SPOT Tracking System

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Back when I was doing some significant long-distance motorcycling (mostly solo) I always had one of these satellite tracking devices with me. I've decided that alone or not it would be a great thing to have while in the woods with my Pioneer. It offers several different modes of communication, one being an SOS that provides your exact location to emergency services. This Gen 3 device looks far superior to the others I have used, especially with the battery life.

Spot Gen 3

SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE

Always the question of where and how to carry the device... (RAM mount is available) if it is attached to your machine and you are not at the machine and need it, it is quite useless! I've also purchased this nifty holder, figuring I can attach it to the machine of to myself quite easily!

Spot Gen 3 Holder

Tracker Packer for Spot Gen3

I ordered the SPOT Gen 3 device from Cabala's for $75 and the holder for $40. Annual basic service is $150. My thought process is that it could save my life or that of others from an extreme perspective. Otherwise, it could be used for friends and family to track your whereabouts or you could notify someone of a problem and your exact location.

I've never used one in an emergency situation, thankful for that fact! However, I look at it like this - I only need it one time for it to be worth its weight in gold! Besides, it is totally portable and can be used for other situations in your life that have nothing to do with being in the woods! No cellular service? No problem if you are in need of immediate assistance or just short message (text or e-mail) communication.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I use one of their trackers on my heavy Eqpt to make sure it does not get "borrowed" - works great and want to say it is $100 a year for the service. Sure can't beat that!

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Back when I was doing some significant long-distance motorcycling (mostly solo) I always had one of these satellite tracking devices with me. I've decided that alone or not it would be a great thing to have while in the woods with my Pioneer. It offers several different modes of communication, one being an SOS that provides your exact location to emergency services. This Gen 3 device looks far superior to the others I have used, especially with the battery life.

View attachment 27306

Always the question of where and how to carry the device... (RAM mount is available) if it is attached to your machine and you are not at the machine and need it, it is quite useless! I've also purchased this nifty holder, figuring I can attach it to the machine of to myself quite easily!

View attachment 27307

I ordered the SPOT Gen 3 device from Cabala's for $75 and the holder for $40. Annual basic service is $150. My thought process is that it could save my life or that of others from an extreme perspective. Otherwise, it could be used for friends and family to track your whereabouts or you could notify someone of a problem and your exact location.

I've never used one in an emergency situation, thankful for that fact! However, I look at it like this - I only need it one time for it to be worth its weight in gold! Besides, it is totally portable and can be used for other situations in your life that have nothing to do with being in the woods! No cellular service? No problem if you are in need of immediate assistance or just short message (text or e-mail) communication.
Thanks for the update @Manwell . It's on my Christmas wish list.

Reactions: sharp and Manwell
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use one of their trackers on my heavy Eqpt to make sure it does not get "borrowed" - works great and want to say it is $100 a year for the service. Sure can't beat that!
I was about to ask if it can be used for theft recovery lol. Got a couple family members with sticky fingers.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 27306

View attachment 27307

I see me getting one of these in the near future. For a forum that is free to use, it sure gets expensive with the ideas and mods you get from the forum. Lol

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I see me getting one of these in the near future. For a forum that is free to use, it sure gets expensive with the ideas and mods you get from the forum. Lol
It's only money my brother, this is why we work!!

Reactions: sharp
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The cool thing about this device is that it can be used for so much more than just on the SXS... It has been a couple of years since I had one, but it will be good to have it again! I caried MedJet insurance for many years as well, something to fly my broken butt to the nearest hospital at home and transport my bike home if I was seriously injured while on a two-wheeled adventure! It was another of those deals, how much would it cost for a love one to travel and spend time in the hospital with my if I was in Canada or Alaska or the like? Never needed it, but it was still money well spent!

Reactions: sharp
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Had the Gen 2 for many years when I was MC riding alone in the mountains of TN and NC. They are worth the money. I opted to wear mine instead of putting on the MC. Getting thrown from the MC was a real possibility and I wanted it where I could push the Oh s*** button and get someone on the way to help me. It also had a couple of different buttons that you could push and it would send a predetermined text message to a predetermined person telling them you were ok and would be home soon. Anyone with a computer could follow you in realtime as long as they had your SPOT address. My Wife could sit down at her computer and see a flashing mark on the map where I was at anytime or watch my progress from point a to point b.

advertisement
Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
Mine is on my belt whenever I am scouting or hunting. Many times I am alone and being able to let the family know that I am ok with the message or sending my location to them is a safety item that I like. The service was $100 but has now jumped to $150. Still not bad for peace of mind.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!