P500 sorry, another sway bar question!

W

willyqbc

Sep 11, 2017
british columbia
Ownership

1. 500
So I have read all I can find on here about removing the sway bars on my 500, but I'm not clear its the right thing to do for my intended uses so i'm hoping if i describe my uses you good folks can provide me a little better insight pertaining to my particular needs.

primary use is as a hunting rig, a lot of slow speed putting over varied terrain, on and off trail. Often encounter large road de-activations...either deep ditches or tall berms. sometimes animal retrieval requires crossing old logging blocks full of stumps and all manner of debris. currently with my dry box and gear I would say the is probably 100#'s on the back rack and in the future it will be used to pack up to 300#'s of critter at a time over all the above terrain.

currently running 26" rip saws on stock rims, contemplating 1.5" spacers on the rear tires for added stability.

so given all that is removing the sway bars a good idea for my applications?
also, if i do remove them...what would you reccomend the shocks be set to?

Thanks
Chris

chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
My opinion is that its good for everyone's application.....
except possibly giving to kids to go top speed down winding roads?

A lot of my running is stumps and cut overs ,ditches from excavators blocking off roads,and destroying them for a few kilometers to discourage you

if you dont have 50" trails ,then widen it out....
spacers on front and back , or buy offset wheels

taking off the swaybar seems to keep the tires planted rather than clawing the air

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Removing the swaybar allows the wheels to articulate independently. This results in better traction on uneven surfaces like crawling over rocks or deep mud.

The swaybar is there to prevent rollover when cornering. It MIGHT also prevent rollover when traversing the side of a hill.

It's dangerous for anyone to advise you to remove a devise that was installed for your safety. I would feel crappy if I advised you to remove it and then you get hurt.

It's there for a reason. I took mine off and I prefer it that way. I get a smoother ride and it's more sure footed in ruts.

Let us know what you decide.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I took mine off....makes the
ride...loose....hooked back up
....then..got offset tires...& 2"
Spacers. .took it off....love
the ride...& handling..
IMO

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
If it is working fine for you.Just leave it on.
Try it and see what happens.
I recommend experienced SXS riders to do what they want.
But if you have limited experience on these machines leave it on till you are confident enough to try without.
It's a personnel choice.Or riders preference.
I took mine off because all the posts of how great it was on my 700.
It's back on cause I felt little,to no difference without it.

Reactions: chrisC and rocmar
chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
The anti-sway bar ties both sides of the suspension together. It wont let the suspension articulate as freely and wont let the machine lean going around turns as much. There would be no "lean" to warn of impending rollover. It would just lift the wheels and over you go?

Yamaha Rhinos had this problem.....sudden "no warning "rollover. Their solution was a recall for rhinos built to that date and remove the anti - sway bar and install 2" wheel spacers.
It's certainly a decision everyone needs to research for themselves,but I cant recall anyone on the forum hooking it back up after trying it disconnected?

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
If it is working fine for you.Just leave it on.
Try it and see what happens.
I recommend experienced SXS riders to do what they want.
But if you have limited experience on these machines leave it on till you are confident enough to try without.
It's a personnel choice.Or riders preference.
I took mine off because all the posts of how great it was on my 700.
It's back on cause I felt little,to no difference without it.

Well said...
I do..wat works for ME
.....everybody rides to there ability
....everyone rides different terrain

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
The anti-sway bar ties both sides of the suspension together. It wont let the suspension articulate as freely and wont let the machine lean going around turns as much. There would be no "lean" to warn of impending rollover. It would just lift the wheels and over you go?

