P1000m5 Snow Adventures

M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
Well, yesterday I left work at 11:00 due to snow conditions where I work. My wife and children were at the local school (wife works there). They didn't let out until 1:00 and before she could get home she was stuck due to ice on a large grade. Of course, I had a choice of a 4x4 dually diesel or the pioneer...what do you think I chose to come to the rescue!!

When I got to her (about 6 miles away) there was about 2-3" of snow on the road and ground with a layer of ice underneath (it was raining before it snowed). We got her car into a parking lot and I carried her and the two kids home (third kid was at home in bed with my mother watching her).

Here is where it gets interesting...on my way taking her home another guy needed a ride and we took him as well (he was stranded). While dropping him off the local police asked me to help, so I spent the next 4 hours empting a school bus load of kids. The school bus had slid into a ditch and was stuck. I carried more than 25-30 people to their parents in the pioneer...without fail every one of them said close the the same thing "This thing is awesome!"...I also pulled two vehicles up a icy hill!!

I hate that I didn't hook up the Go-Pro but I was in a rush to get to my family and everything snowballed from there so no video :-(

I will point out that during this 4+ hour rescue effort not once did the transmission slip or shutter, not once did the engine not have enough power, and not once did it disappoint! I did run across a RZR that was slipping his belt where the snow was making it wet and he was trying to pull a car (the same one I pulled without issue). One older couple I carried home asked me if I was with the police departement, I said no but they should invest in one of these. LOL!!

The only real problem I ran into was the windshield kept getting covered in snow and then would melt just enough to then freeze as ice and visability became more difficult as the day went on.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well, yesterday I left work at 11:00 due to snow conditions where I work. My wife and children were at the local school (wife works there). They didn't let out until 1:00 and before she could get home she was stuck due to ice on a large grade. Of course, I had a choice of a 4x4 dually diesel or the pioneer...what do you think I chose to come to the rescue!!

When I got to her (about 6 miles away) there was about 2-3" of snow on the road and ground with a layer of ice underneath (it was raining before it snowed). We got her car into a parking lot and I carried her and the two kids home (third kid was at home in bed with my mother watching her).

Here is where it gets interesting...on my way taking her home another guy needed a ride and we took him as well (he was stranded). While dropping him off the local police asked me to help, so I spent the next 4 hours empting a school bus load of kids. The school bus had slid into a ditch and was stuck. I carried more than 25-30 people to their parents in the pioneer...without fail every one of them said close the the same thing "This thing is awesome!"...I also pulled two vehicles up a icy hill!!

I hate that I didn't hook up the Go-Pro but I was in a rush to get to my family and everything snowballed from there so no video :-(

I will point out that during this 4+ hour rescue effort not once did the transmission slip or shutter, not once did the engine not have enough power, and not once did it disappoint! I did run across a RZR that was slipping his belt where the snow was making it wet and he was trying to pull a car (the same one I pulled without issue). One older couple I carried home asked me if I was with the police departement, I said no but they should invest in one of these. LOL!!

The only real problem I ran into was the windshield kept getting covered in snow and then would melt just enough to then freeze as ice and visability became more difficult as the day went on.

Great story, thanks for sharing your experience with us.

@Marine660 Good Samaritan of the Year nominee - Honda SXS Club

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Awesome story, renews faith in people. Please take your gopro next time. Would be much more fun to watch than some videos. Wish it would snow here, but only rains continuously.

Reactions: Marine660
M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
I didn't post this for "atta boys" I did it because I was/am proud of my machine and how well it did. I am shocked by folks complaining about the tranny!! These complainers need to go ride in a poo poo (Polaris) or can am commander. WOW talk about noise and burnt belts hope in the commander (I had two of them).

Reactions: vince
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I didn't post this for "atta boys" I did it because I was/am proud of my machine and how well it did. I am shocked by folks complaining about the tranny!! These complainers need to go ride in a poo poo (Polaris) or can am commander. WOW talk about noise and burnt belts hope in the commander (I had two of them).

Well I am proud of you helping those in need and also of how well your machine performed as well. But just as important the goodwill it creates with the public and LEO community of people helping people with thier SXS. I would expect you would have little issues with the police after pitching in like you did. The fact it was a fun test of your equipment is just icing on the cake.

M

Marine660

Club Contributor
Dec 12, 2015
Well I am proud of you helping those in need and also of how well your machine performed as well. But just as important the goodwill it creates with the public and LEO community of people helping people with thier SXS. I would expect you would have little issues with the police after pitching in like you did. The fact it was a fun test of your equipment is just icing on the cake.

Thank you Jackel and all those with such kind words.

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
Good job!

I had a similar good time here last Friday
through Sunday. We had 12" of snow & I
rode around our development giving rides
to stranded neighbors, helped some dig
their cars out Sunday & checked on our
older folks. The 1k3 performed flawlessly
& was so much fun!

Here is a pic from Friday when we were
just riding around, wife & son. This was
the most fun I have in the snow in years!

I don't think my wife really understood
the capabilities of the 1k3 until this.
She says it's a keeper!

E8nwug

John

Reactions: Marine660

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!