So now that NC has legalized UTVs will the rear tires wear out on pavement?

S

stressed1_2

May 24, 2021
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have been running my 700 on pavement for a few months now and back tires are gone. It eats them up fast
I only have 750 miles on mine and the front tires are about bald, The back is ok with some wear. I mainly do road rides and you can smell the hot rubber when done riding. The stock tires suck. Have a new set ordered, can’t remember the brand but the seller said he has 3000 miles on his with little wear and mainly road riding.

R

RLovgren

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2019
Albemarle NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes.
You can hear them squealing when turning on pavement in 2x4. But when I put my 1000 in turf mode, it doesn't.
Alignment will also be a huge issue that will eat up some tires.

I'm actually considering a second set of kicks just for local pavement riding. But I'm not sure how much road riding I will actually do.

Regarding the new law. The 700 can be easily made to qualify. The 1000 not so much as it does not have a park brake. I'm going to try and get the Hillybilly Brake to pass early Oct.

As a real park brake. I have a idea. But I'd rather wait till I have a answer on the Hillybilly Brake before continuing.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I suspect that the park position will qualify as a parking brake since it prevents the vehicle from moving

monbecca

monbecca

Mar 9, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been running my 700 on pavement for a few months now and back tires are gone. It eats them up fast
Yes.
You can hear them squealing when turning on pavement in 2x4. But when I put my 1000 in turf mode, it doesn't.
Alignment will also be a huge issue that will eat up some tires.

I'm actually considering a second set of kicks just for local pavement riding. But I'm not sure how much road riding I will actually do.

Regarding the new law. The 700 can be easily made to qualify. The 1000 not so much as it does not have a park brake. I'm going to try and get the Hillybilly Brake to pass early Oct.

As a real park brake. I have a idea. But I'd rather wait till I have a answer on the Hillybilly Brake before continuing.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Hi all, again very new here. A bit off topic but can I ask a question as you spoke on turf mode. I have pioneer 1000 and drive many types of roads and trails, dealer said turf mode is used most of time.... so what do you all recommend from dirt to road? Again SO much to learn still for me. Thank you

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Because it's not a brake.
If they do an inspection, at min, you will be required to put it in N and set the "park brake" then check for roll.
Or worse.. Do a rolling "park brake", "emergency" stop.
An inspection in Ohio (only really required when salvage title or bringing in an out of state vehicle) definitely does a Neutral hold test on an incline with the parking brake set.

J

Jade

Nov 10, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: TimG and J80
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Can a Honda pioneer 520 possibly be made to qualify?
Maybe, if you can persuade the inspector to accept some modifications. IE, added bumper and spacers/wheel/tire changes.
Length - 105" long. needs to be 110"
Width - 50" wide, needs to be 58"
Whats the top speed? Needs to be 40.

Reactions: TimG and J80
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Question: How is the brake on the Pioneer 1000's not a parking brake. I shift the shift lever into P, which stands for Park. How is that not a parking brake?
When you put your car or truck into Park, you haven’t applied a parking brake either….🤔

Reactions: J80
C

ckeele223

Apr 2, 2019
St. George, Utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
My 2018 700-4 has a turf mode, I think if you are planning on riding on payment a lot you should get some D.O.T. approved tires anyway, they should last a lot better I think.

Reactions: monbecca
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a Teryx 4 that I drove on pavement quite a bit, including too much in 4wd, running Maxxis Bighorn 2.0s. Can't recall the specifics, but I think they were 9 wide in front and 11 in the rear. When I sold it at 2,600 miles, I'd replaced the fronts but not the rears. They both had over a 1/2" of good tread. These were not, of course, good pavement tires but did fine.

It really helped when I stopped leaving it in 4wd on the pavement. (I know, the board just gave me a collective Duh!)

Side note: great news and fully enjoy the street-legal freedoms, but try to keep the noise and rodding down. It's a privilege, not a right, and the quieter the better. If you want to see what happens, google Moab's street legal UTV issues. Moab depends on the off-roaders of all types for its economy but there is a serious backlash about UTVs.

cdoerhoff

cdoerhoff

May 23, 2021
St Louis
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My P1000-3 has only been driven on blacktop pavement. The odometer is showing about 950 miles and the tires show very little wear. If the tires are worn out by 6000 - 8000 miles that will give me an excuse to buy a set of light truck winter tires. Any tires that don't howl so loud I have to wear ear protectors will be good.

Who needs a parking brake? The P1000s have a PARK position in the transmission which locks the driveline.

My P1000 is insured, inspected, and licensed in WV iaw with the stature. I had to add inside and outside rear view miorrors, turn signals, and a horn to pass inspection.

I suspect some state legislators were badly advised when drafting their ORV laws.
Do you use turf mode?

J

just for kicks

May 10, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The pioneer700 has locked rear end. Am I going to eat through a pair a tires every 100 miles riding on paved roads?. Thinking about trading up to a 1000, I can’t find if they have a turf mode.
yes the 1000 does have turf mode and it does save on the tires

Rodger Dodger

Rodger Dodger

May 11, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
I put a 2” lift on my 700. Running 28” super swamper truck tires on it. I have put enough miles on them on asphalt over the last two years to wear out at least one set if not two utv tires. Still look brand new and pull just fine. Definitely more durable then the thinner buggy tires.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!