P1000 Stuck in park.

SotL

SotL

Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2021
SW Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Been following this form for a while and this is my first post. I just purchased a used 2018 Pioneer 1000–5 deluxe a few months ago. I’ve always had problems getting it into low range. I changed the sub trans oil and filled it exactly with the 1.27 quarts of oiI. Then I tried to adjust the cable under the battery and that didn’t help. I was pulling down quickly on the shift lever to try to get it in the low then I quickly moved the lever back to park and now it is locked in park. I disconnected the shift cable from the side of the sub trans and I cannot get the sub transmission to come out of park. I rocked the machine back and forth, trying to move it, tapped on it, and even tried prying on it with a prybar, and it is stuck in park. I am at a total loss on what to do. I
Edcbc7afb2c911b188c54a3408efa70d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SotL

SotL

Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2021
SW Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks! and I have done that. This is the sub trans stuck in park. I also have a “-“ display for my gear on the screen. I feel like teeth are not aligned in the sub transmission to allow to shift almost like Metal on Metal direct contact.

Reactions: ChadD and TxDoc
Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Might have internal sub trans issues stemming from the low range issues you've had.

Had the unit been creeping in gear before?

Did the clutch feel like it's slipping before this?

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadD and TxDoc
SotL

SotL

Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2021
SW Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
It could get it to go in low by forcefully and quickly pulling it down into low. No noise while driving in low. I did have to slip the clutches the day before this happened going through a ditch because I couldn’t get it into low. That’s what made me try to adjust the cable. I am in southwest Louisiana is there any mechanics yall recommend? I know I can pull the sub trans but I have never worked internally on gears/transfer cases. I wouldn’t know what to look for once I got it opened up.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it's stuck in park, it is also has the rear end shifted in diff lock as well.
I don't recommend prying on it.

The book shows a "shift arm slit" on the subtrans being aligned with the "cinch tooth of the control arm shaft". Maybe you can relieve and realign.
And it also mentions a "return spring on the parking lock lever", internal spring.

I'd suggest loosening the cables you tightened then look at the shift arm alignment if you can. Section 12- 10 and 12-12 of the service manual.
Good luck
20240801 180353

20240801 180419

@Hello_Darkness aka Honda Tech will likely come up with something.

Last edited:
SotL

SotL

Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2021
SW Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for this. I am thinking it is the internal return spring for the park lever. I will probably pull the sub trans and try to rebuild it. I need to find a manual for instructions.

Reactions: ChadD and Rayger143
Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for this. I am thinking it is the internal return spring for the park lever. I will probably pull the sub trans and try to rebuild it. I need to find a manual for instructions.

Upgrade your membership and you will have access to the service manual under the resources tab at the top of this page. Good luck.

SotL

SotL

Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2021
SW Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I am currently using Tapatalk to read this forum. If I buy the lifetime subscription through/ of Tapatalk I can receive manuals??

Reactions: Rayger143
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am currently using Tapatalk to read this forum. If I buy the lifetime subscription through/ of Tapatalk I can receive manuals??

I believe tapatalk is sketchy. Might be easier to log in thru Safari, chrome, firefox, your browser of choice. Once you upgrade, you will see a resource tab at the top of the screen. You can find the manuals in there.

advertisement
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Sorry I can't be of much help, but please note you are posting in the P-1000 forum when you have a P-500 under you sig.

Reactions: Backwoods
SotL

SotL

Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2021
SW Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry I can't be of much help, but please note you are posting in the P-1000 forum when you have a P-500 under you sig.

I made that sig when I had a 500, I just bought a 1000-5 and don’t know how to change it lol

• Haha
Reactions: Backwoods
RacinJasonWV

RacinJasonWV

Aug 8, 2022
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I made that sig when I had a 500, I just bought a 1000-5 and don’t know how to change it lol

I might actually be able to help with something!

Click your photo at the top to open the menu.
Select “Account Details”
Use the button to change your username.

IMG 0652 IMG 0651

SotL

SotL

Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2021
SW Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
1270b97951bb1bb2d95e735c23349bf3

I found the parking lock lever spring had come out of its place in the subtrans. I am assuming me forcefully moving the shift lever back-and-forth quickly, made the spring pop out of its location. I put it back in its proper location and now it’s working. My subtrans will not go in low though. I am guessing I need new low gears. I have adjusted the cable under the battery box multiple times it’s not the cable adjustment, I disconnected the cable and moved the lever by hand on the side of the subtrans and it is hard to get it to go into low and it grinds.

Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Did you verify the parking collar was there?

I dont believe the 2018 models were covered under that recall, but it's worth verifying. If I recall correctly, I think they popped out of park though, not got stuck.

SotL

SotL

Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2021
SW Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I did not verify. When I get my low gears, I will verify when I install them. Since I cannot get it to go into low gear without grinding and clunking and does not stay engaged in low gear does it sound like my gears are worn?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did not verify. When I get my low gears, I will verify when I install them. Since I cannot get it to go into low gear without grinding and clunking and does not stay engaged in low gear does it sound like my gears are worn?

Yes

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a note to self..
The first time I changed my engine and subtransmission oil, I bought the oil in gallon jugs. I got in a hurry and overfilled the subtransmission by appx a half quart. Figured no big deal.
I never had any shifting in low problems until after this oil change. It would no longer go into low smoothly and did the grind and bang thing..what the hell changed?
I drained the subtransmission, inspected all the linkage, nothing. Refilled with the exact prescribed amount, 1.27 quarts.
Wheeler shifts fine. JMO