BOX1

P700 Super ATV Screwed Me, Don't Let Them Get You Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If it was just a little gap, I wouldn't mind. The problem is, the left and right edges of the upper windshield are at least and inch from making contact with the flat weather stripping. The only place where contact is being made, is about a 10" area around the windshield handle. I think that is excessive. Makes me wonder why they even bother supplying the flat seal weather strip to begin with.
I was once like yourself, I expected things to be the way I expected them to be in my head - idealistic. But over my lifetime I've learned to go with the flow. In this case it's the physics of plexiglass, it isn't a rigid material especially when suspended from the edges. My windshield is almost always raised, getting lowered only when it rains or I'm going to blast through a water crossing. Because of that it's bowed and probably slowly getting worse. It isn't here so I can't take some comparison photos. I also can't see if there's a way to preload the mounts that will help prevent bowing.

Other than it doesn't close like you'd hoped, I think it will keep water out as well as if it was flat and contacting the rubber weather strip. I've shown the path water will have to take to get inside the cab, some with trickle through but most won't make it inside unless you're going over 50 mph.

Good photos. 👍

Water doesn't want to flow uphill. 🤔
I z2VdNrX X2

I didn't put the bottom gasket on my windshield because I didn't want it rubbing a line across the hood cowl, I paid for that with wetness at 20 seconds. :eek:

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Thanks for all the helpful install tips guys. That's how its done. Its never going to be like an automotive seal on these cages. At least not without a contained framed windshield. Like most of these dudes said, there's some adjustment in the shock brackets, twisting in and out. BUT...its best to loosen up the top windshield, set it where it needs to be, and bolt it back down. Definitely helps to have another set of hands too.

And sorry to the OP for the hassle. We never screw out customers intentionally. At least not without consent. Feel free to PM me some more pics, and I'll try to help you further with the installation. This is definitely the most popular windshield out there for this machine, and I'm sure we can help you get it dialed in.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for all the helpful install tips guys. That's how its done. Its never going to be like an automotive seal on these cages. At least not without a contained framed windshield. Like most of these dudes said, there's some adjustment in the shock brackets, twisting in and out. BUT...its best to loosen up the top windshield, set it where it needs to be, and bolt it back down. Definitely helps to have another set of hands too.

And sorry to the OP for the hassle. We never screw out customers intentionally. At least not without consent. Feel free to PM me some more pics, and I'll try to help you further with the installation. This is definitely the most popular windshield out there for this machine, and I'm sure we can help you get it dialed in.
My initial install was 'busy', there are a lot of pieces and the location of each depends on the location of the others. After the initial install, I went back and checked for 'loading' on each mount and ended up moving almost every one of them. I have a bet with @Lil_Steve that the dealer is going to screw up the transfer to my new Talon, I'm betting they'll have all the mounts working against each other. He agrees, having mounted his own, but I'm makin' him buy the beer anyway. :p

Last edited:
T

tapaugh

Jan 14, 2020
Wantage, NJ
Ownership

1. 500
I was once like yourself, I expected things to be the way I expected them to be in my head - idealistic. But over my lifetime I've learned to go with the flow. In this case it's the physics of plexiglass, it isn't a rigid material especially when suspended from the edges. My windshield is almost always raised, getting lowered only when it rains or I'm going to blast through a water crossing. Because of that it's bowed and probably slowly getting worse. It isn't here so I can't take some comparison photos. I also can't see if there's a way to preload the mounts that will help prevent bowing.

Other than it doesn't close like you'd hoped, I think it will keep water out as well as if it was flat and contacting the rubber weather strip. I've shown the path water will have to take to get inside the cab, some with trickle through but most won't make it inside unless you're going over 50 mph.

Good photos. 👍

View attachment 225894
I didn't put the bottom gasket on my windshield because I didn't want it rubbing a line across the hood cowl, I paid for that with

Good photos. 👍

View attachment 225894
I didn't put the bottom gasket on my windshield because I didn't want it rubbing a line across the hood cowl, I paid for that with wetness at 20 seconds. :eek:
Call me crazy but I look at it this way. If you produce a product, it should work as was intended or implied. It shouldn't be up to the purchaser to correct whatever problem it has. For people to accept anything less, or to "go with the flow" only serves to exacerbate the problem and encourages shoddy quality control. It's as simple as that. That being said, I looked at my windshield a little while ago and although there is some adjustment that is possible, in my case it just looks like the windshield is warped.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My initial install was 'busy', there are a lot of pieces and the location of each depends on the location of the others. After the initial install, I went back and checked for 'loading' on each mount and ended up moving almost every one of them. I have a bet with @Lil_Steve that the dealer is gong to screw up the transfer to my new Talon, I'm betting they'll have all the mounts working against each other. He agrees, having mounted his own, but I'm makin' him buy the beer anyway. :p
If I remember right the slotted opening in the lower windshield was the last thing I tightened, here are some pictures even after screwing up and trailering for an hour and one 1/2 with the upper open coming home from Bear Creek ride.
IMG 4547
IMG 4547
IMG 4548

Reactions: CID
toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hopefully you get it worked out. I love mine after tweaking the clamps before tightening anything. I took a little doing though.

