P500 Steering wheel off

RoadGator916

RoadGator916

Jan 23, 2019
MinneSNOWta
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I remember seeing a post on this in the past but I could not locate it so any help would be appreciated. I hit a rock with my front right tire and I think there is a small bend in the bracket on the wheel (where the steering rod connects behind the front wheel). Please excuse my lack of knowledge on the actual names of the parts. After it occurred the left tire appears to have a slight turn more then the right and the steering wheel is no longer straight. Is this something I should address immediately or can it wait? Also, if I don't replace or the bracket behind the wheel, how do I get the steering wheel back to straight? Or is this an alignment issue, like it would be in a car?

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: Isaiah
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
If you bent the tie rod you should replace it. You can straighten the wheels out and drive it that way but it may handle funny and not want to hold alignment. Pull the machine forward so the front tires are sitting on something slippery, grass, gravel or sand, just so the front tires will move without binding too bad. Turn your steering wheel until it's straight and then look at the wheel alignment. Loosen the jam nut on the tie rod and make your adjustment, same for the other side ensuring that the steering wheel stays straight. You can use measurements, string, straight edges...however you choose just make sure you are dead straight or slightly toed in, then cinch up the jam nuts.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I will use a couple straight edges (2x4's) attached to the front tires with bungy cords or ratchet straps, then you can measure in front & behind the tires with a tape and set the front side about an eighth inch less than the rear. This will make it go nice & straight. Too much toe in and it will plow, too much toe out and it will be twitchy.

RoadGator916

RoadGator916

Jan 23, 2019
MinneSNOWta
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Thanks Fellas. I have not got around to looking at it yet but will soon!!

Reactions: trigger
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
I remember seeing a post on this in the past but I could not locate it so any help would be appreciated. I hit a rock with my front right tire and I think there is a small bend in the bracket on the wheel (where the steering rod connects behind the front wheel). Please excuse my lack of knowledge on the actual names of the parts. After it occurred the left tire appears to have a slight turn more then the right and the steering wheel is no longer straight. Is this something I should address immediately or can it wait? Also, if I don't replace or the bracket behind the wheel, how do I get the steering wheel back to straight? Or is this an alignment issue, like it would be in a car?

Thanks for your help!
Check all the front control arm mounts, but the top rear mounts in particular. They may be bent, or starting to tear away from the frame, as they are poorly secured or supported in that area. The fact that your steering wheel is no longer centered says there is something definitely bent. I ignored mine until it broke, and fortunately I was very close to my truck and trailer, cuz I had to drive backwards out of the woods, stopping to kick the driver-side wheel straight every 10ft or so
Here's what I did to reinforce mine:

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!