P500 Spacers and Bearings

P

PNWGuy

What about just running a 26x12-12 tire in the rear? I just bought new tires and the rear is going from a 24x10-12 to a 26x12-12. that should be a tire about 2" wider, right? The front is going to a 26x9-12 which should give me another inch in width.

Or is the 1" to 2" moving of the wheels outboard better for stability than just wider tires?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
What about just running a 26x12-12 tire in the rear? I just bought new tires and the rear is going from a 24x10-12 to a 26x12-12. that should be a tire about 2" wider, right? The front is going to a 26x9-12 which should give me another inch in width.

Or is the 1" to 2" moving of the wheels outboard better for stability than just wider tires?

Adding wider tires won't do much for the stability compared to moving the wheels out.

P

pastorbmp

Dec 13, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
I don't know how much wear spacers will cause but there are many on here who are running them. But honestly, whatever premature wear that MIGHT happen is better than rolling it. (From experience).

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I am with you 100% on this. x2 on experience as well! Thumbs up.

Reactions: SpaceTroll
P

PNWGuy

Adding wider tires won't do much for the stability compared to moving the wheels out.

But, you are essentially moving the contact surface out when running a wider tire.... If stock tires are 10" wide, and I go to 12" wide tires, then the contact surface moves outward 1" and inward 1".

The side of the tire has moved outboard 1" whether you put on a 1" spacer or a 2" wider tire.

Reactions: 100Acre
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
But, you are essentially moving the contact surface out when running a wider tire.... If stock tires are 10" wide, and I go to 12" wide tires, then the contact surface moves outward 1" and inward 1".

The side of the tire has moved outboard 1" whether you put on a 1" spacer or a 2" wider tire.

Correct but you've moved the center of the tire not the center of the wheel. I put true 26's on the stock wheels and it was a pucker fest, put 1" spacers on and the problem went away. Try it for yourself, you'll notice the difference. ;)

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
RB3offroad.com has some great sales on Wheel spacers
Ultra light wheel spacers

P

PNWGuy

Correct but you've moved the center of the tire not the center of the wheel. I put true 26's on the stock wheels and it was a pucker fest, put 1" spacers on and the problem went away. Try it for yourself, you'll notice the difference. ;)
I already ordered 1" spacers and they should be in tomorrow, but today when picking up the new machine, the dealer was adamant that spacers are ridiculous and do nothing to add stability.

He said when they add new tires to a P5, they go with 26" and no spacers and they are just fine.

Reactions: 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess it really depends on how you ride. I'm like the Easter Bunny; Flippity-Floppity all the way. That's running 25' Bighorn originals and before I removed the sway bar. I went with shorter tires to reduce tippage but, I'm already top-heavy...Spacers are a serious consideration. Especially if I get 26" tires next time.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
the dealer was adamant that spacers are ridiculous and do nothing to add stability.

I can tell you that I'm certain that he is ignorant to the subject my friend. I've personally ran the gamut, with, without, aftermarket wheels with and without. They absolutely 100% add stability. They wouldn't make them if they didn't. It's also been beat to death on this forum and everyone knows if you take the P5 up you must take it out. As stated, try it for yourself. I wouldn't steer a brother in the wrong direction. ;)

advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
No kidding. This was not posted out of pride but rather a way to keep others from making a similar mistake. Scared the heck out of me...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Just curious Ed, when the insurance company covers that machine what happens to it after that? Do you keep it? In other words, are you allowed to part it out and make some additional money off of it?

Reactions: Mudwing
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Just curious Ed, when the insurance company covers that machine what happens to it after that? Do you keep it? In other words, are you allowed to part it out and make some additional money off of it?

Honestly, I don't know where the machine goes. I asked the adjuster and he said it is auctioned off as a salvage machine. But, here is what my process looked like. I had comprehensive AND collision.
  • Called the insurance company and made a claim. They went through a series of questions to ensure no one else was liable or injured.
  • Determined it was a single vehicle accident and then asked me if I had a preferred shop/dealer that could tear it down and give a repair estimate.
  • Brought it to my preferred shop/dealer and they tore it down and got the adjuster out to look at everything.
  • Both dealer and Adjuster had a similar $ amount for repair and it was way more than what the machine was worth so it was considered totaled.
  • Because I had $3000 accessory coverage, the adjuster said I could pull all of my accessories off and not get the $3000 or leave them on and get a check for $3000. I added up my accessory totals and it came to $3102. I decided to let them take it as I would not get full price if I parted it out.
  • BUT...
  • I had taken my skid plates off and had my 1/2 windscreen and soft roof in my garage prior to taking it to the dealer. I asked the adjuster if I needed to bring that in before they picked up the machine and he said NO... They would probably just throw that stuff in the front seat and it would end up in a pile somewhere.
  • But I had to leave the WE shocks on.
Basically, I got a pay out for all of my accessories and the cost of the machine but got to keep the skids, windshield, and soft roof. (which is why I'm trying to sell them :) )

Now, I did have the option to buy the machine back but the frame was bent enough to where it would have cost me a fortune to repair and was WAY beyond my mechanical skill level to fix myself.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Honestly, I don't know where the machine goes. I asked the adjuster and he said it is auctioned off as a salvage machine. But, here is what my process looked like. I had comprehensive AND collision.
  • Called the insurance company and made a claim. They went through a series of questions to ensure no one else was liable or injured.
  • Determined it was a single vehicle accident and then asked me if I had a preferred shop/dealer that could tear it down and give a repair estimate.
  • Brought it to my preferred shop/dealer and they tore it down and got the adjuster out to look at everything.
  • Both dealer and Adjuster had a similar $ amount for repair and it was way more than what the machine was worth so it was considered totaled.
  • Because I had $3000 accessory coverage, the adjuster said I could pull all of my accessories off and not get the $3000 or leave them on and get a check for $3000. I added up my accessory totals and it came to $3102. I decided to let them take it as I would not get full price if I parted it out.
  • BUT...
  • I had taken my skid plates off and had my 1/2 windscreen and soft roof in my garage prior to taking it to the dealer. I asked the adjuster if I needed to bring that in before they picked up the machine and he said NO... They would probably just throw that stuff in the front seat and it would end up in a pile somewhere.
  • But I had to leave the WE shocks on.
Basically, I got a pay out for all of my accessories and the cost of the machine but got to keep the skids, windshield, and soft roof. (which is why I'm trying to sell them :) )

Now, I did have the option to buy the machine back but the frame was bent enough to where it would have cost me a fortune to repair and was WAY beyond my mechanical skill level to fix myself.

Good sh** Ed! I wondered how they would hash that whole thing out. Thanks for the info. Too bad you couldn't weasel those shocks off without them knowing. ;)

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Good sh** Ed! I wondered how they would hash that whole thing out. Thanks for the info. Too bad you couldn't weasel those shocks off without them knowing. ;)
I thought about it but I didn't want to push it. They already were doing well by me and I'm one of those individuals that Karma punishes immediately. I'm guessing the shocks didn't make it to the salvage yard.

P

PNWGuy

I was an automotive adjuster for USAA Insurance for 6 years based out of Phoenix. I've handled a lot of total loss claims for autos, but never ATVs or motorcycles (we sub-contract those policies to Progressive).

I imagine it's similar. From what Ed posted, it sounds EXACTLY like the auto process.

I do know that in Phoenix, when a vehicle is brought to the salvage yard and has been customized, those parts disappear very quickly.

Reactions: educ8tedguess
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!