The only thing I had to do that I didn't like, was trimming about 3/4" of the lip of my factory honda roof. For some reason it touched the windshield in the "up" position. 5 min with a hacksaw and a little sandpaper fixed that though.

Reactions: TripleB
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you installed the windshield without help it will need some adjustment. I get the frustration but it is fixable. Also, I’ve bought several items from @SuperATV and they have always given me top notch service. Get a buddy to help you adjust it, two sets of hands is better than one in this case.

T

tapaugh

Jan 14, 2020
Wantage, NJ
Ownership

1. 500
If you installed the windshield without help it will need some adjustment. I get the frustration but it is fixable. Also, I’ve bought several items from @SuperATV and they have always given me top notch service. Get a buddy to help you adjust it, two sets of hands is better than one in this case.
Thanks for the tip and encouragement.

Reactions: Russ989
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X

With all due respect, I had exactly the same issue with my SuperATV windshield install on my Talon. I called SuperATV, got someone in customer service who clearly was not technically capable of answering the question and indicated that they'd pass my problem on to someone else who would call me back. I never got a call back.

Now, this is was quite some time back - long before COVID - so they can't use that excuse (which has become so prevalent with so many companies over the last few months).

Loosening the hardware to apply some *pre-bend* to match the bend caused by the shock cylinders did help mitigate the issue somewhat, but not entirely. My background is engineering (and yes, sales). It seems to me that a better design would have had the geometry of the shock cylinders and brackets positioned such that, when closed, they would cam over their fully compressed condition in the last inch or two of closure, which would have the net result of having the cylinders (which naturally want to extend) actually compress the corners of the upper windshield into the bottom section, rather than causing them to stand off.

BOTTOM LINE: It's a nice windshield, but has some flaws, 1) the afore mentioned gap at the outside corners, and 2) the fact that the upper/lower seam is positioned exactly in many people's line of sight, such that it really is a nuisance while riding (this isn't an issue for me, as I'm 6'4", but my wife HATES it).

Finally, many of you are pretty hard on this new member. How about a bit of compassion? The problem he's experienced is not new. It is a known issue to the manufacturer. Although I've had generally good experience with SuperATV, in my experience on this particular issue they completely dropped the ball. Let's just say their lack of response to me did not inspire confidence.

Steve

FeelinRecless

FeelinRecless

Lifetime Member
Jun 7, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
Looks pretty similar to mine, but I never have mine fully closed. I always set it at the first opening to keep some air flow going to keep the dust pushing out the back of the machine.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Unless it's changed much, you probably would have had some trouble with the Honda windshield as well. The instructions leave alot to be desired and even with it you have to play with the location of the mounts to get it right. I wished they would have given a simple measurement from a predetermined location to get it set right. 10" from top A piller bolt or something like that. It took quite a bit of moving over time to get it where it worked well. Hope you can get yours set where you need it, but the Honda windshield wouldn't have been better in this case.

Reactions: Ohio4x4
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Should probably change the title of the thread. Might I suggest:

" I didn't adjust my window properly and customer service was sub par"
Or
" I didn't manage my expectations properly and thought this would be 1st grade assembly level"
Or

" I failed to handle this like an adult and would rather say I got screwed"

At what point in the project did you ask to return the item because you were dissatisfied? What was the response?

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Should probably change the title of the thread. Might I suggest:

" I didn't adjust my window properly and customer service was sub par"
Or
" I didn't manage my expectations properly and thought this would be 1st grade assembly level"
Or

" I failed to handle this like an adult and would rather say I got screwed"

At what point in the project did you ask to return the item because you were dissatisfied? What was the response?

Yeah, right, because Heaven forbid that anyone should speak honestly and openly about a problem they're experiencing... :rolleyes:

Guess we forgot that this site is for nothing but sunshine, rainbows and lollipops.

Steve

Reactions: Isaiah and tapaugh
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yes, that would have been nice but it didn't happen.

Reactions: Isaiah
Status
Not open for further replies.
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!