P1000 Sub-Transmission Oil change - Honda Pioneer 1000

K

Kyle

Jun 11, 2015
How often do we need to change the sub trans oil? Is this done with every engine and dct oil change?

D

Dasmoeturhead

Yup, as per the manual. I did mine at the 1st service just because I had all the oil change tools out, and it's only a little over a quart of oil more, and the drain plug was easy to access. Piece of cake. By the way, the oil in the sub-trans that came out looked like new. Probably a waste of oil, but I really, really like clean oil in all my vehicles, and equipment.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I was going to change mine but haven't yet! everyone was saying how perfectly clean it was and it isn't recommended so I figured Id wait till a year or so and change it then and see how dirty it was

J

JohnyRingo

Apr 3, 2015
When should you change the sub-transmission oil and filter for the first time?

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
When should you change the sub-transmission oil and filter for the first time?
100 miles
then Every 2 years (regardless of mileage)

jj88

jj88

Apr 20, 2016
Colorado
Great informative post, especially since, while doing my 1st service, I accidentally drained the sub-transmission oil 1st. Luckily I bought 8 quarts from my local Honda shop, so I had enough to fill oil and sub trans. Overall pretty easy to do, oil ans sub-tran, once you find everything, good way to get to know your machine.

Dallas

Dallas

Nov 15, 2015
NorCal
FWIW I just did my 100 mile oil change of the sub trans, engine, and DCT. After having the sub trans clatter under partial load and the rear diff whine, I picked up a bottle of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. I've never been an additive guy at all and I've owned turned up diesels and Corvettes, just never saw the need. I added a few oz. of the Lucas to the sub trans and topped off my diffs (maybe 2oz added) and it's like a new machine. The sub trans clatter is completely gone and the diff whine is 50% of what it was. I wouldn't add it to the engine/DCT oil, but I'm happy with the improvement in the other areas.

shawshank63

shawshank63

Jul 7, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FWIW I just did my 100 mile oil change of the sub trans, engine, and DCT. After having the sub trans clatter under partial load and the rear diff whine, I picked up a bottle of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. I've never been an additive guy at all and I've owned turned up diesels and Corvettes, just never saw the need. I added a few oz. of the Lucas to the sub trans and topped off my diffs (maybe 2oz added) and it's like a new machine. The sub trans clatter is completely gone and the diff whine is 50% of what it was. I wouldn't add it to the engine/DCT oil, but I'm happy with the improvement in the other areas.
Thanks for that good information Dallas. I'm headed to the store to get some lucas now. ( a note on the addative thing: I have recently purchased several small engine tools and toys both 2 and 4 cycle that were running erratic so I tried a fuel additive called mechanic in a bottle from home depot and every piece is purrin like a kitten now) Where and how did you "top off your diffs"?

utvmi

utvmi

Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
way I saw it was if it was going to effect clutches and make them slip etc Id rather now than later
So have you had any problems ? I'm looking at the Fully Synthetic route with the MA2 rating for engine and sub trans and then 75W-140 for the diffs.

Reactions: 541pioneer
utvmi

utvmi

Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The noise i have is constant gear whine which gets louder as you speed up . It doesn't change in the different drive modes so it is not diff related. i believe it is in the subtrans gears.I read in my manual that using any other oils may cause clutch slippage and so i will keep using the gn4 but will go to 10w40 approved by manual.
Did the 10w40 help with the noise ?
Also going to the 10w40 oil when it arrives

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think it is likely the rear end that is whining, not the subtrans. And I don't think there are any clutches in the subtrans (just in the DCT).

Waylan
I think you're right. The only gear noise I hear from my sub trans is when it's in reverse. Much like a manual trans car in reverse. No way around that but it doesn't bother me. And yes...sub trans oil never touches clutches.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm thinking about adding Lucas to my subtrans too,not sure how much though.

My sub-transmission makes a lot of whine. For my first service I drained all 3 drains. Filled sub-trans with synthetic 75-140 and engine/dct with honda oil. Is quieter now. If sub-trans is just a gearbox, why put engine oil in it? Will let you know in a few years if it has any effect.

UPDATE: Thick gear oil in sub-trans is a no-go. Gears grind like the oil is holding the gears from shifting on the shaft. Oh well. Had to try. After 5 miles changed it back to Honda specs.

Last edited:
ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi There!
can anyone point me in a good direction to identify the part numbers for this drain plug and washer?
I'm putting in an order of all the little parts that can go wrong during maintenance and unless I'm going blind, here its not as easy to find the part numbers as it is in the oil change thread.

thank you!!!

EDIT:
I think I found them at the Rocky Mountain ATV web site.. but they are listed as 14MM...
can anyone confirm if these are the ones?

WASHER, DRAIN PLUG (14MM)
Part# 94109-14000

BOLT, DRAIN PLUG (14MM)
Part# 92800-14000

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hi There!
can anyone point me in a good direction to identify the part numbers for this drain plug and washer?
I'm putting in an order of all the little parts that can go wrong during maintenance and unless I'm going blind, here its not as easy to find the part numbers as it is in the oil change thread.

thank you!!!

EDIT:
I think I found them at the Rocky Mountain ATV web site.. but they are listed as 14MM...

Part# 94109-14000

BOLT, DRAIN PLUG (14MM)
Part# 92800-14000

Those are correct.

Reactions: Romy69 and ch33br0h

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi There!

thank you!!!

EDIT:

Part# 94109-14000

BOLT, DRAIN PLUG (14MM)
Part# 92800-14000
If I may chime in, use a torque wrench and tighten to spec at least the first few times until you "learn" how gently these plugs need to be snugged. The crush washers do the sealing and prevent plug backout so they really aren't very tight. I know of a couple guys that just "tightened 'er up" by feel and got themselves into some serious trouble!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
If I may chime in, use a torque wrench and tighten to spec at least the first few times until you "learn" how gently these plugs need to be snugged. The crush washers do the sealing and prevent plug backout so they really aren't very tight. I know of a couple guys that just "tightened 'er up" by feel and got themselves into some serious trouble!

To that same end we had a rash of P500 owners following torque specs on oil filter cover snapping off bolts in engine casing.

Judicious caution is advised either way.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!