HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
West Virginia.

There was no requirement to change my WV title.

I added the lights and equipment to meet WV's requirements to be street legal, had it inspected, and submitted the completed registration application with a copy of my insurance and the inspection receipt.

WV law enforcement is generally easy-going. They ignore ATV/UTVs on the roads even if not registered and plated.

Last edited:
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm surprised
I try to backroad when I drive it to work. Stay off the main drags. Haven't really given them any reason to pull me over.
I do keep the inspection in the machine with me. I am waiting to get pulled over for not having any tag lights. According to the inspection form, they are not a requirement.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I try to backroad when I drive it to work. Stay off the main drags. Haven't really given them any reason to pull me over.
I do keep the inspection in the machine with me. I am waiting to get pulled over for not having any tag lights. According to the inspection form, they are not a requirement.
morning Beast. everything I will ride is back roads around the neighborhood as well. never thought about that but you are right it doesn't say it has to be lighted. only place I will probably go is grocery store and gas station

Reactions: Lady01
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
morning Beast. everything I will ride is back roads around the neighborhood as well. never thought about that but you are right it doesn't say it has to be lighted. only place I will probably go is grocery store and gas station
I have driven mine to work for s***s and giggles in the past. There is one section where I have to drive on US20 to leave my township. Once I can get on the side streets, I get on them. In the early morning traffic is fine, very light. On the way home is a different story. So I definitely stay on the side streets to avoid being hit. With a sxs in traffic, no one is accustomed to seeing them. So I worry some gawker will hit me not paying attention.

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wisconsin - Register UTV with Department of Natural Resources. They send registrations stickers to put on front, both sides, in front of driver, easy to see. Then you must get your own plate and put on the same registration number to put on back. We don't change anything else, just ride on approved roads/streets designated as trail routes. Pretty easy here. We don't HAVE to add blinkers, horn, license plate light but most just do. Any tires you have are okay. Passengers under 18 must wear helmet, young drivers have to pass required online safety course.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have driven mine to work for s***s and giggles in the past. There is one section where I have to drive on US20 to leave my township. Once I can get on the side streets, I get on them. In the early morning traffic is fine, very light. On the way home is a different story. So I definitely stay on the side streets to avoid being hit. With a sxs in traffic, no one is accustomed to seeing them. So I worry some gawker will hit me not paying attention.
good idea, since I top out at around 40 I don't have to worry about faster roads I think that's the main reason for keeping them off the highway

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2

I added the lights and equipment to meet WV's requirements to be street legal, had it inspected, and submitted the completed registration application with a copy of my insurance and the inspection receipt.
I think they are a little more UTV friendly than Ohio is. they realize there is money to be made from the riders.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Wisconsin - Register UTV with Department of Natural Resources. They send registrations stickers to put on front, both sides, in front of driver, easy to see. Then you must get your own plate and put on the same registration number to put on back. We don't change anything else, just ride on approved roads/streets designated as trail routes. Pretty easy here. We don't HAVE to add blinkers, horn, license plate light but most just do. Any tires you have are okay. Passengers under 18 must wear helmet, young drivers have to pass required online safety course.
some states are a lot easier than others. up until a few years ago it was almost impossible here

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
some states are a lot easier than others. up until a few years ago it was almost impossible here
Dam right! ole Strechen Gretchen here has made it a complete whore (like herself 🤣) to register one. By the time u follow the guidelines youve got over 5k into it Not including the plate and change of title. All while the state allows you to buy your “one time purchase” trailer plate that people “illegally“ move them from trailer to trailer all the time, yet to register a UTV takes dam near an act of god lol. Ill just stick to riding the shoulders in my co that were allowed to do So In If i need to use the road.

advertisement
Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Dam right! ole Strechen Gretchen here has made it a complete whore (like herself 🤣) to register one. By the time u follow the guidelines youve got over 5k into it Not including the plate and change of title. All while the state allows you to buy your “one time purchase” trailer plate that people “illegally“ move them from trailer to trailer all the time, yet to register a UTV takes dam near an act of god lol. Ill just stick to riding the shoulders in my co that were allowed to do So In If i need to use the road.
it's a shame what some of the govt does because there is a lot of money that could go to the community from riders by providing places to ride. especially when they have the land to do so

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for the info this is what i was looking for.I know it must be different in other places because they require dot tires.Never thought about e ck.I live in summit co.
your most welcome, long as you don't try to title it as a car of some sort you should be good. soon as I get that wire harness I will find out for myself. they need to due away with E check or do it everywhere it's a waste of time. you are not far from me I live close to the new Amazon where rolling acres used to be. as far as getting the form signed I called Summit county sheriff on route 619 and she said they had the forms there just come out let them know your here and they will do inspection no appointment needed.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
it's a shame what some of the govt does because there is a lot of money that could go to the community from riders by providing places to ride. especially when they have the land to do so
You would think so. It use to be easy to make your UTV street legal about 10 yrs ago. Then they became more and more popular and someone that thinks they know more than we do lol

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3

I am in the process of trying to get the laws changed here in Florida. Could you share the WV requirements with me? Or direct me to a website where I can get them? Thanks!

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I am in the process of trying to get the laws changed here in Florida. Could you share the WV requirements with me? Or direct me to a website where I can get them? Thanks!
Heres a link to ours so u know what to avoid so it dosnt cost u an arm and a leg To do it.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I just noticed your message. Some time was required to find the WV legislation that authorized register and operate UTVs on public roadways. I copied and pasted the entire text and sent it to you in a lpm.

Here's the shortcut version for a Pioneer:

Install a kit or wire your buggy to provide a horn, turn signals, and emergency flashers.

Install three rear-view mirrors - inside plus left and right side outside mirrors.

Install a windshield or wear eye protection.

I think a license plate lamp is required. I have one.

Obtain and produce evidence of a liability insurance policy.

Vehicle and equipment must be inspected by an authorized state vehicle inspection station.

Submit vehicle registration request form to DMV.

(WV certificate of title is required and sales tax must be paid)

My buggy has been registered and operated in WV for more than one year. Registration was recently renewed.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!