STU paddle tires

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Has anyone tried the Sand Tires Unlimited comp cut 31” blackbirds w/ #3 paddles on a turbo’d car? I have #2’s and want more bite.

Reactions: TxDoc
Barracuda

Barracuda

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2021
Washington state
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV

2. w/Turbo
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have GMZ Sand Strippers on my Turbo Talon and I have been very happy with the performance of the tires in the sand. I have never had any issues with them. I typically want just a little a slip in the sand and these give me the balance I want.

View attachment 446623

GMZ Sand Stripper TT Front Tire 30x13-15 (Ribbed) - Front 30x13-15 (Ribbed)

View attachment 446624

GMZ Sand Stripper Rear Tire 30x15-15 (10 Paddle) - Rear 30x15-15 (10 Paddle)
Thanks, but there’s no comparison between those and the STU’s

ScottJ24

ScottJ24

Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2020
Cresson, TX
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
STU tires are the best out there. They are difficult to get sometimes but always worth the wait. I have used them since the mid 70s. Ya I know I'm an old fart.

Reactions: KenThompson
Barracuda

Barracuda

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2021
Washington state
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV

2. w/Turbo
Thanks, but there’s no comparison between those and the STU’s
What makes them so good? I have found that the number of paddles, the paddle configuration (angle vs straight) and maybe weight, drive the majority of the performance of paddle tires. I look at these tires the same as I do car or truck tires - it's all about what you want out of the tires and what you're willing to pay for.
What makes these tire worth twice (or more) than the GMZ's ? I am not knocking your choice, quality has a price, but I would need you to sell me on what you're saying. Maybe I'll go that route next time...

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
What makes them so good? I have found that the number of paddles, the paddle configuration (angle vs straight) and maybe weight, drive the majority of the performance of paddle tires. I look at these tires the same as I do car or truck tires - it's all about what you want out of the tires and what you're willing to pay for.
What makes these tire worth twice (or more) than the GMZ's ? I am not knocking your choice, quality has a price, but I would need you to sell me on what you're saying. Maybe I'll go that route next time...
I guess you just have to try them. I had the same thoughts as you, until I spent the money for a set. They have so many different choices depending on your HP and what you want them to do. We use to use skat trak paddles on our 3 wheelers, exclusively. Now with the UTV’s,personally I think the buffed tire is too thin and prone to a puncture. If you comp cut an STU tire, it’s still a 4 ply tire, not a 2 ply like the skat trak’s. The weight reduction is huge on being able to spin them. Yes, they are still a molded paddle like your Chinese GMZ’s and such, but they don’t act the same. Since they are lighter, you can run a bigger paddle. In essence, more traction with the same HP.

ScottJ24

ScottJ24

Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2020
Cresson, TX
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What makes them so good is the many many years that they have been building sand tires. From when Dave Beckett founded the company back in the 1960's. Its the sidewall construction durability and flexability to the paddle designs and thickness. On top of that Fullerton Sand tires (the largest retailer of the tires) and how they cut the paddles, stagger cut, comp cut ect. Many companies have tried to develop sand tires but have given up because they didn't/couldn't come up the the performance and durability of STU. Xtreame and Dick Cepec are 2 of the bigest names that have failed. Sand Tires of America still builds tires but they are only I believe, for sand rails. Just make sure that when you buy the STU's you have someone that can tune the paddles to your specific car.

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
What makes them so good is the many many years that they have been building sand tires. From when Dave Beckett founded the company back in the 1960's. Its the sidewall construction durability and flexability to the paddle designs and thickness. On top of that Fullerton Sand tires (the largest retailer of the tires) and how they cut the paddles, stagger cut, comp cut ect. Many companies have tried to develop sand tires but have given up because they didn't/couldn't come up the the performance and durability of STU. Xtreame and Dick Cepec are 2 of the bigest names that have failed. Sand Tires of America still builds tires but they are only I believe, for sand rails. Just make sure that when you buy the STU's you have someone that can tune the paddles to your specific car.
Yup! If you are in the NW, Kris at Oregon Motorsports2000.com is the best place to get all of the STU’s play cut, comp cut, and everything in between

Reactions: ScottJ24

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!