P700 Super ATV Screwed Me, Don't Let Them Get You Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rickoshea

i'm with the op on this one.if a vendor is taking money for a product,they have a responsibility to the consumer.i won't play follow the leader,if a product is not up to a certain standard,i won't accept it because my buddy does.Edit: i'm not buying into the covid excuse anymore either,it's been 7 months now.

Last edited:
SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Please unbolt the upper section of the windshield. Have a friend help. An extra pair of hands will greatly facilitate the install. Mate the windshields together where you want them, and bolt it back down.

One thing to know....none of these cages are going to be exact. Frame tolerances vary. Cage assemblies vary. The windshield is CNC cut to fit the average (showroom floor) Pioneer. Any other cage and frame tolerances will effect how it lays. This isn't like a car with a framed windshield section. The round bar roll cage of each machine will effect how the windshield lays in the end.

Also, make sure the bottom seal is fully engaged on the lower windshield. They can be stiff sometimes and hard to get fully engaged on there. That can also cause some funky fitment issues. We always recommend soaking them in hot water first to soften it up, and you can tap it on with a deadblow if you're still having trouble getting it all the way on there.

J

JTW

What part is considered the "shock blocks"? I'll pay extra attention to them.
The blocks the shocks mount to on the windshield.. I can’t remember exactly what the issue was. But they had to go on a certain way or you’d have some clearance issues. The reality is... it’s likely your install that’s creating the issue.

T

tapaugh

Jan 14, 2020
Wantage, NJ
Ownership

1. 500
With all due respect, I had exactly the same issue with my SuperATV windshield install on my Talon. I called SuperATV, got someone in customer service who clearly was not technically capable of answering the question and indicated that they'd pass my problem on to someone else who would call me back. I never got a call back.

Now, this is was quite some time back - long before COVID - so they can't use that excuse (which has become so prevalent with so many companies over the last few months).

Loosening the hardware to apply some *pre-bend* to match the bend caused by the shock cylinders did help mitigate the issue somewhat, but not entirely. My background is engineering (and yes, sales). It seems to me that a better design would have had the geometry of the shock cylinders and brackets positioned such that, when closed, they would cam over their fully compressed condition in the last inch or two of closure, which would have the net result of having the cylinders (which naturally want to extend) actually compress the corners of the upper windshield into the bottom section, rather than causing them to stand off.

BOTTOM LINE: It's a nice windshield, but has some flaws, 1) the afore mentioned gap at the outside corners, and 2) the fact that the upper/lower seam is positioned exactly in many people's line of sight, such that it really is a nuisance while riding (this isn't an issue for me, as I'm 6'4", but my wife HATES it).

Finally, many of you are pretty hard on this new member. How about a bit of compassion? The problem he's experienced is not new. It is a known issue to the manufacturer. Although I've had generally good experience with SuperATV, in my experience on this particular issue they completely dropped the ball. Let's just say their lack of response to me did not inspire confidence.

Steve
Thank you. I was starting to think it was all my fault. I'm in my late 60's and have some pretty good experience as a handy man having maintained a home and various cars through the years. That being said, this is my first UTV windshield install, so I have more to learn about this. I'm also not going to drive myself crazy over it. I'll try this weekend to loosen it all up and see if I can improve it but given the warp that I see, I don't think it will ever be right.

Reactions: stellarpod
T

tapaugh

Jan 14, 2020
Wantage, NJ
Ownership

1. 500
Should probably change the title of the thread. Might I suggest:

" I didn't adjust my window properly and customer service was sub par"
Or
" I didn't manage my expectations properly and thought this would be 1st grade assembly level"
Or

" I failed to handle this like an adult and would rather say I got screwed"

At what point in the project did you ask to return the item because you were dissatisfied? What was the response?
As soon as it was installed and I saw the problem, I called Super ATV tech support. I never asked to send it back but just told them the problem and wanted to see what they suggested. I got a woman in tech support. I sent her pictures. A day later I got an email from her and this is a quote, she wrote "Unfortunately in order to hold the windshield in the open position the struts have to be strong and while closed will cause a curve. You can even see it on the photos on our site." End quote. How would you react to that?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
As soon as it was installed and I saw the problem, I called Super ATV tech support. I never asked to send it back but just told them the problem and wanted to see what they suggested. I got a woman in tech support. I sent her pictures. A day later I got an email from her and this is a quote, she wrote "Unfortunately in order to hold the windshield in the open position the struts have to be strong and while closed will cause a curve. You can even see it on the photos on our site." End quote. How would you react to that?
Consider the source? Did you ask her if she had ever installed one?

T

tapaugh

Jan 14, 2020
Wantage, NJ
Ownership

1. 500
Please unbolt the upper section of the windshield. Have a friend help. An extra pair of hands will greatly facilitate the install. Mate the windshields together where you want them, and bolt it back down.

