So now that NC has legalized UTVs will the rear tires wear out on pavement?

ACfixer

ACfixer

Global Warming Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Side note: great news and fully enjoy the street-legal freedoms, but try to keep the noise and rodding down. It's a privilege, not a right, and the quieter the better.

Yep, we live in the county area where anything goes... but we all respect each other. Nobody is out with a loud bike or shooting their guns at 7am on Sunday etc. In turn, nobody calls the cops on anybody for otherwise petty things. It works both ways, we enjoy our freedoms while respecting the property and privacy of those around us.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep, we live in the county area where anything goes... but we all respect each other. Nobody is out with a loud bike or shooting their guns at 7am on Sunday etc. In turn, nobody calls the cops on anybody for otherwise petty things. It works both ways, we enjoy our freedoms while respecting the property and privacy of those around us.
Yep. Doesn't have to make sense, it's just whether someone is offended. It's right there after life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness - the right to make others do what you want.

THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN

Lifetime Member
Apr 4, 2018
Washington, North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the Hillbilly brake should qualify for the parking brake. You can put it in neutral and it will not roll, on a incline. It is foot or hand operated. Just like in a truck or car. It says parking brake not emergency brake

Teammontana

Teammontana

Apr 3, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As a distributor of a major brand of SxS tires, I can tell you there is a lot of difference between dirt and pavement stress on tires. On dirt, the tires are constantly slipping when cornering, braking, and accelerating. On pavement, the tires grip much harder and the tires run much hotter. This lack of give and extra heat will cause deep lug tires to crack around the base of the lugsand cause irregular wear. While this will probably not result in failure, it is also not a warranty issue. I would recommend running tires that are less aggressive with shorter tread height to get the most wear and enjoyment from your tires on pavement. I would also not recommend light truck tires on your machine. A typical truck tire weighs around 70 lbs compared to an atv tire at half that much. The extra weight reduces your power to the ground and causes greater stress and faster wear to your drive train and suspension components. You should also adapt your clutching or you have a belt drive system.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
As a distributor of a major brand of SxS tires, I can tell you there is a lot of difference between dirt and pavement stress on tires. On dirt, the tires are constantly slipping when cornering, braking, and accelerating. On pavement, the tires grip much harder and the tires run much hotter. This lack of give and extra heat will cause deep lug tires to crack around the base of the lugsand cause irregular wear. While this will probably not result in failure, it is also not a warranty issue. I would recommend running tires that are less aggressive with shorter tread height to get the most wear and enjoyment from your tires on pavement. I would also not recommend light truck tires on your machine. A typical truck tire weighs around 70 lbs compared to an atv tire at half that much. The extra weight reduces your power to the ground and causes greater stress and faster wear to your drive train and suspension components. You should also adapt your clutching or you have a belt drive system.
Mmmm, I have no doubt that you know more about tires than I do, I'll concede that but maybe you should define 'truck tire'. The 30" BFG K02 (a popular LT OHV tire) weighs 39.66 lbs per their site, my 30" STI Chicane RX tires weigh 38.4 lbs on my scale. 1.26 pounds is hardly twice as heavy.

Reactions: PaulF
Teammontana

Teammontana

Apr 3, 2021
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Double is probably a stretch but I was comparing the stock tires to those that typically get put on. The stock front 27” Big Horn tires on a Pioneer 1000 weigh 22# in a 6 ply rated, but the stock tires are only 4 ply so probably a little lighter. 12” tires are heavier than 14” due to the 14” shorter sidewall and 15“ in the same diameter are likewise lighter than 14” for the same reason. But the weight is pushed further out from a rotational standpoint so the physics of a larger tire can’t just be looked at from a dead weight standpoint. Comparing 8 ply rated ATV to 4 or 6 ply rated LT also results in a lessor weight difference, plus the ATV tires always have a deeper tread depth, sometimes over double. Probably the biggest difference is the air pressure. ATV tires are designed to work at much lower air pressures than LT tires, plus the wheels for ATV are likewise rated for lower pressures. LT tires normally give their best performance and mileage, on a truck, at the maximum rated PSI. Running them at the recommended PSI for a Pioneer could result in failure due to excessive heat buildup. Dealers tell me that customers running LT tires on their RZRs have more repair issues, but that usually means the customer also went to lift kits and larger tires so maybe the LT tires aren’t the only issue. Personally, when a customer tells me they are only using their machine on the street, I recommend putting passenger car all season tires on them, not LT. I know on my Pioneer 1000, when I went to 28x10r14 deep lug 8 ply rated tires, the acceleration was affected as well as top speed, about 60 mph. BFG is one manufacturer that makes both ATV and LT tires and they claim much better performance on ATVs/SxS running the proper tires.

Reactions: Shelly and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!