JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Hey Guys,
Did a search but nothing came up.... What are you guys using for air filters? Just cleaning mine now, Dawn soap, hand wash, air dry, re-oil with? Was thinking the Honda semi-synthetic 10w-40 engine oil? Or should I get K&N air filter oil. Or other aftermarket filter altogether? While I wait for current filter to Sun dry gonna install nuther stock one less there are better options.

Plan is to install fuel controller and exhaust at some point....
Your comments, suggestions appreciated,

Thnx
jrc

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Hey Guys,
Did a search but nothing came up.... What are you guys using for air filters? Just cleaning mine now, Dawn soap, hand wash, air dry, re-oil with? Was thinking the Honda semi-synthetic 10w-40 engine oil? Or should I get K&N air filter oil. Or other aftermarket filter altogether? While I wait for current filter to Sun dry gonna install nuther stock one less there are better options.

Plan is to install fuel controller and exhaust at some point....
Your comments, suggestions appreciated,

Thnx
jrc

First of all, DO NOT use engine oil on your filter. Air filter oil is way different. Very sticky/tacky. Buy any kind of foam filter oil. I have been using the UNI spray, but any of them are fine if they are specifically for foam air filters. Whichever filter oil you use, fully coat the filter inside and out and work the oil into the foam. Do that in a large plastic bag to keep the mess to a minimum.

Kerosene will work great to clean foam filters. Clean it out good, soak up as much kerosene from the filter as you can with towels. I assume the dawn will work okay, but it won't cut that filter oil as well as kerosene. Though there are many products out there that will also work. Let it dry out good before oiling it.

You have lots of options for air filters. The P500 uses the same filter as many other Hondas, including the 400EX and TRX700XX. I didn't realize that until after I purchased an extra OEM filter for mine. I keep the spare clean and oiled in a plastic bag on the work bench so I can just swap out and go. An OEM filter is about $15 at Rocky Mountain.

UNI, Twin Air, No Toil, and others all make a filter that will fit. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a UNI. I do not trust K&N for off road applications. No matter what you hear, they just don't catch as much dirt as a properly oiled foam filter.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
The Dawn dish soap worked well, looks nearly new (after a scrub) mind you it was just a fine thin albeit solid coat of oil soaked (dust turned) mud about 1.5mm thick.

Gotcha on the oil I'll track down some foam filter spray. Stock filters here are $24.00 so pretty inexpensive really...

Thanks,

jrc

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!