One thing to know....none of these cages are going to be exact. Frame tolerances vary. Cage assemblies vary. The windshield is CNC cut to fit the average (showroom floor) Pioneer. Any other cage and frame tolerances will effect how it lays. This isn't like a car with a framed windshield section. The round bar roll cage of each machine will effect how the windshield lays in the end.

Also, make sure the bottom seal is fully engaged on the lower windshield. They can be stiff sometimes and hard to get fully engaged on there. That can also cause some funky fitment issues. We always recommend soaking them in hot water first to soften it up, and you can tap it on with a deadblow if you're still having trouble getting it all the way on there.
I will try what you are suggesting and thanks.

Reactions: SuperATV
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You know what? It's not up to me to evaluate their tech support people. I would have thought they would have capable, experienced people holding those positions. Also, I have met some women who were very capable and quite mechanically inclined.
Source, I implied no gender and I should have left her out of the question about installation of on, my bad.

Reactions: DG Rider and Isaiah
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeah, right, because Heaven forbid that anyone should speak honestly and openly about a problem they're experiencing... :rolleyes:

Guess we forgot that this site is for nothing but sunshine, rainbows and lollipops.

Steve

Well answer the question then Steve. Did he request a refund?? Did they decline? Yea I get he wasn't happy with how his window functioned. But don't act like a child and say you got f***ed. Could customer service improve? yeah it sure sounds like it. But he ordered a window and got a window. It wasn't perfect so he came b****ing to the internet to say he got f***ed. I'm asking where, when, why or how did he get f***ed?

Oh I'm not all rainbows I have plenty of b****es about the pioneer. Let me know where you want them posted.

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Yea that's not great service.

I would:

1. Ask others if they had the same issue, if so how was it remedied. Verify what she said. Customer service sucks pretty much everywhere.
2. Try suggested fixes
3. If unhappy with end result I would request a refund.

You didn't request a refund so therefore you have accepted the end result to be sufficient for what you paid. You can't say you got screwed when you never asked to return the product. That is total BS.

If you asked for a return and they said no, then you got f***ed. But that's not what happened.

You have accepted the product thus far without requesting refund or compensation.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Well answer the question then Steve. Did he request a refund?? Did they decline? Yea I get he wasn't happy with how his window functioned. But don't act like a child and say you got f***ed. Could customer service improve? yeah it sure sounds like it. But he ordered a window and got a window. It wasn't perfect so he came b****ing to the internet to say he got f***ed. I'm asking where, when, why or how did he get f***ed?

Oh I'm not all rainbows I have plenty of b****es about the pioneer. Let me know where you want them posted.

Is the OP guilty of a bit of hyperbole? Yes, as are ALL of us on occasion.

He did indeed reach out to SuperATV (as you have acknowledged in a further post) with almost identical results that I experienced (probably spoke with the exact same CS person). He did not request a refund - nor did I. Frankly, the thought of trying to re-package that rather cumbersome product back up and schedule reshipment was more than I was willing to deal with. So, no I didn't request refund. I decided that the product would satisfy most of my needs and I'd just live with the inferior fit. Lesson learned. But, it certainly gave me pause about purchasing other products from them.

All of this does not extinguish the fact that he felt he had been shorted by a product that did not seem to be the quality of design/fit/function he expected. I feel exactly the same. I don't blame him for announcing such, nor do I blame him for trying to keep others from experiencing same. Could he have done so in a bit more constructive fashion? Perhaps. But, in the relatively short time I've been on this forum, I've seen a massive amount of hyperbole from ALL corners (been to the PUB lately?). In short - Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. So, I'm inclined to cut him a little slack here.

Steve

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just bought and installed Super ATV's flip up windshield for my 2017 Pioneer 700. Reviews for this windshield looked good. However, after doing a very slow and careful install, I have ended up with an upper windshield that has a considerable warp or bow in it where the upper windshield meets the lower windshield. The only contact being made of the two windshields in just in the center where the handle is. There's at least a 1" gap on each side of the windshield. They give you flat weather stripping that's suppose to seal where the upper and lower windshields meet but with the large gap I'm dealing with, it doesn't come close to sealing it. Super ATV told me, the support struts that hold the windshield up, have to be strong and that's why there is a gap. In other words, they are saying, screw you. After spending $450 on this piece of crap, I expected much, much more. If you are considering a windshield, don't buy this one. I should have purchased the Honda windshield.
Doesn't sound like its put together correctly. It took some sweat and tears to get it perfect. Also a 2nd pair of hands eyes helps tremendously.

T

tapaugh

Jan 14, 2020
Wantage, NJ
Ownership

1. 500
Yea that's not great service.

I would:

1. Ask others if they had the same issue, if so how was it remedied. Verify what she said. Customer service sucks pretty much everywhere.
2. Try suggested fixes
3. If unhappy with end result I would request a refund.

You didn't request a refund so therefore you have accepted the end result to be sufficient for what you paid. You can't say you got screwed when you never asked to return the product. That is total BS.

If you asked for a return and they said no, then you got f***ed. But that's not what happened.

