P500 Steering stops

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
No but why would you be worried? Are you worried about getting stuff in a bind from a rock or trail? I'm not putting down your question I really want to know what your thoughts are and why or what would it do or fix or keep from breaking stuff thanks

Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I’m running bigger, heavier tires and just before the steering is at full lock it feels like it just flops and will get stuck. I have to back up a little to get it unstuck. I think the stops might prevent that.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I’m running bigger, heavier tires and just before the steering is at full lock it feels like it just flops and will get stuck. I have to back up a little to get it unstuck. I think the stops might prevent that.
Those tires are just too big without arched A arms or something. You're rubbing already and that's not at full suspension compression. Given the right situation you might not be able to move at all.

Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Those tires are just too big without arched A arms or something. You're rubbing already and that's not at full suspension compression. Given the right situation you might not be able to move at all.
I made new mounting tabs to move the arms forward but I was hoping to try this before I started welding on the frame. I guess I’ll have to just move them.

Reactions: trigger
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Curious as to what size tires you have. 27s here and no rub. Many have cut tip of the frame for 28s.

Reactions: trigger
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Bringing this back. Thinking about adding some steering stops to mine if I can't figure out why mine is binding when I tear it all apart this winter. Got in a crap situation this past weekend; Going down a steep and rocky hill, trying to avoid falling into a deep rut, kept sliding sideways and eventually into a rock with my steering turned Driver. Steering was locked up tight to Driver, couldn't back up due to steepness of hill. Couldn't turn Passenger to get off the rock. Had to be winched backwards a bit to take the bind off the steering before it would finally release. Super annoying. Not to mention my fear of breaking my steering in some way out in No Man's Land.

@Hondasxs and I legitimately thought it was broken due to how far the driver-side tire was turned (probably ~80*).

Reactions: futzin
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Bringing this back. Thinking about adding some steering stops to mine if I can't figure out why mine is binding when I tear it all apart this winter. Got in a crap situation this past weekend; Going down a steep and rocky hill, trying to avoid falling into a deep rut, kept sliding sideways and eventually into a rock with my steering turned Driver. Steering was locked up tight to Driver, couldn't back up due to steepness of hill. Couldn't turn Passenger to get off the rock. Had to be winched backwards a bit to take the bind off the steering before it would finally release. Super annoying. Not to mention my fear of breaking my steering in some way out in No Man's Land.

@Hondasxs and I legitimately thought it was broken due to how far the driver-side tire was turned (probably ~80*).

This sounds a bit familiar . . .

Reactions: The Green Goat
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Reactions: futzin
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
So, what components do steering stops protect?

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
So, what components do steering stops protect?
My guess is to take the load off the rack when pinned hard to one side. Essentially, the stop takes the brunt of the impact instead of the teeth inside the rack.

Reactions: ODAMO
Test - Grid

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!