Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I thought about it but I didn't want to push it. They already were doing well by me and I'm one of those individuals that Karma punishes immediately. I'm guessing the shocks didn't make it to the salvage yard.
What are you going to replace it with? @kenner has got a loaded out 18 LE P1 for $ 19,000 and thats a good deal

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
What are you going to replace it with? @kenner has got a loaded out 18 LE P1 for $ 19,000 and thats a good deal
It's a really good deal. But... I'm replacing it with a 700-4. I had the 1000-5 deluxe when it first came out. I loved it but it was really more than I needed/wanted. I found that after owning quite a few different types of machines, I enjoy simple. Out of all of the atv's and SxS's I have owned, I have enjoyed and had the most fun on my old Forman, my current Rubicon and my p500. So now it's time to give the 700 a try. It's simple, easy for me to maintain and I can bring both my kids instead of choosing which one is my favorite on that given riding day.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It's a really good deal. But... I'm replacing it with a 700-4. I had the 1000-5 deluxe when it first came out. I loved it but it was really more than I needed/wanted. I found that after owning quite a few different types of machines, I enjoy simple. Out of all of the atv's and SxS's I have owned, I have enjoyed and had the most fun on my old Forman, my current Rubicon and my p500. So now it's time to give the 700 a try. It's simple, easy for me to maintain and I can bring both my kids instead of choosing which one is my favorite on that given riding day.
COOL! Going with the two seat or the four? How did to tear up your P5 so bad, did you roll it?

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
COOL! Going with the two seat or the four? How did to tear up your P5 so bad, did you roll it?
Getting the 4 seater. It was between getting another p500 and widening it or going with the 700-4. I chose the 700-4.

I tipped the p500 over on a trip in the UP of Michigan. I had larger tires but didn't widen the stance with spacers. I took a turn at about 16 mph (GoPro recorded the speedo going into the turn) and hit a rock with the passenger front tire and a rut on the drivers side at pretty much the same time. It tipped to the drivers side but I hit a tree with the ROPS before it landed on it's side. The ROPS took 100% of the impact. If the tree wasn't a factor, the P500 would probably be in my garage. The ROPS did it's job though. Aside from a couple of cuts on my head and a concussion, I was fine. (I was wearing a full face helmet)

Reactions: 100Acre and Mudwing
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Getting the 4 seater. It was between getting another p500 and widening it or going with the 700-4. I chose the 700-4.

I tipped the p500 over on a trip in the UP of Michigan. I had larger tires but didn't widen the stance with spacers. I took a turn at about 16 mph (GoPro recorded the speedo going into the turn) and hit a rock with the passenger front tire and a rut on the drivers side at pretty much the same time. It tipped to the drivers side but I hit a tree with the ROPS before it landed on it's side. The ROPS took 100% of the impact. If the tree wasn't a factor, the P500 would probably be in my garage. The ROPS did it's job though. Aside from a couple of cuts on my head and a concussion, I was fine. (I was wearing a full face helmet)
That's kinda what I thought, wow! Now I'm really thinking about 4 point seat belts and wearing a helmet!

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Are you in education? Your handle.
I am in education... I'm the director of special education at a local high school district. I oversee all programs for students with disabilities.

My handle is somewhat related. My job requires me to have a lot of additional education. But I still guess my way through life; just like every other human.

I work with a lot of people who think their advanced degrees make them better than others or makes them feel as if they have everything all figured out. Educ8tedguess is me staying humble and understanding that my education is a privledge and something I should use to benefit those around me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I am in education... I'm the director of special education at a local high school district. I oversee all programs for students with disabilities.

My handle is somewhat related. My job requires me to have a lot of additional education. But I still guess my way through life; just like every other human.

I work with a lot of people who think their advanced degrees make them better than others or makes them feel as if they have everything all figured out. Educ8tedguess is me staying humble and understanding that my education is a privledge and something I should use to benefit those around me.

Perfect reply! I'm married to a school Murm, head of the english dept. You would think I would talk better! HA!

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Perfect reply! I'm married to a school Murm, head of the english dept. You would think I would talk better! HA!
Nah, talk how you want. It's what's behind the words that count.

advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
And as to the original topic, I did take a picture of where my tires sit in relation to the body, so when the new tires are on, I can see just how much width they added...