You have accepted the product thus far without requesting refund or compensation.
Is the OP guilty of a bit of hyperbole? Yes, as are ALL of us on occasion.

He did indeed reach out to SuperATV (as you have acknowledged in a further post) with almost identical results that I experienced (probably spoke with the exact same CS person). He did not request a refund - nor did I. Frankly, the thought of trying to re-package that rather cumbersome product back up and schedule reshipment was more than I was willing to deal with. So, no I didn't request refund. I decided that the product would satisfy most of my needs and I'd just live with the inferior fit. Lesson learned. But, it certainly gave me pause about purchasing other products from them.

All of this does not extinguish the fact that he felt he had been shorted by a product that did not seem to be the quality of design/fit/function he expected. I feel exactly the same. I don't blame him for announcing such, nor do I blame him for trying to keep others from experiencing same. Could he have done so in a bit more constructive fashion? Perhaps. But, in the relatively short time I've been on this forum, I've seen a massive amount of hyperbole from ALL corners (been to the PUB lately?). In short - Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. So, I'm inclined to cut him a little slack here.

Steve
True, I didn't ask for a refund, yet. I was really thinking, that I received a substandard, warped windshield. Many here are saying that I probably needed to tweak my install. How would I have known that if I hadn't come to this forum and bitc*ed? Super ATV offered no help until I showed up here with my story. I was thinking maybe Super ATV would offer to replace (not the whole kit) but perhaps the upper windshield. I knew that idea was out the window when I read the email (that I previously shared here) that their tech support sent to me. Also, their windshield has a protective film on it when you receive it. It states, not returnable if the film is removed. My has been removed. Try installing the windshield with the film on. No can do. I'll try to reinstall this weekend to see if I can improve it.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Aside from the aesthetics of the leading edges (upper and lower) not fitting properly what functions did you expect from the windshield that it isn't performing? My earlier drawing shows that it's unlikely to let water through and very little cold air - the two reasons I bought the windshield.

There are glass windshields available, as far as I know but they don't have the two functions important to me - 1. adjustable from the driver's seat 2. full horizontal opening so I don't have to look through it when raised.

I have two friends who are nitpickers, a product can be 99% right but they'll focus on that 1% and blow it up into a 90% problem - there's no way to make them happy. I choose to accept things for what they are, plexiglass isn't rigid, figure out the mounts and set them to load the panel flat.

T

tapaugh

Jan 14, 2020
Wantage, NJ
Ownership

1. 500
Aside from the aesthetics of the leading edges (upper and lower) not fitting properly what functions did you expect from the windshield that it isn't performing? My earlier drawing shows that it's unlikely to let water through and very little cold air - the two reasons I bought the windshield.

There are glass windshields available, as far as I know but they don't have the two functions important to me - 1. adjustable from the driver's seat 2. full horizontal opening so I don't have to look through it when raised.

I have two friends who are nitpickers, a product can be 99% right but they'll focus on that 1% and blow it up into a 90% problem - there's no way to make them happy. I choose to accept things for what they are, plexiglass isn't rigid, figure out the mounts and set them to load the panel flat.
It's not about aesthetics for me. It's about working correctly. Maybe water won't come in but maybe it will. I may add soft doors and back enclosure for use during the winter months. If I do that I will want to have a windshield that seals correctly and completely. I'm not sure why you mentioned your nitpicker friends. If you think I'm being picky, that's OK but I really am not. My lower windshield weather strip also does not seal completely but I know I can fix that with some more stripping or maybe some butyl rope.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
It's not about aesthetics for me. It's about working correctly. Maybe water won't come in but maybe it will. I may add soft doors and back enclosure for use during the winter months. If I do that I will want to have a windshield that seals correctly and completely. I'm not sure why you mentioned your nitpicker friends. If you think I'm being picky, that's OK but I really am not. My lower windshield weather strip also does not seal completely but I know I can fix that with some more stripping or maybe some butyl rope.
I mentioned my friends because they blow a 1% problem into a 90% problem, I think you're doing the same and I'm trying to talk you through it because I've been there myself.

My Talon's front differential seal started leaking at 300 miles, a known issue on some units. When it was in the shop for replacement, it was stolen. I've been waiting for a replacement since August 19th and the dealer still hasn't located a replacement (for whatever reason). I'm missing the fall change of colors right now. I'm less upset about that poop sandwich than you are about a bowed plastic windshield.

Back to your problem - fold a wash cloth, place it in the center and clamp the corners, let it sit overnight, if it isn't straight, bow it a little more until it's enough to straighten. Don't break it.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Everything on these machines fits like sh** if you're critical about it. The biggest factor being that the bodies are made of plastic and put together with plastic push pins, which works pretty well actually...lots of expansion and contraction going on and memory based on fastening points. Have made many custom pieces for a P5 and sweat every detail. That being said, if you were to strip these off and put them on a shelf or in a box for a few months and then send them to someone else, they probably wouldn't fit perfect but should be pretty damn close. It would be left to the installer to tweak and massage them into a happy place. FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!