So now that NC has legalized UTVs will the rear tires wear out on pavement?

Rick49274

Rick49274

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2021
Reading MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Does Anyone know about wear on sand and gravel? That is 90% of my riding.

Running Tusk Terrabite® Radial Tire's - Medium/Hard Terrain.

Any insight?

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Check my earlier pics, the rest of my trails are all sand/gravel. Basically these are soft tires. If you want long tire life, get some BFG AT truck tires.

Paulie86314

Paulie86314

Apr 8, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes. 1000 has turf but NO park brake.

If I'm reading the law right, you don't even need a windshield with a full helmet.
Just turn singal, horn, and park brake.

Sorry 500 guys, you don't meet size requirements currently.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I have a hillbilly brake on my 1000 works great when I have it parked in my driveway and use it when I go shopping

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The pioneer700 has locked rear end. Am I going to eat through a pair a tires every 100 miles riding on paved roads?. Thinking about trading up to a 1000, I can’t find if they have a turf mode.
Depends on the tire and if you are going in circles, you will scrub off tires fast but scrub only happens when you are turning and road driving is mostly straight. I drive my Talon on paved roads quite a bit and after 1500 miles, my Terrabites are barely worn.

Does Anyone know about wear on sand and gravel? That is 90% of my riding.

Running Tusk Terrabite® Radial Tire's - Medium/Hard Terrain.

Any insight?
Terrabites last forever. I have 1,500 miles mixed trail, rock sand and pavement and they are barely worn.

@hondabob got 15,000+ miles with a set on his Talon that he mostly used in Arizona desert terrain.

ACfixer

ACfixer

Global Warming Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah you can add a Hillbilly brake or something NC folks, pretty sure that would get you there if they really need to see one.

Tennessee didn't even inspect my vehicle, they just took the $24 and handed me a plate.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yeah you can add a Hillbilly brake or something NC folks, pretty sure that would get you there if they really need to see one.

Tennessee didn't even inspect my vehicle, they just took the $24 and handed me a plate.
I would agree with this. Unless the law is specific (like a few states) and say "A separate hand operated park brake system independent of the hydraulic foot brakes", then anything that will hold the brakes while parked should suffice.

Teammontana

Teammontana

Apr 3, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
in Montana we have had street legal ATV, SxS, and dirt bikes for a long time. I can tell you that the initial reason was two fold, one to raise revenue and two to further the Forest Service ability to harass the public on public lands since they required street legal on forest roads. Depending on who stops you they will either be agreeable or drag out all the law books because they want to find a reason to ticket you. As a tire distributor I can tell you that running around at highway speed on asphalt with deep lug tires will almost certainly cause cracking at the base of your tire lugs. Heat and the inability of the tires to loose traction on asphalt causes this. These cracks will almost never result in a tire failure and are not a warranty issue in most cases.

F

Floridahond

May 13, 2021
Ownership

1. 500
Depends on the tire and if you are going in circles, you will scrub off tires fast but scrub only happens when you are turning and road driving is mostly straight. I drive my Talon on paved roads quite a bit and after 1500 miles, my Terrabites are barely worn.

Terrabites last forever. I have 1,500 miles mixed trail, rock sand and pavement and they are barely worn.

@hondabob got 15,000+ miles with a set on his Talon that he mostly used in Arizona desert terrain.
Any good radial tire that isn't a super aggressive mud tire like the ITP XTR will work fantastic in those like your tusks. The ITP terracross is an incredible tire as well and will get just as good if not better wear

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
As a tire distributor I can tell you that running around at highway speed on asphalt with deep lug tires will almost certainly cause cracking at the base of your tire lugs. Heat and the inability of the tires to loose traction on asphalt causes this.
This is most interesting! Does this apply to D.O.T. approved tires like the Terrabite? If so, I will need to keep an eye on mine.

Reactions: rtn001 and J80
M

Mnjr

Jun 15, 2017
Mammoth Spring, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
My P1000-3 has only been driven on blacktop pavement. The odometer is showing about 950 miles and the tires show very little wear. If the tires are worn out by 6000 - 8000 miles that will give me an excuse to buy a set of light truck winter tires. Any tires that don't howl so loud I have to wear ear protectors will be good.

Who needs a parking brake? The P1000s have a PARK position in the transmission which locks the driveline.

My P1000 is insured, inspected, and licensed in WV iaw with the stature. I had to add inside and outside rear view miorrors, turn signals, and a horn to pass inspection.

I suspect some state legislators were badly advised when drafting their ORV laws.
My 700 has never been on pavement, just clay and gravel. 4100 miles and I just installed my third set of tires. Went to 8 ply Trilobites.

B

bs4u00

Mar 6, 2019
WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Question: How is the brake on the Pioneer 1000's not a parking brake. I shift the shift lever into P, which stands for Park. How is that not a parking brake?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Question: How is the brake on the Pioneer 1000's not a parking brake. I shift the shift lever into P, which stands for Park. How is that not a parking brake?
You've driven an automatic car presumably. P for park right. And then there is also a parking brake (electronic button "somewhere", far left foot well pedal, or center console hand operated). The P1k only has the P for park....which doesn't set a brake at all.

B

bs4u00

Mar 6, 2019
WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You've driven an automatic car presumably. P for park right. And then there is also a parking brake (electronic button "somewhere", far left foot well pedal, or center console hand operated). The P1k only has the P for park....which doesn't set a brake at all.
Thanks for the explanation. Hard to understand how there could be a restriction that says the machine needs a "parking brake".

J

Jade

Nov 10, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Man that sucks, I was thinking about getting a 1000. I can’t believe it doesn’t have a parking break. But they do have turf mode?
I was able to get a after market parking break from my Honda Dealer, they installed it. Was $75 dollars with a $25 dollar installation fee.

It goes on the floor on the drivers side and you push it in and lock it, and push again to unlock...its installed with two bolts and pinches the brake cable when you push it in the locked position. Unlocked the cable slides free.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I was able to get a after market parking break from my Honda Dealer, they installed it. Was $75 dollars with a $25 dollar installation fee.

It goes on the floor on the drivers side and you push it in and lock it, and push again to unlock...its installed with two bolts and pinches the brake cable when you push it in the locked position. Unlocked the cable slides free.
Most likley a @Hillbilly Brake.

I'm afraid that will not suffice but I am still uncertin.

Here is some info I found regard this where they classify a parking brake as a handbrake.
Link -- http://reports.oah.state.nc.us/ncac... vehicles/subchapter d/19a ncac 03d .0532.pdf
Handbrakes (auxiliary, parking or holding) shall not be approved if: (a) There is no lever reserve when the brake is fully applied. (b) Cables are visibly frayed or frozen, or there are missing or defective cotter pins or broken or missing retracting springs or worn rods or couplings. (c) The operating mechanism, when fully applied, fails to hold the brakes in the applied position without manual effort. (d) When emergency or handbrakes are applied they fail to hold vehicle.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!