P500 sorry, another sway bar question!

W

willyqbc

Sep 11, 2017
british columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks! I have a few ideas for fabbing some up outta some checkerplate i have lying around!

Chris

W

willyqbc

Sep 11, 2017
british columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Kinda something like this! muffler clamps attach it to the rear rack so I don't have to drill any holes in the plastic. Need more muffler clamps and some more shaping work. plan on trimming it with something like vehicle door trim...the u shaped stuff that should slide over the edge. widens the fender by 3"
VeG6aaE

80sMiPf

Reactions: Chooglin
Livinthelegend

Livinthelegend

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I have 26" Ripsaws. I zip tied up the sway bar 600 miles ago. I haven't had any issues. I did not use spacers, because I want to stay 50". My thought is, if I get in a off camber riding that I feel the bar might help, I can stop and attach it. I ride in all different terrain. I only go through mud if it is in my way on a trail. I prefer to "destination" ride. Rocky is used to work around the house, hunt, fish, pull the trailer with kayak to the river, and trail ride to see what can be seen. I have been up and down mountains,(over 12k elevation) through rocky valleys, hills, trees, snow, etc etc. I normally ride below 20 but on flat areas have hit the rev limiter from time to time. The original zip ties are still on.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
So I have read all I can find on here about removing the sway bars on my 500, but I'm not clear its the right thing to do for my intended uses so i'm hoping if i describe my uses you good folks can provide me a little better insight pertaining to my particular needs.

primary use is as a hunting rig, a lot of slow speed putting over varied terrain, on and off trail. Often encounter large road de-activations...either deep ditches or tall berms. sometimes animal retrieval requires crossing old logging blocks full of stumps and all manner of debris. currently with my dry box and gear I would say the is probably 100#'s on the back rack and in the future it will be used to pack up to 300#'s of critter at a time over all the above terrain.

currently running 26" rip saws on stock rims, contemplating 1.5" spacers on the rear tires for added stability.

so given all that is removing the sway bars a good idea for my applications?
also, if i do remove them...what would you reccomend the shocks be set to?

Thanks
Chris
I leave mind connected only because here in Colorado we ride on so many different types of terrain and there is also traversing hillsides and I just don't want to deal with the body lean you get with it unhooked, tipping over sucks and a lot of mountains we ride you just don't tip over, its called rolling down the mountain side and that my friends will shake up your beer.

Livinthelegend

Livinthelegend

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I leave mind connected only because here in Colorado we ride on so many different types of terrain and there is also traversing hillsides and I just don't want to deal with the body lean you get with it unhooked, tipping over sucks and a lot of mountains we ride you just don't tip over, its called rolling down the mountain side and that my friends will shake up your beer.

I am really bummed we didn't met up when I lived there Alan. The house we rented was in Whitewater. It looks like you ride a lot of the same places I have. The riding in CO is amazing to say the least.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I am really bummed we didn't met up when I lived there Alan. The house we rented was in Whitewater. It looks like you ride a lot of the same places I have. The riding in CO is amazing to say the least.
that is too bad Mr Legend. we probably did ride a lot of the same places and there are so many from day trip to staying several days. Also being so close to Utah is a bonus. Whereabouts did you live in Whitewater?

Livinthelegend

Livinthelegend

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
that is too bad Mr Legend. we probably did ride a lot of the same places and there are so many from day trip to staying several days. Also being so close to Utah is a bonus. Whereabouts did you live in Whitewater?

About 2 miles down Reeder Mesa road on Silverstone Dr. I could drive my P500 right up the road to a good patch of BLM and State land. It would take me 15 mins to get up on the mesa when the back road was open. I hunted out that way as well, but used horses for the National Forest Land. We would also go up on the Uncompahgre a lot as well. It was a 15 drive, unload the machines and go. I enjoy those 50" trails out there with the P5. That is where I did a lot of my sway bar testing. (see how I brought it back to the thread subject).

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
About 2 miles down Reeder Mesa road on Silverstone Dr. I could drive my P500 right up the road to a good patch of BLM and State land. It would take me 15 mins to get up on the mesa when the back road was open. I hunted out that way as well, but used horses for the National Forest Land. We would also go up on the Uncompahgre a lot as well. It was a 15 drive, unload the machines and go. I enjoy those 50" trails out there with the P5. That is where I did a lot of my sway bar testing. (see how I brought it back to the thread subject).
That is very interesting because I went by there Wednesday on my way back to town. I have a good friend that has a ranch up on Purdy Mesa Road and I usually don't back back that way but decided to make the wildlife tour. there are a lot of nice bucks further up.

Reactions: Livinthelegend
Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had an '07 Rhino and part of their recall for them turning over was to disconnect the sway bar.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!