P500 Something Odd/Wrong happened today.

50calty

Jun 21, 2015
Went to start it and all I heard was a "click" and on the screen it didn't show what gear I was in. Tried it a few times off and on nothing. I moved the 500 and finally hear a click and the screen showed I was in "L". Shifted it to neutral and still nothing. Finally after about 15 clicks it started. Let it warm up a while and then started out. Shifted to L fine but wouldn't shift to 2nd. The paddles almost acted like they wouldn't work. After the 5 time hitting the paddle it shifted to 2nd. After that whole mess it never acted up again for the afternoon. So any ideas?

Looked on old post and found that my clutch could be out of adjustment. So I've adjusted that. One side note is that my last use I gave it a good wash/cleaning. I thought everything was dry and had it parked in my garage. It sat for two weeks before today. Thanks

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Went to start it and all I heard was a "click" and on the screen it didn't show what gear I was in. Tried it a few times off and on nothing. I moved the 500 and finally hear a click and the screen showed I was in "L". Shifted it to neutral and still nothing. Finally after about 15 clicks it started. Let it warm up a while and then started out. Shifted to L fine but wouldn't shift to 2nd. The paddles almost acted like they wouldn't work. After the 5 time hitting the paddle it shifted to 2nd. After that whole mess it never acted up again for the afternoon. So any ideas?

Looked on old post and found that my clutch could be out of adjustment. So I've adjusted that. One side note is that my last use I gave it a good wash/cleaning. I thought everything was dry and had it parked in my garage. It sat for two weeks before today. Thanks
It doesn't like to shift when it is not running,start it with the brake if it is not in neutral. On my brake you have to push pretty hard to get the brake light to come on. If it doesn't shift after a few tries shut it off for a few seconds and try again. Everything gets smoother after a few hundred miles. Btw welcome to the club!

Reactions: trigger and cthack
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Welcome in 50. Let us see the pics when you can.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I often have to rock mine if I shut it off in gear and it rolls a bit to preload the transmission. When I turn on the key and all I see is a - I know whats up. Also, I have heard that mud build up can cause issues.

Reactions: 500oneer
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Funny, mine has started to do something similar. It is really bad when it gets cold, and it seems to shift better when letting off the gas. When I first got it the clutch was out of adjustment and slipped, I readjusted it and worked well for awhile but now it is hard to get it to shift from L to 2. Maybe it is breaking in and I need to adjust it again...dunno what is going on. I have about 300miles on it now so it is still probably not fully broken in, how many miles you got? It does seem like my machine works better when I use it alot, when it sets up it gets kinda ornery.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Funny, mine has started to do something similar. It is really bad when it gets cold, and it seems to shift better when letting off the gas. When I first got it the clutch was out of adjustment and slipped, I readjusted it and worked well for awhile but now it is hard to get it to shift from L to 2. Maybe it is breaking in and I need to adjust it again...dunno what is going on. I have about 300miles on it now so it is still probably not fully broken in, how many miles you got? It does seem like my machine works better when I use it alot, when it sets up it gets kinda ornery.
My machine occasionally will not shift up from L to 2. It seems to do that shortly after starting. I have almost 800 miles.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
It doesn't like to shift when it is not running,start it with the brake if it is not in neutral. On my brake you have to push pretty hard to get the brake light to come on. If it doesn't shift after a few tries shut it off for a few seconds and try again. Everything gets smoother after a few hundred miles. Btw welcome to the club!
Mine is always in neutral with brake on unless I'm moving...even trailer it that way.
I've read about that problem before and, thankfully, has never happened to me.

Reactions: 500oneer
F

fish

May 20, 2016
Sault Ste. Marie Ontario
Ownership

1. 700-4
I often have to rock mine if I shut it off in gear and it rolls a bit to preload the transmission. When I turn on the key and all I see is a - I know whats up. Also, I have heard that mud build up can cause issues.

I have similar issues with my TRX 420. Rock it back and forth and a way it goes. I find it usually happens if I'm parked on a grade.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I've had to rock mine..
a few times. ..& also
the shift between L
...& 2...more when it's cold
....it's a P500 thing..
I just re shift & swear
& roll on my way

Reactions: ehart814
500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I remember my old carb ranchers sometimes wouldn't shift with the choke on. I would push the choke down and shift then pull it back up before it stalled. I think it wouldn't shift because the rpms were too high.

advertisement
webby

webby

Lifetime Member
Nov 25, 2015
Philipsburg, Pa.
Ownership

1. 500
I've had to rock mine..
a few times. ..& also
the shift between L
...& 2...more when it's cold
....it's a P500 thing..
I just re shift & swear
& roll on my way
I've also noticed that sometimes when starting out from L (which I rarely do) and shifting to 2 sometimes I'll need to hit the paddle a couple times before it shifts. I'm to the point now where I don't even give it a second thought. I just figure it's a quirk that the 500 has and I run it.

Talen

Talen

Aug 7, 2015
Central PA
I've also noticed that sometimes when starting out from L (which I rarely do) and shifting to 2 sometimes I'll need to hit the paddle a couple times before it shifts. I'm to the point now where I don't even give it a second thought. I just figure it's a quirk that the 500 has and I run it.
Yep, mine does the same

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!