Steering knocked out after roll

T

Tesla619

Feb 4, 2021
West coast
Ownership

1. Talon R
Rolled the Talon 2019 1000R on sand going uphill. Rolled it clean with no major damage only thing I notice now when I drive straight now or let go of the steering in straight the Talon goes left.

visual inspection I notice one wheel is straight and the other towed in. The steering wheel is off.

I checked for bent rods, tweaked suspension and nothing, all factory marks are there everything is straight.

I did notice on the tie rod threads Honda recommends 6mm of thread, only the passenger side has that all others don’t, I doubt I smacked it that hard for the threads to jump.

9CC11D75 C45D 4A6A BE5F 3C646A2A9B56 CC5EE5BD 5EE3 4304 B1CC 16A1380E7CA8 3F12B69B 4000 490A AA25 63740DABD864

Reactions: TxDoc and TripleB
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Look closer, tie rod threads of that diameter don't "jump" unless they are loose. You either bent the frame, a control arm or the steering knuckle. It may not be noticeable to the eye. The best way is to get it on an alignment rack but if you don't have access to an alignment rack, here are some helping hints that may reveal what is bent...

• Make sure you are on level ground and settle the suspension.
  • Put the steering wheel straight and see which side is toed in. This usually indicates which side is effected so focus on that side of the vehicle.
  • Compare camber on both sides, they should be near the same.
  • Measure the distance from the outer tie rod end to the inner tire. If they are different, you may have bent the knuckle.
  • Measure the lower ball joints to centerline and compare measurements from one side to the other (or to another Talon).
  • Measure from the lower ball joints back to a cross member (or even to the front mount point of the rear trailing arm) and compare from one side to the other. This is the most common (and hidden) problem. It will throw off the caster and toe at the same time and can cause a pretty hard pull.
  • It is pretty hard to check the upper arm geometry without a rack but you can try with similar measurements used on the lower.

T

Tesla619

Feb 4, 2021
West coast
Ownership

1. Talon R
A
Look closer, tie rod threads of that diameter don't "jump" unless they are loose. You either bent the frame, a control arm or the steering knuckle. It may not be noticeable to the eye. The best way is to get it on an alignment rack but if you don't have access to an alignment rack, here are some helping hints that may reveal what is bent...

• Make sure you are on level ground and settle the suspension.
  • Put the steering wheel straight and see which side is toed in. This usually indicates which side is effected so focus on that side of the vehicle.
  • Compare camber on both sides, they should be near the same.
  • Measure the distance from the outer tie rod end to the inner tire. If they are different, you may have bent the knuckle.
  • Measure the lower ball joints to centerline and compare measurements from one side to the other (or to another Talon).
  • Measure from the lower ball joints back to a cross member (or even to the front mount point of the rear trailing arm) and compare from one side to the other. This is the most common (and hidden) problem. It will throw off the caster and toe at the same time and can cause a pretty hard pull.
  • It is pretty hard to check the upper arm geometry without a rack but you can try with similar measurements used on the lower.
Thanks for the detail information. I’ll these and get back.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All hondas are set with rf toed out. so the difference in threads are just the toe out, the accident didn't do that something is bent

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Rolled the Talon 2019 1000R on sand going uphill. Rolled it clean with no major damage only thing I notice now when I drive straight now or let go of the steering in straight the Talon goes left.

visual inspection I notice one wheel is straight and the other towed in. The steering wheel is off.

I checked for bent rods, tweaked suspension and nothing, all factory marks are there everything is straight.

I did notice on the tie rod threads Honda recommends 6mm of thread, only the passenger side has that all others don’t, I doubt I smacked it that hard for the threads to jump.

View attachment 252718 View attachment 252720 View attachment 252721
Don't look at the threads, look at the tie rod, it's bent, $ 25.00 and your in business , I know this from experience! HA!

Reactions: Udaman and Isaiah

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!