Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My family moved recently and I had every intention of doing a detached garage. However due to neighborhood covenants for setback from property lines, im not going to be able to do one.

So now im looking at doing a shed, but behind the house. It will be for ATV's, mowers, etc... My last house i had a 12x20 and it was too small. Im thinking 24x24 this time, and being that i wont have anything as heavy as a car i wont need a concrete floor.

Is anyone doing anything similar? would love to see ideas.

Reactions: BWAF
J

JTW

My family moved recently and I had every intention of doing a detached garage. However due to neighborhood covenants for setback from property lines, im not going to be able to do one.

So now im looking at doing a shed, but behind the house. It will be for ATV's, mowers, etc... My last house i had a 12x20 and it was too small. Im thinking 24x24 this time, and being that i wont have anything as heavy as a car i wont need a concrete floor.

Do the concrete floor and be done with it..

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Cool, good luck with that project!!

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Do the concrete floor and be done with it..
Id love to, but the extra $2000 ish for a concrete slap.. not sure if its worth it for what im using it for... I havent counted it out, just trying to be borderline reasonable and frugal if possible.

Reactions: Plumber32 and BWAF
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Id love to, but the extra $2000 ish for a concrete slap.. not sure if its worth it for what im using it for... I havent counted it out, just trying to be borderline reasonable and frugal if possible.
If you can afford it, it’s definitely a worthy expense, that’s less expensive at the time than as an after thought. And a huge plus if resale is a factor at all. My 2 Centavos.

J

JTW

If you can afford it, it’s definitely a worthy expense, that’s less expensive at the time than as an after thought. And a huge plus if resale is a factor at all. My 2 Centavos.
Exactly.. if you don’t do it now you never will. It will make your building worth more and you’ll actually get to enjoy a floor vs gravel. I’ve rolled around on both working and looking for nuts and bolts that have fallen. Spend the money!!

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Mine has been stored in a 12X16 wooden floor shed since new. No problems other than I should have went bigger. Mostly just store it there. Do most of the work on it in the garage.

IMG 1395

IMG 1454

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Have you tried a variance on the covenent set back limit? Tell them a finished garage adds more neighborhood value than a shed.

Reactions: BWAF and JTW
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Depending on your location you'll get taxed if the shed has a concrete floor as the shed is considered a permanent building then. Here in communist Illinois I boxed in the floor area with treated 4x6's, filled the box with gravel, leveled it and covered with (at the time) cheap 18" square patio blocks. Then put the tin shed up over it. Floor has held up great now for over 20 years.

Reactions: BearWoods and BWAF
J

JTW

Depending on your location you'll get taxed if the shed has a concrete floor as the shed is considered a permanent building then. Here in communist Illinois I boxed in the floor area with treated 4x6's, filled the box with gravel, leveled it and covered with (at the time) cheap 18" square patio blocks. Then put the tin shed up over it. Floor has held up great now for over 20 years.
I’d f***ing move! No way I’d deal with that stupid s***!!

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
4 more years to retire. Our new communist governor pretty much insures we’re looking.
You should try living in Russia/China for a few years. :D:D

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
^^^^^^^^^^^^what he said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reactions: JTW
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!