View attachment 82152

After you add the spacers I'd make it a point to tell that dealer to stop giving out info he knows nothing about. ;)

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
After you add the spacers I'd make it a point to tell that dealer to stop giving out info he knows nothing about. ;)
Kinda makes me wonder if I need spacers, I went to two inch taller tires, which equals out to one inch taller ride in ride height, haven't had any issues so far, unless you coast off an embankment looking at the moon. DUGHHUHH.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Best advice I could give any new owner of a P5 would be, if you want to maintain 50" then leave it alone. First thing everyone wants to do is add bigger more aggressive tires to get a better ride, better look and more clearance. Once you do that, staying at 50" and the corner slinging thing goes out the window. If not, then you're asking for trouble. Spread the stance and remove the sway bar, it's now even further from being a gazelle but a much more capable billy goat. Anyone who'd debate that has never rode a P5 that's set up properly. FWIW.

C

Chooglin

Best advice I could give any new owner of a P5 would be, if you want to maintain 50" then leave it alone. First thing everyone wants to do is add bigger more aggressive tires to get a better ride, better look and more clearance. Once you do that, staying at 50" and the corner slinging thing goes out the window. If not, then you're asking for trouble. Spread the stance and remove the sway bar, it's now even further from being a gazelle but a much more capable billy goat. Anyone who'd debate that has never rode a P5 that's set up properly. FWIW.
exactamundo

P

pastorbmp

Dec 13, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
Educ8tedguess bought a pioneer 500. Educ8tedguess took a turn at 16 mph with 26 inch tires and no spacers. Don't be like educ8tedguess

View attachment 82138View attachment 82139

WOW! Glad you are ok. I too learned the hard way...though not near as hard as you. I was hunting on public ground - driving in one morning before daylight with my 80 year old hunting partner. We came to a rut in the old logging road - one like I have driven across a hundred times with ATV's and UTV's. I hadn't had the P500 but a couple of weeks. Well...I tried to go across it, and it started tipping. I backed up, reassessed and tried to negotiate it again - started tipping. I backed up, reassessed x2 - started across - and this time, it tipped on over - on the passenger side where my hunting partner was sitting. Thank the Lord he wasn't hurt. I had to pull myself out, and tip the machine right side up. He got out and I managed to get it out of the rut. I could not BELIEVE it tipped - I have NEVER tipped one before having drove in all kinds of terrain. I was very fortunate there was no damage and no one hurt....except to my psyche.

I began my quest to stabilize it after that. It is much more stable after putting wider tires and spacers on - BUT...to this day, I'm still far more nervous negotiate difficult places than I ever have been in the past.

P

PNWGuy

Got the new tires on and they increased the width in the back by 1". Machine is now 51" wide. Went to install the spacers and realized they are not going to work. The factory Honda wheel studs are much bigger and beefier than the ones on the spacers. I could get the spacers on, but they had be pounded on with a rubber mallet, and then my machine would be riding on seriously degraded wheel studs. Just not going to work. I think they were $40 on Amazon and had great reviews. What a joke.

Going to take it for another ride to see how it feels before spending more money on quality spacers. I figured the 26x12-12 tires would add some width and stability.

Before:

OWk7cKL3Xbk1yqlVlHl915HwF1NwUBIWG5 Yw2yALRwpX92IB

After:

IMG 20180728 131102407 HDR

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Got the new tires on and they increased the width in the back by 1". Machine is now 51" wide. Went to install the spacers and realized they are not going to work. The factory Honda wheel studs are much bigger and beefier than the ones on the spacers. I could get the spacers on, but they had be pounded on with a rubber mallet, and then my machine would be riding on seriously degraded wheel studs. Just not going to work. I think they were $40 on Amazon and had great reviews. What a joke.

Going to take it for another ride to see how it feels before spending more money on quality spacers. I figured the 26x12-12 tires would add some width and stability.

Before:

View attachment 82268

After:

View attachment 82269
Get spacers, i went 26" but on 5-2 rims and when riding with my son one wheel went in a rut (full of leaves couldn't see it) and the uphill side hit a rock and over we went in slow motion. Put 1.5" spacers on the back and now i can go down the same trail and no issue, much more stable.

P

PNWGuy

Whatever you do, don't buy the Precision European spacers off of Amazon. Mine arrived and the wheel studs were substantially smaller than the factory ones and were made of a low quality steel. I am certain they would fail with normal use.

I'm currently fighting with them for a refund. They claim since the bolt pattern is the same, they are OK.

Clearly they are inferior...
DHJz5EdSK5GkcGhAVaxEHxdqvU3g5BAzevI3ry7mfJwpX92IB

Reactions: Glazer and 100Acre
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!