P500 Starter issues

D

Dzanca77

May 12, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
So I bought my first new to me 2015 pioneer 500. Im From New Orleans and have been on street bikes for a good while but decided to get out in the mud...so I
Drove around no problems for a week.
Went for a ride last week and rolled her on her side.. wouldn't start or respond to shifter so I used tool to get in neutral and rolled her on level ground thinking there may be a tip sensor. Started her back up and rode for a few more hours. Got home and (while running) pressure washed her clean. At some point I noticed the starter was stuck engaged. So I turned off the key but it kept running. I ended up disconnecting the battery to stop it. Next day connected battery and got power to dash and lights but wont start. So I Installed a new starter relay but just clicks. Removed starter and connected to battery to see if it would turn over and it spun but spun slowly. Checked to see if I'm getting power to the starter by checking the plug to starter a d get nothing. I thought it might be the four blue relays on top of the fuse box(yes I checked them all) but broke one pulling it out. I ordered 4 more hopefully to be here by Monday. Also Dash flashes the neutral light in a flash -pause flash-pause flash flash flash, repeat (do these things flash codes like that?) Anyway not sure why I'm not getting power to starter. (Checked power to starter before I removed the blue relays)
Any advice on tracing this down would be helpful. I may have missed some details but that's the just of it. Please help? Lol

20200513 104335 20200513 104424 20200513 104531 20200513 104511 20200513 104359

• Wow
Reactions: rtn001
H

HondaTech

Sounds like the starter has come apart internally. I bet if you removed the two case bolts, the magnets have de laminated from the starter housing.

As far as the flashing dash, code 23 is Shift Spindle Operation Malfunction which could be related to the prior shifting issue you had. The shift motor, its reduction gears or the angle sensor itself could be the culprit.

Reactions: trigger and monaco
D

Dzanca77

May 12, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Sounds like the starter has come apart internally. I bet if you removed the two case bolts, the magnets have de laminated from the starter housing.
I'm guessing it isnt supposed to look like this..haha! Any suggestion on starters other than OEM? I'm assuming this was OEM but not sure, still learning as I go. I'd like to avoid another starter change in the future if possible.
Next to trace down the shift error.
Thanks again for the guidance!

20200514 113516

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
My starter went out completely at around 1000 miles. The magnets inside were all shattered.

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
If you are going to work on your sxs I would highly recommend you buy a manual. The members on here are great at helping and I would use them as much as possible. I find I use their information with the manual and it makes life a lot easier for me. I got my last one on the Ebay.
20200518 122533

Reactions: Wallace
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Best deal with Lifetime, price of the manual alone worth it. Easier to wipe greasy fingerprints off a tablet vs a paper page.

Reactions: rtn001 and Mudwing
advertisement
T

Tstover

Dec 15, 2018
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500

Wow, that's bad! Mine started making an odd noise so I opened it up and two of the magnets were "free range" Got a 45 dollar replacement on Ebay(I think that's where I got it), and then noticed I was slowly losing oil after rides. Well turns out my cheapo starter had turned into an "oil bath" starter. Swapped the can from the cheapo over to the OEM starter and good to go.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
what side did you roll it onto? if onto driver side you hydro locked it with oil. Drain air intack and remove spark plug and crank it over to blow oil out of cylinder. My son flopped mine onto drivers side and same thing. the crank case vent is on drivers side and if rolled to that side it fills up intake with oil.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
what side did you roll it onto? if onto driver side you hydro locked it with oil. Drain air intack and remove spark plug and crank it over to blow oil out of cylinder. My son flopped mine onto drivers side and same thing. the crank case vent is on drivers side and if rolled to that side it fills up intake with oil.
intake, not intack

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
Did you go back OEM and have you had any issues since the new install?
I did go OEM, because I was out in Colorado and had only one choice - the dealer in Denver at the time. So far so good, it's been perfect. But the price was pretty high and next time, if there is a next time, I'll go aftermarket.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!