Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Cleaned up a few cross talks. This is the sub transmission thread, not the oil change thread.
Heed warnings about over tightening these bots. Learn to fell them out and feel stress points.
Stripping any of these bolts is not a easy fix.

*Adding parts #'s to post #1!

Cleaning up some talk about torq specs that bled over from the oil change guide.
See WARNINGS about oil filter cover bolts snapping off in the Motor/DCT oil change guide.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The Pioneer 1000 is a little different from your past Honda ATV or SxS's. With the 1000, there are 3 different categories that need to be discussed when changing the oil. We will try out best to cover them in detail. The idea is to help you complete the oil change at home on your own vs paying a dealer $$$ to do it!
  1. Engine Oil and Filter
  2. DCT Filter
  3. Sub Transmission
See Engine and DCT oil change guide -> HERE!
In this thread, we will ONLY be discussing the Sub-Transmission Oil drain and fill.
***WARNING - DO NOT DRAIN THE WRONG PLUG!***

Before we start it is important that you locate each drain and be able to tell which one is for what. There is 3 drains and they can be easily mixed up causing you draining the wrong one!
View attachment 10962

Tools needed:
  • A 17mm socket & ratchet.
  • Drain Pan to catch old oil.
  • Few shop rags.
  • Funnel with extended tube to reach into the fill hole. I use a version of this funnel from Walmart, it lets you turn the flow on and off as well as measured calibrations on the side: FloTool Measu-Funnel, 7pc - Walmart.com
Required Oil:
  • The Sub Trans requires the same type and weight of oil as the motor and DCT.
  • Recommended Oil - Pro Honda GN4 10w30, 4-Stroke Motor Oil - Buy Here
  • 1.27 US qt (1.2 liters) upon draining.
Additional parts you may need:
Note: Honda says replace the crush washer each time, most people do not!

Prepare the work area and the SxS:
Locate a safe and level spot to park the SxS.
DRIVE the SxS long enough to warm the engine. Around 5 minuets.
Drive to selected level spot.
Insure SxS is in park.
Turn off and remove key

Step 1: Remove the seat bottom where you will then be able to see and access the Sub-Transmission oil check dipstick / oil fill hole. It will be just off center more towards the passenger side for access and refill. Clean all dirt away from around the dipstick and remove it to improve draining oil flow.

View attachment 10723

Step 2: For draining the Sub-Transmission only remove the drain plug noted on the far left of the below image. It's bolt head is bigger (17mm) than both the Engine and DCT drain plug head (12mm) size. Situate a drain pan below the Sub-Transmission plug and remove it to drain the oil.

View attachment 10722

Step 3: Once all oil has been drained replace the drain plug using the same 17mm socket.

Step 4: Fill the Sub-Transmission with approx. 1.27 US quarts of specified oil using a suitable funnel.
Note: Sub-Transmission uses same type / viscosity oil as Engine/ DCT.

View attachment 10724

Step 5: Insert dipstick, (do not screw in) remove and check oil level, ensure oil level is between the high and low marks on the dipstick add oil as needed to achieve proper level.
[Add image of dipstick with proper oil level]

Step 6: If oil level is OK screw in dipstick and re attach seat base. Mission accomplished!

Now you are all set and ready to hit the trail.
Good luck and be safe.

Step 7: Posting about this guide!
If you found this guide useful please post and let us know. Not only does it show its use, it also bumps the post for other members to see and save some $$$ changing there own oil!

If you need further help please post below.

If you see a error, mistake or something out of order please let us know so it can be corrected.
Note: We make no claims of accuracy. Please referee to the service manual for official details.
Yep, very helpful, thanks @JACKAL

Reactions: JACKAL
D

duramaxman05

Apr 25, 2019
Perryville
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I changed everything on the first service. I put Lucas 75w140 synthetic in the diffs and it did quiet it down. I used gn4 10w40 in the engine, trans and sub trans. On my second service I am gonna use t6 5w40.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FYI,
Over filling the subtransmission will cause the trans not to shift normally in/out of Low range.

Yes, I over filled it slightly and it wouldn't shift correctly until I drained and adjusted to within dipstick range.

I bought two 1 gallon bottles of oil and didn't pre measure. Hot and took a short cut.

Jim

Last edited:
P

pgregory

Sep 18, 2017
lafayette tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
mystic synthetic blend 80-140 in the sub trans quietened whine tremendously for me......prolly by 80%!!!!!!

Reactions: russknight
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
mystic synthetic blend 80-140 in the sub trans quietened whine tremendously for me......prolly by 80%!!!!!!

I would not recommend running that weight of oil when the mfg recommends 10w-30 GN4 motor oil. Although it may be quieter, it has different properties and long term use may incur negative effects with internals and seals, etc.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I would not recommend running that weight of oil when the mfg recommends 10w-30 GN4 motor oil. Although it may be quieter, it has different properties and long term use may incur negative effects with internals and seals, etc.
Agree.
While you could go with a little heavier oil, that choice is way too much. Your practically running rear end gear oil in a transmission. Not good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Kill Joy! HA!

Reactions: russknight
Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know this thread is somewhat dated but I've been wanting to post this fo awhile. Has anyone used synthetic products ( Mobil 1) in the primary or subtranny??

Reactions: Wellzy
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I know this thread is somewhat dated but I've been wanting to post this fo awhile. Has anyone used synthetic products ( Mobil 1) in the primary or subtranny??

Sub-transmisson is less picky, however the engine with DCT and main transmission doesn't like molybdenum, it reduces friction of clutch friction plates and can cause them to glaze or slip in extreme situations. Once it slips its downhill from there.

That said if you use Mobile 1 synthetic for motorcycles with a wet clutch, that should be fine. Personally I stick to Honda GN4 and have never had an issue.

Leukic

Leukic

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2018
Leesville, South Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So the crush washers that I purchased from Honda dealer will NOT go over the bolt threads. It will be Tuesday before they are open again. Should I reuse the crush washer or wait till Tuesday and get the right size.

Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335
Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My recent fluid change was exactly that. I had two gallons of Honda GN4 10w-40 so that went in the engine. For the diffs, I used Royal Purple 75-140. I was going to use the special Honda synthetic oil with Moly for the sub trans but could not get two quarts before I wanted to get it done. I am an avid Mobil 1 user and switched my sub trans to Mobil 10w-30.

My engine oil gets drained before it gets brown, but the three holes that get drained every two years are now full of synthetic.

View

Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I find the 3D drawing of the 3 oil drain bolt's locations confusing at best. Although this is a Talon skid, the drain holes are in the same place.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recently changed oil in both diffs and sub-trans. Used Mobil 1 75w-140 in diffs and Mobil 1 20w50 in sub-trans. Noticeably quieter. Before anyone comes unglued and tells me that those viscosities are too heavy, please note that I’m in southern Arizona and it never gets very cold here. If it gets below 45 degrees, I’m probably not going to be riding anyway.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!