P1000 Stuck in First Gear: Flashing 1

C

crreed

Apr 4, 2019
wv
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My 2016 Pioneer 1000-3 with 392 miles just all of a sudden dropped into 1st gear and won't shift. Was going up a hill in regular 2wd and at the top it dropped into 1st and won't come out. I checked all the things the other posts said such as fuses, grounds, cables etc. and all are good. The display shows a Gear "1" blinking 5 times slow and 2 times fast. It does this in all selections P,R,N,H,L . Any help on what I should check before I drag it an hour and a half to the dealer? I can't figure out how to post a vid I made but I think I got a picture posted of the display.

20190404 192230

Reactions: Lady01 and Isaiah
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Neutral switch problem, either stuck on or off.
Could be wiring, bad neutral switch, or ECM.
Inspect wiring for being chewed by rodents.
If found, fix and drive again.
If no wiring eaten, consider whether to replace Neutral switch of ECM.
There is a process to determine which has failed.

C

crreed

Apr 4, 2019
wv
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Neutral switch problem, either stuck on or off.
Could be wiring, bad neutral switch, or ECM.
Inspect wiring for being chewed by rodents.
If found, fix and drive again.
If no wiring eaten, consider whether to replace Neutral switch of ECM.
There is a process to determine which has failed.

Wiring is good. I believe I can replace the neutral switch (Honda OEM Part 35600-HL4-305)? for about $20.00 pretty easy as you well know but I don't know what ECM is. Which do you think would be more likely the problem? And what is ECM? I have the service manual but can't seem to find ECM in it anywhere.

Reactions: Lady01
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ECM/PCM/BCM all automotive terms.
If you go into the DCT section of the manual, it will spell out how to test all the wiring to determine whether the switch or computer is bad.
$20 is pretty easy to shotgun at the machine. That is less than your time or fuel to haul to the dealer. You said 2016, so chances are out of warranty.

Reactions: Lady01 and Lonzo24
C

crreed

Apr 4, 2019
wv
Ownership

1. 1000-3
ECM=Electronic Control Module.
PGM-FI UNIT is what Honda calls it
Funny. I actually took the PCM/ECM out yesterday and put it back in not knowing what is was. I'm an idiot. I did find the switch test procedures and will try them first or maybe just replace the switch. Like you said, that's the best and cheapest try first. I'm not much on the electrical fixing but I do alright mechanically and replacing parts So maybe a new switch to start with. Thanks for the help. If you have any more suggestions just let me know.

Reactions: Lady01
F

Fseybert

Jan 5, 2019
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No update, here. Just curious as to the resolution. Did you replace the Neutral switch? Was that the only issue? Thanks.

Reactions: Lady01 and AZRocks
F

Fseybert

Jan 5, 2019
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thank you sir! I appreciate that. I have the same issue and have that same switch on order. Just seems strange that the Neutral switch is preventing Park from being displayed.... I shorted the cable to chassis and all seems well. Thanks for the reply. NO I wait for the virus delay in getting a switch!

rcolson29

rcolson29

Jul 14, 2019
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This has happened to me twice now on a 2019 Pioneer 1000-5. Both times the wire had come off the switch connector. Makes a hell of a noise when it happens. Shop indicated it shouldn't happen again (again), so we'll see how long it lasts.

W

WVPioneer1000

Jun 15, 2020
Eastern Panhandle WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine did the same thing two days ago. I put it in park, shut it off re-start and it goes away. Could the shifter be a problem? Mine is a 2020 1000-3 with 400 hours on it.

Reactions: Smitty335
Lochsa88

Lochsa88

Apr 13, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
sounds like they need driven too. 2020 with 290 miles, 2016 with 390 miles! wow. my 2021, which it seems has been neglected the past few months, has over a 1000 now. haha I guess several 80 mile rides last summer and fall adds up.

always like reading these threads, so i can be a little prepared if ever have same issues.

A

Ammo

Sep 8, 2020
Mid-Mo
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well the OP hasn't been on since 2020
and the Post u asked about it over a year old.
Did u read post #8?
I just did - thanks

What kind of problems are you having. Is the one flashing. Long short. Count them.

flashing the 1 5 times slow then twice fast - turning it off then restarting and it goes away temporarily

sounds like they need driven too. 2020 with 290 miles, 2016 with 390 miles! wow. my 2021, which it seems has been neglected the past few months, has over a 1000 now. haha I guess several 80 mile rides last summer and fall adds up.

always like reading these threads, so i can be a little prepared if ever have same issues.
we've had this for about 18 months now - I start it up once a week to take the trash out to the .25 miles out to the road - I try to run around in it long enough to get it up to temp for at least 20 minutes - other than that we put on 100 miles that first weekend we had it

Bums me out that its still shine - never been wet or muddy - and its acting up...... grrrrrrr.....

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just did - thanks

flashing the 1 5 times slow then twice fast - turning it off then restarting and it goes away temporarily

we've had this for about 18 months now - I start it up once a week to take the trash out to the .25 miles out to the road - I try to run around in it long enough to get it up to temp for at least 20 minutes - other than that we put on 100 miles that first weekend we had it

Bums me out that its still shine - never been wet or muddy - and its acting up...... grrrrrrr.....
52 that’s the code. I think that’s the same one I had. Check neutral switch for lose wires or rodent damage. Under seat on passengers side. Run your hand along all those wires and make sure they are all connected with no chew marks.

A

Ammo

Sep 8, 2020
Mid-Mo
Ownership

1. 700-2
I pulled the seat and found the spot to check - it was clean, undamaged and the sensor was fully seated - after putting my fingers on it the problem went from intermittent to constant - it would go directly into limp mode instead of giving me 15 minutes ride time and resetting by turning the key on and off - constant!

pulled the seat back off touched everything again, this time while cursing and swearing - nothing apparent but now its back to good - no limp modes or codes

so far so good - weird do-do

???

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I pulled the seat and found the spot to check - it was clean, undamaged and the sensor was fully seated - after putting my fingers on it the problem went from intermittent to constant - it would go directly into limp mode instead of giving me 15 minutes ride time and resetting by turning the key on and off - constant!

pulled the seat back off touched everything again, this time while cursing and swearing - nothing apparent but now its back to good - no limp modes or codes

so far so good - weird do-do

???
Your narrowing it down. My problem was one wire on the neutral switch is held on by a ring connector. Like a spark plug on a push mower. It’s very hard to see from the top or bottom. It came off on me several times before I got it tight enough to stay.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!