list of mods I'm going to make, and I don't ride mud or deep water! My whole air box was dusted!
Mine surprised me too. I already have a new "no toil" filter waiting in my shop for Rambo. Just need the time to change it!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I used the existing sound chamber but snorkeled to the outside. I have a back panel that must create a dust vacuum at the factory intake and I cannot believe how quick the air filter gets dirty in dusty conditions. Like it can be shot in one good ride. I found this thread from @Texas_Newfie and modeled it almost exactly.

P500 - A Simple Snorkel

It has helped a ton. It hasn't got real dusty here yet so the true test will be later in the summer but sucking air up high has to be much better than a foot above the tire.

View attachment 129835

That would be torn right off around here. Depending on the trails you ride, I'd recommend keeping it within the rops.
Never rode in one drawing from inside the cab but have read that it's louder. I run as many pre-filters as possible, panty hose on the tips and pre-charger around the K&N.

Snorkel Intakes

MarlinWalker

MarlinWalker

Aug 25, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
That would be torn right off around here. Depending on the trails you ride, I'd recommend keeping it within the rops.

It is a nuisance having to watch out for it when riding tight trails. I very well may make another one that is within the ROP at a later time. To do that I would need to move my box and rack rearward and they are all drilled and bolted down so I went with this config for the time being. Having it punch through the back panel like you have would be another option as well.

Reactions: trigger
Idahocrawler

Idahocrawler

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

Does tacobob oil that ink filter or is it dry ?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!