Multi Stinger vs. True isolators?

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
So ive gotten more interested in doing a secondary battery after going to start my machine and having no juice :(. Ive looked around for just small gel cell battery and can get them for fairly cheap <40$. after looking at isolators it brings me to my question. What is the difference between the True Isolator and the Stinger?
Stinger...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HC6UJ0?tag=sxsweb24-20

TrueAM...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W4QO5F4/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I see that the stinger is limited to 80amps, which i am well under for my acc load. The True doesnt specify. Is the True worth the 40$ difference?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So ive gotten more interested in doing a secondary battery after going to start my machine and having no juice :(. Ive looked around for just small gel cell battery and can get them for fairly cheap <40$. after looking at isolators it brings me to my question. What is the difference between the True Isolator and the Stinger?
Stinger...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HC6UJ0?tag=sxsweb24-20

TrueAM...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W4QO5F4/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I see that the stinger is limited to 80amps, which i am well under for my acc load. The True doesnt specify. Is the True worth the 40$ difference?
The stinger style takes more juice to stay connected for one. They also have a poor life. The worst part though is they connect the battery immediately on key so if you’re accessory battery is low it immediately shares the juice from start battery. Same while running if you use too much juice it’ll pull both batteries down at once. I look at the smart iso as it’s own unit that only takes “extra” voltage the main battery doesn’t need because it’s full charged as it’s based off of voltage of the start batt first. The Stinger will take juice away anytime the key or switch is on.
Totally worth the extra cash, especially dealing with smaller batteries

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The stinger style takes more juice to stay connected for one. They also have a poor life. The worst part though is they connect the battery immediately on key so if you’re accessory battery is low it immediately shares the juice from start battery. Same while running if you use too much juice it’ll pull both batteries down at once. I look at the smart iso as it’s own unit that only takes “extra” voltage the main battery doesn’t need because it’s full charged as it’s based off of voltage of the start batt first. The Stinger will take juice away anytime the key or switch is on.
Totally worth the extra cash, especially dealing with smaller batteries
Couldn't have put it any better .I put stinger after second battery on 2nd added fuse box on the acc. I didn't want on unless the key was on and put the true isolater in between the two batteries . 18c3718b8c9ae26ebca6497997bc5c52

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Cd4b670756e8d92413234b7c42f95733

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Reactions: Bad_bowtie and BWAF
J

JTW

I have both on mine.. the stinger acts as the master switch between my accessory battery and fuse panel. The true is right off the stock battery. And basically acts as a maintainer on the second battery when the machine is running. They’ve both been on 2 years and are doing fine.

F67A2D92 E430 4863 856C 77EFE537622A

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m only running the stinger and have been for 2+ years. My voltages definitely do some strange things but it’s always worked. I do keep a tender on it when not used much or the batteries get low from extended use with a lot of accessories on (radio, lights, winch, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have both on mine.. the stinger acts as the master switch between my accessory battery and fuse panel. The true is right off the stock battery. And basically acts as a maintainer on the second battery when the machine is running. They’ve both been on 2 years and are doing fine.

View attachment 83783
Very clean layout

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

View attachment 83783
Similar to mine...
IMG 3815

BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey

Mar 29, 2017
Mid TN
I’m only running the stinger and have been for 2+ years. My voltages definitely do some strange things but it’s always worked. I do keep a tender on it when not used much or the batteries get low from extended use with a lot of accessories on (radio, lights, winch, etc)

What kind of funny things?

Reactions: BWAF
Gumby

Gumby

Mar 9, 2018
Freedom, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Landman,

What is the thick black wire on the right side with the blue tape on it? It almost feels like a battery terminal connector but I haven't taken the tape off. I have the same thing on my new 18 and have no idea why it's there.

Reactions: Landman
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I only use the isolator, my accessory fuse block is always hot/on. I did this so I could run any accessory with the key off. Of I were to leave something on the isolator will open the connection between the batteries and just run down the 2nd battery. The main/starting battery would always be protected from draining if something was accidentally left on.

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Landman,

What is the thick black wire on the right side with the blue tape on it? It almost feels like a battery terminal connector but I haven't taken the tape off. I have the same thing on my new 18 and have no idea why it's there.
What Mr. @Tramguage1 said, factory ground for the winch.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What kind of funny things?

When you use the winch for instance both batteries drop drastically. Even though the winch is isolated. They seem way more connected than I originally thought.

Reactions: BWAF
RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I used a moose isolator kit...

Moose Utilities Battery Isolator Kit | UTV Action Magazine

Good for 140 amps, not that my system will see that between the batteries, but the higher current capabilities are an extra measure of safety.

I think these units are a generic brand as I have seen them rebranded under several names.

These units call for circuit protection on both sides of the isolator. I used 80 amp circuit breakers.

FredD

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!