Yamaha Rhinos had this problem.....sudden "no warning "rollover. Their solution was a recall for rhinos built to that date and remove the anti - sway bar and install 2" wheel spacers.
It's certainly a decision everyone needs to research for themselves,but I cant recall anyone on the forum hooking it back up after trying it disconnected?
Then you missed. ..many of my post
on this....stock..I'd leave on...
I'm 58" wide...& removal at that
Width.....feels right

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I know..my machine
& my driving skills....
I have turned around...
cause felt un sure
...lived to ride another day
...40+ yrs...& still learning
....minute...you get cocky
.....something..gonna hapen

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
thats why i suggested to him to widen it out :)
Then..there's the strain..on wheel bearing
...blah...blah..blah
...I'll replace..them if needed
I like the extra stability. ..traction
...& smoother ride...

chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Then..there's the strain..on wheel bearing
...blah...blah..blah
...I'll replace..them if needed
I like the extra stability. ..traction
...& smoother ride...
A bit OT but has anyone replaced their wheel bearings yet? A lot of us have offset wheels and/or spacers but i cant recall any issues
Like you ,I'll replace them rather than loose the extra stability!

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
A bit OT but has anyone replaced their wheel bearings yet? A lot of us have offset wheels and/or spacers but i cant recall any issues
Like you ,I'll replace them rather than loose the extra stability!
Have not heard...of any bearing replacement on th p5

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
This topic..arises alot..
some do it to...
"Join Rank"....actual
words..quoted
Some to be like mike...
Wat ever you choose...be
Careful...
Good Luck....
Ride Safe

W

willyqbc

Sep 11, 2017
british columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the input folks! definately think it will be a benefit to me getting over the kinds of obstacles i will encounter in a day of hunting. I am not a speed demon by any means and a high speed cornering rollover is not of concern to me at all. My only real concern to doing this is traversing those same obstacles with a bunch of weight on the back end...like half a moose, elk or good sized mule deer. I do plan on widening out at least the back end...have read on here that spacer on the front can have adverse effects on steering and I need really good tight turning manouevering for many situations. Havent decided on what size spacers for the back....how clean does the cab stay with beefy tires punched out an extra two inches?

Think I will go ahead and try removing the sway bars before a weekend hunt for mule deer coming up and see how i like it.

again, thanks for any info!
Chris

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the input folks! definately think it will be a benefit to me getting over the kinds of obstacles i will encounter in a day of hunting. I am not a speed demon by any means and a high speed cornering rollover is not of concern to me at all. My only real concern to doing this is traversing those same obstacles with a bunch of weight on the back end...like half a moose, elk or good sized mule deer. I do plan on widening out at least the back end...have read on here that spacer on the front can have adverse effects on steering and I need really good tight turning manouevering for many situations. Havent decided on what size spacers for the back....how clean does the cab stay with beefy tires punched out an extra two inches?

Think I will go ahead and try removing the sway bars before a weekend hunt for mule deer coming up and see how i like it.

Chris

HaHa...
I call um..."Dognuts"
....you get covered...&
I'm Rollin. ..Maxxis Ceros
if ya had...zillas. or other
you would be a rolling. ...
"Dognut"....haha
you can see. ..the width
20170208 153838

H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500

Chris
Sounds like you and I use the machine for the same purpose and drive about the same. After reading all the forum info, I disconnected my sway bar and added inch and half wheel spacers on the front and back. I can load it in the back of my Dodge 3500 with the 8 foot bed. I'm also running 25" Ripsaw tires. Since I don't drive fast and furious I don't believe I'll have much effect on the wheel bearings. As for the steering, I haven't noticed any adverse effects but if I do, the the next investment will be an EZ Steer addition. I'm still new to this P500 but should have some good input in about 6 weeks after hunting. Guess I'll probably put on about 600 plus miles on during that time over pretty rough terraine.

Reactions: chrisC
W

willyqbc

Sep 11, 2017
british columbia
Ownership

1. 500
HaHa...
I call um..."Dognuts"
....you get covered...&
"Dognut"....haha

Seeing as I have 26" rip saws and am going to widen the machine....sounds like some sort of mud flaps are in order!!! HaHa! certainly don't want to coat my hunting gear, chainsaw etc in "dognuts"!!

Reactions: rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
HaHa...
I call um..."Dognuts"
....you get covered...&
"Dognut"....haha

Seeing as I have 26" rip saws and am going to widen the machine....sounds like some sort of mud flaps are in order!!! HaHa! certainly don't want to coat my hunting gear, chainsaw etc in "dognuts"!!

DP5HUNTER
Just got some. .fender flare extenders
or...something..
pm him
he's got the info

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!