Starter Problems

F

fancymae123

Sep 18, 2013
My big red utv feels like starter is dragging. Is slow turning over when first started. Is anyone else experiencing this problem.

Attachments

• mountains_logo_white.png
    mountains_logo_white.png
    20 KB · Views: 484
  • z4414138mountain-logo.jpg
    z4414138mountain-logo.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,597
BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
After it's started and running awhile, then shut down, does it start better the second time around.
Have you tried giving your battery a strong charge on a charger?

Attachments

• redmtn.png
    redmtn.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 450
F

fancymae123

Sep 18, 2013
I have charged battery, and had it checked. It seems that sometimes it will start easier after it warms up, sometimes not. Don't know what else to do.

W

Wayne51

Dec 3, 2013
We are having the same problem. We tried a stronger charge and a stronger battery but still hard starting Did you find a solution?

F

fancymae123

Sep 18, 2013
No solution as of today.Seems to be harder to start when its really cold. Almost as if starter is dragging. Next service trip , will have it checked. Good luck, Dan

N

Napattacker

Mar 23, 2015
No solution as of today.Seems to be harder to start when its really cold. Almost as if starter is dragging. Next service trip , will have it checked. Good luck, Dan
I have a 2013 BR that has developed a starting problem as well. Battery is fully charged and connections are clean & tight. Relay switch is good. Starter slow to turn like a low battery but starts sometimes anyway, but won't when it's warmed up. Very little use on MUV. Anyone heard of recalls or service bulletins. Any input appreciated before I try to remove starter.

K

kennethd

Nov 22, 2015
I have a 2013 BR that has developed a starting problem as well. Battery is fully charged and connections are clean & tight. Relay switch is good. Starter slow to turn like a low battery but starts sometimes anyway, but won't when it's warmed up. Very little use on MUV. Anyone heard of recalls or service bulletins. Any input appreciated before I try to remove starter.
I have a 2012 BR 700 and recently had the same problem with the hard starting bought a new battery cleaned all connections i pulled the starter sent in in for repair only to find out it was totally shot and could not be rebuilt,i bought a new starter now it wont ingage at all any ideas?

T

turbodog

We have (2) 2009 units. Both had bad starters from the factory. Take a jumper cable the send battery positive to the terminal on the starter. If it spins over, then it's good. Your problem will lie in the solenoid/etc.

If it WON'T spin over. remove the starter and see if it spins by hand (not seized). then try jumper cables on it directly to positive terminal and starter frame. If it still won't spin, it's bad.

Reactions: bobbyhill
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
@turbodog Welcome to the club!!

T

turbodog

We have (2) 2009 units. Both had bad starters from the factory. Take a jumper cable the send battery positive to the terminal on the starter. If it spins over, then it's good. Your problem will lie in the solenoid/etc.

If it WON'T spin over. remove the starter and see if it spins by hand (not seized). then try jumper cables on it directly to positive terminal and starter frame. If it still won't spin, it's bad.

Commenting on my original post in this thread...

Both starters were trashed internally. Magnets broken into pieces and unglued from can... They turn over, very slow, even with a HOT battery and jumper cables.

New starter is a redesign that's better than the original was when new.

Reactions: Rapo1
HarrisQ

HarrisQ

May 2, 2016
Salisbury, MD
Same here. Our starter was slow cranking (
) for months then two weeks ago it wouldn't crank at all. So, we just replaced our starter this past weekend. It is not a fun job because there is not much room to work. Now it starts fast. I haven't taken apart the old starter yet but I'm sure it's trashed.

R

roamineye

Jan 8, 2019
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Big Red
Hi, I'm a new member here and signed up because our 2012 Big Red is having starter problems. This thread was at the top of the list when I signed in for the first time! What a coincidence. Anyway, our machine is having problems exactly like those being described here. I've checked batteries, wiring, etc., and all is good. My next action is to pull the starter. I'm capable of doing it myself, but I'm not sure where to start. Does it come out from the top, from the bottom, or through one of the wheel wells? Is there a thread here or in another forum that describes how to do it? I'd appreciate any help to make the job quicker/easier. That starter looks to be buried pretty deep in there.

R

Rapo1

Aug 12, 2020
Texas
Ownership

1. Big Red
Had to replace my 2012 starter last year,it was in pieces,don’t know how it was cranking at all,would not start after it was hot